Bay Area Drivers: the gig is up! | FerrariChat

Bay Area Drivers: the gig is up!

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
  2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Bummer. From the article: >>Despite its speedy drivers, there are fewer accidents on 280 than Highway 101, because traffic is lighter, Eberly said.<<

They really don't get it, do they?

BTW, the whole aircraft enforcement thing is a real can of worms. If they are timing between two painted lines that is an illegal speed trap, and you'll win in court. If the aircraft is pacing you, there's the whole airspeed/groundspeed/prevailing wind thing going on. OTOH, if they just alert the ground forces to get out there and pace or radar you, it's a whole different issue.

Keep your eyes on the skies...

Gary

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    A friend of mine just bought a new MB. He was on that stretch when a minivan pulled in behind him. He speed up to 118 and saw the red light on the dash, it was a Campus Policeman! My friend said what are you doing patroling the freeway? The cop said "raising revenue". He wrote him up for 70MPH. True story.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Campus police? I'd have argued until his ears fell off.

Oh well, they can ticket me all they want. For 7 tickets I've had in two years, I've ended up getting out of 6 w/o a day in court...waiting on the word from the 7th.

BRING IT ON!

--Dan

PS: Perhaps now is the time to invest in an active radar jammer :D

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Dan,
    How did you "win" the ticket situation?
    What's your stategy?

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Edward,

Come to one of the drives and I'll reveal all. It's very involved, but basically I use the written declaration as the crutch of my solution.

--Dan

7. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003

7 tickets in two years?! Not bad :) Even better is you beat 6/7, going for 7/7. These stories I can't wait to hear.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tony: the craziest part is none have been in the ferrari. 2 in the m5, 1 in a toyota, and 5 in the jag.

--Dan

9. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    After my last ticket, I decided to compile a list of all tickets I have received since getting licensed in 1987 (umm, I actually started driving a few years earlier). A very special prize to anyone who guesses how many times I have been cited.

I will only reveal the number in person, so as Dan says, come on one of the drives.

A couple of other interesting stats in the same spreadsheet: Running total of cop chases, with percentage of successful "tactical ticket avoidances"--very high on the motorcycles, about even odds in a car.

It's a work in progress. :)

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Thanks for the heads-up on 280...I tend to go on 101 now. If you have the weaving maneuvers down, it's just as fast. Right, Dan?

11. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    If they pace you with a plane, they can just get the speed off the GPS.

12. benjet

benjet Formula 3

Jan 14, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Lobenstein
    But how do they match that IDENTICALLY to you traveling in a car, say they were OVER you perfectly matched for 2 miles? How do they determine that the (plane's) GPS is ACCURATELY clocking YOU? are we back to painted lines, structures/objects that you pass?

If you are doing 140mph that's one thing but 80-100 I doubt that will hold up unless they are on the same road you are.

-Ben

13. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Matching your speed is what the word "pacing" means. It's the same as if you were paced in a car. If, according to the judgement of the officer, he has matched your speed, he doesn't have to follow you for 2 miles. The GPS in his plane gives his groundspeed continuously like a speedometer in a car. Your only chance is to challenge his expertise or judgement.