Old 400i magazine article | FerrariChat

Old 400i magazine article

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by It's Ross, Jul 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I recall hearing of an article written back when the 400i was current about one of the then current Ferrari F1 drivers taking a journalist on a harrowing ride in a 400i from the factory to one of the European races. Monaco, I think.
    Does anyone here know the article I'm speaking of? I'd love to read it.

2. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I recall the article; the F1 driver was Jody Scheckter and it was published in 1979, the year he won the F1 title for Ferrari. I'm afraid i don't know exactly which magazine it was in or who the journo was, but i think it was either Motorsport or AutoSport. There is an equally entertaining story along the same lines but about the late Gilles Villeneuve in a 308GTB.

keeping the Faith,

Ray.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't think I've ever looked in this section of FChat, but when I saw the "old magazine article" heading, I was curious, as I love to research these things in my library.

I found two things. First, in Sports Car Graphic #3 (Fall 1979), there is an article called "Private Pit Stop" by Peter Windsor, reprinted courtesy of Autocar magazine, about Jody and Gilles at a Ferrari F1 test session, and Jody driving his 400 with Gilles as a passenger. Second, in Car & Driver, August 1979, there is a column penned by Jody which includes comments on his 400. It appears to be about the same test session.

I'm not sure if either of these is the article you are looking for, but I can scan and send the articles to you if send me a PM with your email address.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Jeff

I just PMd you about the articles.

Do you happen to have the May or June 1984 CAR magazine (I think it had a 288 GTO on the cover, and a numer of articles on Ferraris)? It has a very memorable article on the 400i by LJK Setright, who also wrote a poem about the 400, IIRC. I still have the magazine, but it is in storage 3000 miles away in the UK. I'm desperate to read it again, having become an owner in the intervening years.

Aidan

5. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
  6. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Here's a weblink to the 400i Setright article.

Flickriver: Photoset 'LJK Setright drives the Ferrari 400i 1984' by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!

While Setright's prose in the 400i article reads as if substance-induced, I found his words on the GT4 2+2 (it's in there, just look for it) contained in this thread to be much more palatable.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/442163-ljk-setright-period-comparison-article-250-swb-275-gtb-daytona-dino.html?highlight=ljk+setright

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm thinking Peter Windsor wrote the article when he was the motorsports editor for AutoCar (1979).

8. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The 365 GT4 tested by LJK Setright in Car Magazine July 1977 was #18183 for those interested.