360 belt service - DOES ferrari recommend changing the tensioners ??? | FerrariChat

360 belt service - DOES ferrari recommend changing the tensioners ???

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Jul 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I am going to change the belts on the 360 spider. It is a 2002 F1 with apprx. 12k miles. I have already had the fluids changed around 10k miles. I bought it last year April 2006 with 4,400 miles and it now has almost 12k.

The shop that is going to do my service recommend that I also change the tensioners. The parts are almost $1,000. Has anyone else been advised of this request from Ferrari ???

If you engin number is lower than 83762 - then need the tension.

any comments would be helpful.

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well, I just had my cam-variator campaign preformed and in association with this service they did my belts, pulleys, tensioners and bearings. I have been told by my dealer and other reliable sources that tensioners, bearings, pulleys should all be replaced every six years or 30k miles. Seems reasonable that your dealer is asking to do this service now.
    I have a '99 and they also performed a pulley upgrade. There have been plenty of pics documenting what can go wrong, spend the dough and have many happy miles ahead. The $1k sounds about right, my job came out around $2700. The dealer charges $127 an hour!!!! Although my GMC dealer charges $95 an hour, what a rip!

Robert

3. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    We all know that FNA recommends changing the belts every 3 years or 30K miles and that an extended service warranty can't be had unless this is done. And we all know its a joke because most of our cars have a measly 10K miles or so, but we do it out of fear and for "peace of mind". But NO, there is no FNA recommendation the tensioners be done as well. However, one might ask, why wouldn't a dealer suggest they be done at the same time; earns them $$ and removes the .00000001% chance that a visually inspected, good looking tensioner might break. And thus, on my CS, with the predictable 10K miles, I did get the belts done but visual inspection revealed the tensioners were in good shape. And so, at least I didn't throw away the additional $1K+ for that.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The LH tensioner gets changed because there have been about a million engineering revisions and improvements to it. Until you know which version is in your car, don't rule out the likely replacement.

5. Maranello Racing Cars

Maranello Racing Cars Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Wil
  6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Robert, check your email.
    The report that I have says to replace them if the engine number is below 60796. I am sending it to you now.
    Paul B.

7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Robert, I just checked an email I sent to someone else recently. The range that I was told is between 114015 - 123399. And engine numbers below 60796.

8. Maranello Racing Cars

Maranello Racing Cars Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Wil
    Paul, did you send Robert the Timing Variator recall or information about the belt tensioners??

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Yes I did.

10. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    From what I understand, there is a new tensioner update for 360's, perhaps a bracket that is a newer design. I think it's only for one side though. But, if you're replacing one, why not the other?

Robert, who's doing the service? If it's Wil, I trust that he knows what's necessary.

11. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Fred,
    Wil is going to do my belt service. JP's car is there now !!!
    Will has exceeded our expectations so far, lets see what the final bill is : )

12. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I need to get my car over to Wil at some point too. I want to have the belts and service done.

13. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005
    #13 DiMisa1977, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017