Can you "almost" daily drive a 575M ???? | FerrariChat

Can you "almost" daily drive a 575M ????

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Peachboy, Jul 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peachboy

Peachboy Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Hello to all,

Please don't shoot me right away as I'm currently a Porsche guy. I own a 996 40th Anniversary, a 996 Turbo S and a Caynne Turbo S.

I've always loved Ferraris but was always concerned about two aspect of Ferrari ownership. First is the higher profile it impose on you and second on the reliability of the cars when used often.

I saw a 575 M and though that it was one of the most beautifull car out there. I also love the fact that it's not as hedgy look-wise as the 430s.

Can you let me know about the reliability of the cars when driven say 10,000 Km per year or more. There are a lot of missconception out these about having the service the cars very often.

I think it would be a shame to not drive such a beautifull car as much as you can.

Please convince me to stop being a Ferrari virgin and just go buy one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    This topic is often discussed and the conclusion is always that the 575 makes a great daily driver. 10K km per year is not a problem, just do the services. It is a very good and realiable design with either transmission type.

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The 575 is an evolution on the 550 as we all know. Cost- and reliability-wise it is very much a 'cut-from-the-same-cloth' experience, except that the 575 should have some of the earlier issues sorted out (although there were very few).

So, to answer your question: the editor-in-chief of EVO magazine has proven that it can indeed be used as a daily driver as he did 30,000 miles in a 550 in 18 months!

You can read his experiences, including costs, at the EVO website. The car broke down once during this hammering stint, due to a $1 switch I think.

To read his reviews, go to www.evo.co.uk and type "550" in the search box. Don't type "550 Maranello" as it won't fiind anything.

I have also read a lot of reponses on this forum that people here use their 550/575 as a daily driver. I don't think you can expect TRULY Porsche reliability, but it'll be pretty close, and certainly for a Ferrari the 550/575 was a quantum leap ahead.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Onno

4. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I have an '02 575, 996tt, BoxsterS, Cayenne and a few others. I have put close to 70,000 miles on the 575. Over all the 575 has been as or more reliable then the Porsches. As you point out the 575 is not in your face and were I live, most people think its a Mustang. There is no answer to the f1/stick debate. I would go for a stick and Fiorano if you can find one. My clutch is the original and is still in good shape.

Steve

5. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I have an '02 575, 996tt, BoxsterS, Cayenne and a few others. I have put close to 70,000 miles on the 575. Over all the 575 has been as or more reliable then the Porsches. As you point out the 575 is not in your face and were I live, most people think its a Mustang. There is no answer to the f1/stick debate. I would go for a stick and Fiorano if you can find one. My clutch is the original and is still in good shape.

Steve

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Steve, very impressive set of cars and even more impressive mileage on your 575! Nice to hear it has proven bulletproof.

Not so nice to hear people think it's Mustang!

Onno

7. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    It can be used as a daily driver - I did it for a year. You will need to accept that it is not the easiest to park and there is a limitation on the mount of luggage you car carry. I managed for a year but then decided I needed something a little more practical in addition

10,000km is nothing for this car. You will need to a yearly service (time based) and in addition the 12,000 miles service (at 6250, ~18,000, ~30,000 miles etc).

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I drove an 02 575 daily for three years, replaced it in 05 with a Superamerica, essentially the same car, and drove that every day as my primary car and added a 599 this year. The Superamerica sees quite a bit a weekend driving now and the 599 is now my primary daily driver.
    Modern V12 Ferraris are as reliable as any other modern cars. The more they are driven, the better and more reliable they are.
    You need to remove the notion from your mind that they are fragile, or that they require special care. If you use them they function well. The problems that arise with Ferraris that have created the perception of fragility are by and large derived from lack of use.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Welcome!
    Since you've owned a Cayenne then you're probably aware of how problematic those cars are. The 575 should be a step up in reliability and performance.

10. Peachboy

Peachboy Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    The Cayenne is actually reliable...my wife's Range Rover on the other hand....

Thanks to all for the info. I will try to find one with a stick...will ask a separate question soon on how to best get one.

P.S. I must admitt that I'm very impress on how friendly and helpfull the Ferrari community is...guess it's one more Ferrari myth to toss out.

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is a great forum Peachboy. I have been here for some time. People are very nice.

Dont have a Ferrari yet, but will have one soon. I have a 40th anniversary also and an M3. How do you like your 40th? I am looking to add an F (keep the 40th) and am gravitating to the 550/575 range. Maybe a 2001 550. From what I have read here and experienced. The 550 is a little stiffer unless you get the 575 with FHP. Performance wise they are close,as the 575 has more HP but is a fraction heavier. My attraction to the 575 is also understatement - I dont want attention. But part of me really wants a CS. So I have to figure that choice out. When a couple things happen soon, then I will pull the trigger. Have to complete the house project so I have somewhere to put it.

