Ferrari furious with McLaren's reprieve (Autosport.com) | FerrariChat

Ferrari furious with McLaren's reprieve (Autosport.com)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Jul 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Just released at Autosport.com:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61159

The last paragraph suggests this is a long way from over:

"Ferrari feels this is highly prejudicial to the credibility of the sport. It will continue with the legal action already under way within the Italian criminal justice system and in the civil court in England."

I guess if either of those investigations throws up more "evidence" (to satisfy the FIA) action could/will still be taken......

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Correct. The civil and criminal cases will go forward and likely be concluded after the season is over. If these cases prove anything the FIA can request McLaren to come before it once more for penalty and/or sanctioning. At that point the FIA will know the outcome of the season. If Ferrari comes back to win, the FIA would not have to do anything. If McLaren wins and overwhelming evidence exists, the FIA would feel safe in altering the results after the fact. Either way, the FIA would not be seen as meddling in the outcome of the Championships in the middle of the season. I do not find their current ruling suprising at all.

3. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I thought the criminal case was solely against Stepney? How does this implicate McLaren?

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Is F just posturing with this? I can't imagine they don't have a few skeletons somewhere. They should probably just focus on racing. I wonder what agenda they've got trying to push this further?

PS - I know, they're probably trying to torpedo Mac's chances at the championship. Win at all costs kinda stuff.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its easier for us to let go but for them if they feel Mclaren has cheated and used their IP , i can understand them wanting to continue to push .

Not only about torpedoing Mc points but punish them from the unfaire advantage they benefited from .

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think it does. It might but at the moment it is just against Stepney. But why isnt it against Coughlan too ??

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The money trail is usually what ends up spilling the goods in these conspiracy cases. It cannot help but implicate McLaren, as a McLaren employee ended up with the documents.

Now we at least see why Ferrari announced their own investigation a day before the FAI hearing.

And notice that they are now calling MCL "Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes" - not just McLaren. You would not have heard a Ferrari press release putting out the names of a competitors partners and sponsorships before this mess.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I believe you are correct.

(I'm not suggesting this happened BTW, but): Lets say the criminal investigation against Stepney in Italy throws up an email that he sent to Lucifer himself, in say, March asking for a job and including a doco titled something like "How to get the best from your new Bridgestone tires....."

That would do a little more than "implicate Mclaren" IMHO :D

And who knows what the civil case in England might reveal? - Mcl are not out of the woods yet and why I believe the FIA included the 2008 season in their ruling:

"we reserve the right to invite Vodafone McLaren Mercedes back in front of the WMSC where it will face the possibility of exclusion from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 championship."

Why'd they include '08? - As I said, this thing has a ways to go yet.

BTW, Mcl just issued a press release saying the decision was "balanced and fair"......

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61162

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Actually, it implicates Honda as we all know that Stepney and Coughlan approached Honda about jobs. Why are they not being dragged into all this? How do we know that the Ferrari (and perhaps McLaren) info was not shared with Honda?

After all Honda never said anything until it was revealed that Stepney and Coughlan had approached them. If anyone is acting like they had something to hide, it is Honda.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It is pretty clear Honda didnt know about this document..i mean how many points have they scored yet ? :D

11. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Ferrari should just do an internal investigation, see who else is spying, remember , this happened a couple of years ago. Also Ferrari should start backing off a bit on wanting to crucify McLaren, the shoe could easily be on the other foot in the future.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Dude - Please let's no go down the tin hat route again! - I just gave you an (albeit imaginary) scenario in which solid *evidence* is presented that proves RD, personally, had received a very significant piece of information way ahead of anything becoming public - That implicates Mcl. Nothing to do with Honda.

We don't - It certainly appears that Stepney/Coughlan were in league to go and join another team. But they're pretty smart guys and aren't going to *announce* that they have stolen docs to their potential employers. [Makes for a real good character reference :) ]

Plus, Nick Fry told us that they'd met but nothing "confidential" was discussed - As I said, nothing to do with Honda.....

That's complete BS IMHO. These guys are always "interviewing" around the paddock - It's all about trust - Honda had/has nothing to hide.

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I remember they agreed on not pursuing Coughlan with any criminal justice, in return he told them everything he knew (-> "The Coughlan Affidavit" ;))

14. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...FRY should be complaining about being let out of the loop! heheheee...

15. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    Just give Ferrari the same 780 pages about McLaren car and we are even.

16. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    PFFT HAHAHAHA ! Thanks for the laugh I needed it......i've been feeling like S*** all day because of this stupid decision the FIA came up with.

17. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Indeed now that would be far let Ferrari tour there whole factory and take notes and pictures of everything.

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    right, as long as they don't use any McL technology on their car afterwards :)

19. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    me too mate...me too.

Forza Ferrari AND tifosi dapertutto...

20. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You see, both teams could say the smoked it but did not inhale.

21. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    i find it interesting that they found VMcL guilty of breaking a rule yet they (the FIA) did nothing about it. And yet they fine you 10k for going 1km over the speed limit in the pits... interesting...

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This is a smack on everyone at McC's.
    Not too smart at least on the Vodaphone name; dont want to foul potential sponsors.
    Also the article states that McC had possesion of the documents; it did not. As we all know. Is this a fair assumption ?
    As far as Ferrari persuing this in private courts, it may be wise not to contradict ( read PO ) the sanctioning body's decision in which you compete.
    FIA's main concern seems to be damage control for the good of the sport which may be the proper response to an unprovable situation.

23. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    we´ll see...la vendetta è un piatto migliore servito il freddo

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You need to prove it in criminal court, but in civil court, you only need to show there is more than a 50% possibility that it's true.....it’s much easier to win in civil court.

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The documents given to Honda were written backwards.