Lets say I have $13,000... | FerrariChat

Lets say I have $13,000...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by EnzymaticRacer, Aug 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    So here's another one of these exercises. I've been considering selling my 2003 Trailblazer for a smaller car in the near future. Lets assume that I can get atleast $13,000 for it. Obviously this is in used car territory. Here are the criteria I'm looking for...

1) Decent gas mileage (I would say a minimum of 25 mpg in the city)... just graduated with a BS, so I'm gonna be a little short on money for a little while... I need to be able to run my car...

2) Would like something relatively sporty

3) Must be a straight, the more gears the better...

4) Would like it to be relatively comfortable for my 6'3", 240 lbs of blubber...

This thread is really to see what options there are out there that I haven't thought of yet. My family has some pull with a certain Mazda dealer, so I'm considering Mazda's fairly heavily right now.

What else is there that I could get, that will run well? If the car is cheaper to start with, I'd be willing to use what is left over to fix it up properly if need be... but any money left over is definitely a plus...

Any suggestions are definitely appreciated...

2. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Would have to agree with you.

If you like convertibles maye a 2.8 Z3 ... I had an M Roadster and my 6'1" 230 lbs fit in just fine and it was a blast to drive..I dont think the 2.8 is too far removed. also very reliable.

4. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I was thinking a Mazda Miata.

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Buy a new Smart car. Warranty, fun(ish)-girls love them! and with gas prices heading towards 5-6$/gallon in the next two years you will want an economical car.

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Put "sporty" on the shelf and focus on banking your money now(you'll thank me later).

My advice? Get a Camry, Accord, used Lexus ES300 or something along those lines. Something that you won't have to throw any money at and can be operated at a VERY low cost. If you have to get a loan, pay it off as fast as you can, if you're paying cash even better. Use the web and get-togethers to enjoy the finer cars vicariously and concentrate those resources and energy on your career. Do that and develop a hatred of spending money and you'll be back here in less time than you think asking for advice on which F-car to put in your stable next to that mundane daily driver.

That's my two cents...worth exactly(maybe less) what you paid for it.

Brian's idea of a SMART is also a good idea. They're not here in the USA officially yet, so you'd have to buy a conversion and they're more expensive than $13,000. I've got a thread somewhere else on them and am still kinda looking for one.

7. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    0-60 in like 16 seconds. Not an exaggeration. This car is grossly, grossly overpriced and is absolutely horrible to drive. Hardly any interior anemities either.

A redesign is coming though (or has it already arived?), but I doubt it will yield a drastic improvement.

Look elsewhere. Want gas mileage? Get a used Prius. A used Civic Hybrid. Whatever, not this ovepriced piece of eco-friendly trash.

:)

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'd get a Scion Xb. Although they are slow due to the small engine, you can do lots of upgrades and they get great reviews for the driving experience. Very useful too. Personally I really like the look of them, but many people do not.
    BT

9. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    If you can fit in it on a day-to-day basis, of course. Otherwise, the most small sports car you can get for that price.

Just as an aside, why not invest the money and then just buy a real airport beater on the dirt cheap? Most everybody has driven one or two of these while starting themselves out.

Or maybe finance something new with a super warranty like a Kia?

IMHO, if you put the whole 13K into any car of that value it will be pretty much gone when you need a new one

10. Amnster

Amnster Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    NorCal
    03 toyota celica fits all your requirement.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You can buy my Jag X type if you like...88k, cd, leather, very reliable.... :)

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    You can buy my 2000 dodge viper/ 12000 miles red /black.. Wait I am just joking!

13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    The smart car is now available in the USA (Okay-not quite yet-but you can order one now.) Price is 14k for entry level. Car may be a bit slow-but not 14 seconds 0-60. I had one in Europe and also drove a pre production US version model for a while, and have one on order. They are actual pretty neat little cars. Try www.smartusa.com. No conversion companies needed.

14. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Correction-Entry smart car is under 12,000 US dollars now!

15. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Let's consider the OP's guidelines again: something sporty, something that can fit his 6'3" 240 body into, a straight engine configuration, and good gas mileage. The Smart is neither of the first two (but it does have an inline three :) ) Yes it gets good gas mileage but I doubt he would be comfortable in it at his size.

Car and Driver test drove a Smart, they claimed 0-60 in 15.5 seconds. And EPA gas mileage at 31/43. 1 liter and 70 horses. Seems a bit underwhelming to me:

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12553/2008-smart-fortwo.html

16. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  17. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and nix the smartcar/mini type of options... just too small.

I had no idea that BMWs were available in my price-range. Just did some looking on ebay, and it definitely seems like an option. I definitely prefer that style of BMW over the more recent options anyway, so I may do some more looking into them.

I guess I should have said that I'm thinking about getting this type of vehicle to replace the trailblazer I have now... I want a sporty vehicle to try and help satisfy my love of driving in-between HPDEs (especially since they might not happen too frequently for a while now...)

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I've been looking into Mazdas, and possibly some VWs. What is there that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for all the input everybody.

18. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    would have to agree. i just the fourtwo on their tour across America and the gearbox was garbage, the acceleration was anemic and worse still the brakes actually felt wooden... at 14ish grand i'd pass.

19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    find a 2 or 3 year old Jetta TDI, Bank on it

50 mpg Great performance can't beat it

20. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    ahh yes... diesel engine... interesting option to consider for me. Now that diesel seems to be more widely available, this may be an option... are there any other vehicles that have diesel engines that would be in my price-range?

hmm... seems VW is just about the only manufacturer in the US that has diesel engines in this type of vehicle... atleast as far as I can tell...

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Benz...not many diesels in the US..unless you want a giant truck.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Smart car wouldn't be a bad choice.

id also check out the Sicons to.

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My first car was a diesel. I'm sure it is well below your budget. A 1982 Datsun Maxima diesel. Gets around 30 mpg, goes almost 75 mph, and tells you that the door is a jar.
    :D
    BT

24. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    SWEET!!! hehehe

25. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    there's Merc E class diesels, that are solid cars. The last generation model [2 round lights up front] with a turbo diesel can be had for around $5-10k, but they would have around 100k miles on them. They are nice cars. The newer generation E class diesels are over-priced, and they only can use, ultra-low sulfur, which isn't available in all states.