Good luck :)

12. Peachboy

Peachboy Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Hi,

I too am in the midst of a reno at the farm so we have a proper garage. Now the P-Car are sleeping outside.

I almost traded my 40th when I bough the 996 Turbo S. My wife protested loud enough that it became her car. The Turbo S with the added HP is simply silly in term of power and speed but....the other day I got back in the 40th and realised that it's actually more fun to drive than the Turbo since you feel everything. I don't know if it's the weight of the car or the front diff. but the Turbo isolate you unfortunately more.

Ferrari-wise I'm falling in love with the 575 model. In black or grey it's not as flashy and looks as nce as a DB9.

Let me know what you end up with.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Dr. Jekyll, let me introduce you to Mr. Hyde...

:D

I share your sentiments, though, the 550/575 has nice Q-car qualities. But do not be fooled - it's still a Ferrari and you still get all sorts of attention. But it's a lot less than other Ferraris, particularly on the highway.

Onno

14. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Hey, my wife's Cayenne has also be most reliable (knock on wood). The only think problematic with it is that it "makes" her want to drive fast. If I worked somewhere that I thought my 575 would be safe parked I would daily drive it over my BMW 650 or 328 GTB. The 575 is a magnificant car and it befuddles me as to why it never sold all that well and prices are falling like a rock!

15. Peachboy

Peachboy Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Any recommendation as to sources of supplies for a used 575....official dealers or Ebay ? Obviously the later being cheaper but riskier.

16. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Supplies? As in parts? If you ever need something, look for Daniel at Ricambi America (ricambiamerica.com). He's got an excellent reputation around here and just about anyone here can and will vouch for him.

17. Peachboy

Peachboy Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Sorry, by supply I meant a good place to look for used cars...sorry for the confusion.

18. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    EBay occasionally but the cars are still relatively new for really good used stuff to show up in volumes such as for 308, 328, etc.

19. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Tell me about it :)

I love the 550/575. Of the "current" Ferrari's its the one that attracts the least attention. But its very good looking nontheless and has a great GT design. To some degree I actually prefer the 550. The differences are minor but I think I would prefer stick (harder to find in a 575), the 550 looks (very slight differences I know), harder / stiffer 550 (assuming no FHP), the looks of the dash, the 550 smile etc. etc.

20. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I really like the 40th too. I will keep it and use it daily - I find myself using it even to run errands, drive to work etc. as its a great little run around and a lot of fun to drive. It has decent power with the X51 and has an LSD. I have had it for 3 years and it has been really cheap to run 18000 miles on it.

I dont think I'll run down to the post office in a CS or a 550 with a Tubi. Just don't want to deal with that. :)

Best of luck with your search.

The dealers that seem to always have 550 / 575 in inventory are The Sports Car Company (in San Diego), Steve Harris (Utah) - I believe. They both have good web sites. From what I have read here - both have very good reps. Actually people seem to gush over Steve Harris. Their prices seem a little higher than the others but then again its not what they advertise at, its what you pay.

21. CrazyEnzo

CrazyEnzo Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    almost all ferraris now a days can be used as everyday drivers. it really depends on whether u are willing to drive it everyday knowing that u will probably end up with a huge bill in fixing /replacing parts/service . . . clutch . . . spending money on it is pain but well worth it IMO. i know several ppl using the 575 as well as the 430 and 612 as daily drivers. (they enjoyed it but would rather not use it as a daily driver . . . lol they didnt like their bill in maintaining their car)

22. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I find that not attracting attention is a good thing. I can park in the Home Depot and not attract any attention. This car should be driven, if not get something else. I am on a "short" road trip of ~3000 miles. I just drove the two lane roads from Taos NM to Aspen Co. All kinds of weather from sun to heavy rain and hail. Driving in the mountains, hearing the exhaust off the mountain walls, and driving hard; the 575 is the best.

Steve

23. truman bond

truman bond Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2006
    + 1

24. truman bond

truman bond Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2006

I would search the list here and see who recently bought one and then PM them to see what their experiences were like. People who have just gone through what you are about to, will likely be only too happy to help you - and you will get priceless information that will increase your probablility of excessive joy and reduce your risk of excess $$$ and stress.

And as for Range Rovers being unreliable, hmmn - the dealer that sponsored me when I was competing, recently gave me advice on them - AVOID. But I still love them - but perhaps only because I have not bought it yet.

funny world when a 550 / 575 is more reliable than a Range Rover or a Cayenne.... but great though!

regards & good luck,

25. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    That sounds like me. I've been daily driving my 575 for almost a month now :)

Feel free to PM.

-dsd