1983 Boxer fuel distributor questions | FerrariChat

1983 Boxer fuel distributor questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dbcooper, Jul 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I'm working on an 83 boxer that is running like poopoo.The problem is on the right bank.Idle is ok but upon acceleration it burbles and pops and backfires and has no power.I checked the ex. gases with a 2 gas infrared scope and it shows h.c.'s at 800 at idle and goes off of the scale upon accel.C.O. is within spec.I have inspected and or tested all injection components including injectors and am now leaning towards the fuel distributor being N.F.G..I got the car running much better after leaning the mixture screw .However all other adjustments were way off at that point.When adjusted as fer spec's ,the way too rich situation returned.Can only figure that distributor is dumping gas and only gets better after leaning the screw.I have zero fuel dist. info here,so you guys are it. Thanks, Tim

2. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    Very seldom do the distributors give problems
    How did you check the other components? Did you put a pressure tester for system and control pressure? Did you pull the injectors and check the spray pattern for a perfect conical mist type of spray? If a few injectors shoot a straight jet or a random streams then they should be replaced.
    With modern fuel having so little lubrication these injectors take a beating. You should be able to get all of your control press regulator and dist. overhauled, talk to your foreign car parts supplier

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Perhaps the trouble might be caused by the other "distributor," as in ignition?

Have you checked the condition of your cap and rotor?

Boxers run lousy when the cap is full of moisture and corrosion.

Gary

4. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Or if the mechanical advance is stuck in place.

5. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I have checked all of the above,Ign distrib had a few issues but not the problem.I swapped fuel distributors from side to side after posting yesterday and still no good.Now I'm leaning towards a bad warm up reg. Tim

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

have you checked all of the fuses? i was telling jtr a few weeks back about my issue where the car ran and almost sounded ok...but had no power. it turned out to be a fuse and i was off and running. i cannot be more specific but give all the front, glove, and rear fuse junctions a look.

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    HIgh HCs are unburnt fuel, if ignition is okay next check the fuel pressures of the CIS, might try a cleaner as you may have deposits clogging the injectors, could have a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump as well, the fuel dist would be last on my list

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

this was my problem.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wouldn't hurt to try swapping the warm-up regulators too, although IMO it's more cost effective to just get the ($50~$70) K-Jet pressure gauge set-up and confirm/deny both the regulated supply pressure and the cold/warm control pressures (rather than doing a lot of labor, and there's no gaurentee that your "good" one, if that's the situation, is really that good). If the control pressure when warm is some wacky value, you can still get a decent warm idle (because, using the manual adjument screw, you can always get the "right" amount of fuel to be delivered for that one condition), but the fuel delivery vs airflow will not follow the intended design for other higher airflows.

If you did want to evaluate a fuel distributor's performance you'd need to either:

1. Find someone with the Factory set-up which measures the injector flow rate directly (at a given airflow plate deflection) with rotameters (first jpeg), or

2. Use a set of 100 mL graduated cylinders and measure the fuel volume delivered in a given time (at a given airflow plate deflection) to calculate the individual injector flow rates (second jpeg).

But get/rent/hire the pressure gauges and check the pressures per J.P.'s recommendation -- trying to troubleshoot a K-Jet problem without them is like trying to troubleshoot an alternator problem without a voltmeter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Maybe some bad fuel injectors ? The original factory ones are steel and they corrode over time and won't spray properly.

I've had all of mine replaced with newer style Bosch "brass" injectors.