[DFW] Rob's a Pilot Celebration!!! - Saturday, July 14th 5pm | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[DFW] Rob's a Pilot Celebration!!! - Saturday, July 14th 5pm

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Jul 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lovick1

lovick1 Karting

Apr 30, 2006
    The Lovick Lodge
    Full Name:
    Timothy J. Lovick
    Congratulations Rob. Wish I could have come by but had a prior commitment.

I remember finishing my private... man... what a cool feeling it was the first time I went up without having to get "signed off" by my instructor.

The feeling of being able to just walk into the FBO, sign the plane out for the afternoon and go wherever you want to go... too cool! My first time I didn't go anywhere in particular... just wanted to get in the air and CRUISE!

Let's go up sometime.

Fly safely. (In the air, and on the ground.)

Tim

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have one question for all you local pilots: Why aren't you out scouting good roads for the next Ferrari rally?

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Heh.... How about running air cover scouting the roads during the next Ferrari rally.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Now that is funny.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Hey Rob, Let me know when you have some time. I have over 20 hours already paid for at marcair. I would love to take you up on my nickel. Are you checked out to flt the glass panels?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    They would probably let me go because they let me solo on it, but I'm not comfortable. I need your King training and then I'll do a couple instructional flights. I will actually probably start flying glass most of the time after I get signed off.

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    It looks as tough I am going to have a lot of time this week after Thursday. Let's fly to Stephenville and eat in one of the other 172 and I will bring the DVDs.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll PM. In Boston through Friday, MSR Saturday, and then hopefully exotic car nights Saturday night.

9. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Congrats Rob!

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

FYI, ECN is the 28th.

11. wildcatrower

wildcatrower Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Manhattan, KS
    Full Name:
    Jillian
    Way to go big bro! I told Keith about it...he is very proud of you and he says you will have to fly together when he gets home.
    When will you take Mia up? I am sure she will get the bug even if you don't start her on it right away..it is hereditary!
    looks like you guys had a great time in town square..wish i could have joined you!

12. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    When my son Blake was 3, I would put his car seat in the plane and take him with me. When he was 6 or 7 , we flew to South Padre for a week in a Barron.He knew the MHI , HSI ,altemeter and how to turn on the autopilot with it slaved to the GPS. I took off, got it to 1100ft, gave him the plane and with my feet on the rudder pedals he flew it back to 52 foxtrot without me touching the controls until we got in the patttern, and he complained about that. One of my friends is an Eagle pilot ( who owned the plane and is a CFI) that was in the backseat.That year for Christmas ,he gave Blake a logbook with 3 hours multi-engine cross country time. Imagine the memories and stories that will bring when he is our age.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Congrat, Rob. What will be your next challenge now?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I tend to focus fairly hard on new hobbies 4-6 years. I did that with triathlons before car racing. I will be slowing down my car racing, but will still race about 6 weekends while doing triathlons too. Now since flying will be the main focus I will get advanced ratings and experience next 5 years.

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    congrats - I'd like to fly, too, but can't find the focus time and you are wise to focus. The occasional pilot is the dangerous pilot, which is why I do not fly - yet. The Racing bug still has me pretty hard, and sadly it would be cheaper to operate a 182 than a GT3Cup!