Supercharging the F430 Engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Supercharging the F430 Engine

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek K., Jul 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I hope I have been as of help
    if you need any further info, please let me know

If anyone else is intrested in supercharging, let me know,

2. FerrariF1v12

FerrariF1v12 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2007
    Liberty City
    Full Name:
    Christian
    given any current Ferrari's compression ratio,using ANY form of forced induction WILL take an extensive amount of engine rebuilding....If you want it to be reliable that is.

3. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    hey tiko,

dont even think about it. the f430 is a beauty not to be messed with. get a viper instead....

you will lose a lot of driveability and i do not believe that super or turbocharging such high revving engines is any good. i am sure that sooner rather than later the gaskets will give way.

leave it as it is !!!!

if you want look into ecu mods. this should give you same output as the scuderia....however i am not sure that it will work with our low quality fuel.

thats why i decided to stay away from tuning my turbo.....

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Morning S. ;),

I agree now...and I don't want to be ending up like your brother, having his supercharged SRT10 truck stranded for most of the year for supercharger issues.
    In addition supercharging the F430 costs about a 1/4 of a new 430 Scuderia so I bought the 430 Scuderia instead which has even a better performance than a supercharged F430.

Best, TK

5. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    I think a roots type blower is the only real way for massive, continual power with forced induction applications. The compression ratio will have to be lowered if you plan on using high boosts, this means internal modification, probably bigger exhaust valves, forged pistons, inlet manifold/ plenumn chamber modifictions to cope with higher boost forcing its way to further cylinders, more even distribution would probably be a problem. the only thing i can see as beneficial to turbo'ing is space, there is alot above the the exhaust manifolds/above the driveshafts, but where do superchargers go? They would have to be driven by the crankshaft, there seems to be next to no room there?

Tarek,
    great to hear you have orderd the Scuderia, how did it go? Did you have an official list to go on, or have you come to a deal bwtween you and the dealer? Any ideas on delivery? Ive been promised one so far, but got no signatures to show.

Best
    Michael J

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Michael. It's an official order through a contract placed with the Ferrari dealer in Cairo together with a down-payment. 430 Scuderia orders are now placed officially on the internal Ferrari computer ordering system.
    I will take delivery of the 430 Scuderia next March 2008 which is first availability to the Middle East.

Best,
    TK

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #32 mk e, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A roots type has advantages at low boost, say under 5psi, but is not very efficient as boost goes up. By 10 psi they are down to about 40% efficient. Above 5 psi it really time to go to a screw type blower, which looks very similar to the roots type, but can be up in the 70% efficient range to 15+ psi, which means a much cooler intake charge and less power wasted spinning the compressor, so more hp out of the engine.

Here are a couple links with some info….both companies sell screw type superchargers so they are a bit biased, but the data they present is all correct as far as I can tell.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/confused-about-superchargers.pdf

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/WHY-KENNEBELL-twinscrew.pdf

More at:
    http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/techinfo-general.htm
    http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/content.asp?PageID=77

Ferrari engines are very strong right from the factory. My 308 is running 22psi and the only internal change is stiffer valve springs to stop the boost pressure from forcing the valves open. The 308 is was build pre-high octane unleaded fuel so it's only 8.6:1 compression ratio to start with. The 430 will not tolerate much boost (3-4 psi maybe?) without dropping the compression ratio, but a set of custom pistons is only about $1000US, the real cost would be paying someone to change them.

Also if you try and go over 3-4 psi the engine will almost certainly run out of fuel and need the iming adjusted, so larger fuel injectors and an aftermarket ECU or find someone who can re-program the factory ECU.

Turbo(s) are definately going to be an easier fit/install, but a supercharger can also almost always be fit in somehow. The 430 has a very large/tall intake system, I would to temped to scap it and build a custom intake to mount the supercharger right on top, which is exactly what I've done with the 308 systems I've built along with build a water/air intercooler right into the new intake. The drive tends to be the biggest problem, but when worse come to worse, there are all kinds of shaft, gear box, hydraulic schemes that could be done to make it work. It would be a smoking fast car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Looks great Mark. I am impressed.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Turbos and superchargers have exactly the same problems with high compression, so that really wouldn't drive the decision. Turbos makes more hp because they recover some energy from the exhaust, but only work well at higher rpm. Turbos are the ideal track solution. Superchargers make less peak hp and use more fuel due to lower overall efficiency, but provide more average hp by supplying significantly more low end power which is very nice to drive on the street. Either will work for street or track and a lot of compromise goes into deciding which way to go for what application.

De-stroking an engine will decrease the compression ratio if stock pistons are used, but also decreases displacement and is quite expensive to do. The preferred method of lowering compression ratio is to alter the pistons. It costs much less money and does not reduce the displacement of the engine. A set of custom pistons made to any compression ratio you want is about $1000US.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Congratulations - did you get to spec it out yet; color, seats, options, etc.

Was there any indication that the production is limited like the CS? (There is conjecture that the factory is stating it is a standard variant of the F430 to appease the air bag czars, but that the variant might really be a limited production).

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Scott :). I actually did not ask whether it's production will be limited like the 360 CS, but I can find out. I know the person who might provide me with the information.

I configured most of the specs. Some are still pending.
    Exterior: Rosso Corsa
    Seats+Headliner T3D1: Two-layer black with STC2 Red Stitching and Black technical fabric on seat sides.
    Dash: Technical Fabric + Alcantara
    INST Red for the Rev Counter
    RSCH (Racing Seats) in Medium
    CALR Rosso Corsa calipers
    LEDS (Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel with leds)
    NAVC Radio Navigation + Bluetooth
    TPMO Tyre Pressure monitoring
    OFFP Passenger Airbag Off kit
    CDCH 6 CD Changer
    EXT1 Handy Fire Ext.

There could be some more options appearing in the near future which could be added.

12. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

WHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITEWHITE !

13. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :D...:D

We need to talk this over. I know we talked about it this afternoon, but white still makes me shiver. I must try to see a white F430 in the flesh. Anyway, I still have a lot of time to change colors.

14. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    whatever...........as long as it's W H I T E

15. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :D Seeing your GT2 in white will encourage me ;).

16. Bel360

Bel360 Karting

Nov 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Tarek,

Come to Belgium and you'll order it in Yellow :)

Bart
    p.s. you've got mail

17. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    #42 intouch1, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I think I need to start looking for a new country to live in ;). I need a yellow 430 badly :).

Got your mail...thanks.

19. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Hmmm...very cool...gives me the shivers ;).