1st ferrari driving experience, finally | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1st ferrari driving experience, finally

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VisualHomage, Jul 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    yes, indeed. i am full of desire to buy a Ferrari and have begun the first steps as any would-be owner would do. the dealer is well aware of this.

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Here's a fine example regarding fake boxers, where you claim you could tell from the engine sound what it was.Pure BS if there ever was...
    "if i saw that car passing on the street i'd never know it was fake unless i were able to fully scrutinize the engine sound. but visually it has me fooled. to an aficionado, no, they'd know it was fake --but i doubt immediately." Lots more where that came from....

Here's another from a boxer restoration thread:
    "sorry for redundancy of praises but this is one of the best i've ever seen. the detail is overwhelming and the whole ensemble is above exceptional. that V12 is intoxicating."
    How many others have you seen to be so astute a judge of a boxer resto? How is a a picture of V12 "intoxicating"?
    This is typical of the type of comments where you try to appear really knowledgeable about stuff you clearly have very limited or zero prior knowledge of.

I really could go on but I have served the purpose of calling BS when I see it. Opinions are one thing. BS is something else entirely. Get your Ferrari. Enjoy it, learn about it and then come back to the forum with questions and observations based on your real world experience. Until then spare me. I'm turning on the indifference shield now. Bye bye.

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    ??? how is that BS?

if a replica passed and it didn't sound like a V12, which i've heard before multiple times at a distance, i would be suspicious. especially if it sounded like a Fiero engine!

that restoration, by it's pictures, is among the best i've ever seen --period-- of any restoration. i have seen many car restorations in progress or in finished form. both in pictures and while standing in the actual garage of the event itself. and this has nothing to do with me trying to appear to be anything but highly complimentary of someone's hard work that has payed off. that guy did a spot-on job and deserves every praise imaginable.

and a V12, the way it was restored on that boxer, was an intoxicating sight to behold. and i'd bet it sounds the part. it was immaculate and stare-worthy for quite a while. at least for me, the sight of a well-done automotive presentation can be very engaging to the point where it transfixes me. i was in awe. intoxicated. drunk with engagement to the subject.

i'm giving impressions and opinions inasmuch as many members on this forum do with regularity. if you are bent out of shape because i bashed on the F50 then that is only my opinion. i went to see the car in person at the Petersen Automotive Museum so i could actually understand it better. i went seeking first-hand encounters with these cars because i am curious and highly interested in the company called Ferrari.

and it looked better in person as many of these F-cars do. the only qualm i maintained to have with the F50 is the front end, particularly the giant scooped out areas on the deck lid. or whatever that thing is. i just didn't like that.

but from the rear of the front tires all the way back, it looks beautiful, better than the F40. you must believe me when i say i tried to like the whole F50 but i couldn't. and that is my view only. others like the whole ensemble. but i don't.

many on that thread came to refute my views with due diligence and that is what i expected. i was countered by very cogent points. and the fans of such a car will remain solid in their views. however i do not hate the F50 nor any Ferrari. nor do i hate the owners of such cars. tastes will differ even within the cult of the same brand name.

4. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
  5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    BTW, we are only the latest stop for the roving troll known as "bonzelite".

He's also been spouting on 350Z-tech, automotiveforums, newagegto, nagtroc, schwinnbike, automotivehelper, maxima.org, thefixx.net, gtrforums, freshalloy, classiczcars..............GET A LIFE or GET BANNED!!!!

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That many forums, eh? No surprise, this kind of assclown comes and goes on a regular basis here.

8. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Bonzo, unfortunately you’ve already cemented your position of negativity toward Ferrari, and by extension, the owners, with your long winded Audi/Lexus thread.
    Whether you actually meant to do this or not is now a moot point; The damage was done and no degree of back-peddling now will do much to rectify it. I’m not going to search for your quotes from that thread to prove my point, but just say that that’s the way I, and obviously a lot of other guys read it. To myself, and I’m sure a lot of guys here, you were no more than just another guy spouting off on your perceived shortcomings of these cars, denouncing those that believe Ferrari’s are the greatest cars ever, etc, etc, as being shortsighted fools, blinded by reality, or just chanting company rhetoric.
    The problem is that you were making these comments before you’d even driven one and had no firsthand experience.
    So now you’ve driven one and found it intoxicating. Lots of guys including myself suggested you drive one before you continued with your rants. And now you’re enchanted with the gated shifter, the satisfying snick snick it makes as you go through the gears. Had you been asking questions instead of trying to be the teacher, you might have learned that most all Ferrari’s from the very first ones have had these same gated shifters. Had you asked and listened, you might have learned that the 550s trans-axle is in the rear, and maybe even realized you could see one being built, from the casting of the engine, to the completed car on a program called ‘Ultimate Factories’.
    So enough of my rant. I happy you enjoyed your first drive, and perhaps found some of the magic of Ferrari, that all of us owners already knew was there.
    John

9. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    please explain how it is "wimping out" to wait to buy a Ferrari of choice, or to buy one that is not at certain price?

what is problematic with publicly stating such a thing? some members here have no Ferrari, and many members owning a Ferrari did not buy one at full market price. and many people are not buying certain Ferraris because the purchase price is not their target. some people simply wait. others impulse buy. and there is everything in between.

by such logic of "wimping out publicly," this would lump any and all owners of 308s, 308 GT4s, and 328s into the "wimping out publicy" category, then. and they are all "owned." the 3x8 forum should be re-titled as the "wimp" category. this is effectively what you are saying. none of those cars cost anywhere near what a 550 does. yet they are applauded. and i am condemned for wanting something far and above that level.

10. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    Um, V12? Boxer? 12 Cyliders yes, V not so much...

Flat 12, yes, V12 no. Boxer is a nickname for a flat configuration engine.

If you were the expert on 12 cylinder engine notes that you claim to be you would no doubt know and enlighten us with flowery praise on the unique and different sound that a boxer makes compared to a daytona for instance.

You comment on the fact that anyone who can afford a new Toyota can afford a Ferrari. True. But the guy buying the Toyota doesn't share his Camry masturbation fantasy with us, or share the salesman's opinion on his ability to navigate a lane change.

He also is aware that we do not necessarily care that his glovebox is upholstered in the finest grade 100% acrylic felt.

Your story reminds me of the 'Harley, Dinette Set, Harley, Dinette Set...' guy-

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    that is true, and likewise i stand by those comments as they still apply without need to drive the car. in my estimation i was not basing my views on aspects that required driving the car.

yes absolutely. more than i was before i drove it; the 550 was never criticised by me ever. it passed my test for what i would consider worth pursuing within my means. not all Ferraris, no matter how expensive or cheap they are, appeal to me in such a way. my Petersen Museum experience verifies this.

yes i know.

my comments were invalid no matter what i said. now they are invalid because i have driven one.

driving a car that i don't envision myself wanting would not much make me want the car whether i drove it or not. and would not much change what points i brought up. for example, the Lexus will more than likely pose a performance challenge to Ferrari whether i state it here or elsewhere. it looks better than the F430 and will more than likely outperform it as implied by Toyota as being it's specific target.

exactly. it's wonderful isn't it?

one has to go into the car to see such a thing to entirely understand it. there are others here who have probably never experienced this for themselves, either. so i am here to impart it. many people posting before the bash-fest were equally as intrigued. i hope for them they still are and see through this ridiculous witch-hunt.

many of the cars must be seen in person to get the full-on effect of their presence. some of them fall short and some of them rise above. please re-read that: some of them fall short and some of them rise above.

for example, the Daytona Spyder looked more boring in person than in pictures. again, this is my opinion only. the F50 looked better in person than in pictures. the 250 GT SWB looked equally as good in pictures or in person but is of course better in person. the Dino looked super fantastic in person compared to the 308, unfortunately. as stated previously, the Dino as maligned as it once was and ignored looked better than the F40. in fact, case in point the F40 looked more mediocre in person.

again, these are my first-hand opinions from seeing the cars next to each other in the same space.

the largest points made in criticism of Ferraris by me were about the F50, which i would not want regardless of how it drives, the LF-A as compared to Ferrari F430 (which i would take over the F430), and the the NSX in how it posed a direct challenge to Ferrari's 348, which it did despite repeated denials to such. this doesn't equate to hating Ferrari whatsoever.

Ferraris are not without shortcomings. as an owner, one must accept these shortcomings and realize that the entire ensemble is magical and worth the ownership experience regardless. but all cars are this way. not just Ferraris. i could go on a rant about the 550's shortcomings but that is not the topic of this thread. and if i did, they would be denied even if they were true.

cool. is there a YouTube link to that?

thank you, John

12. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    oh yes correct. sorry. i am still learning. that "flat 12" sure was intoxicating, then.

the boxer engine configuration is used on the Subaru and the Porsche "Boxster," yes?

so now you are framing me as a self-proclaimed "expert" when i am no such thing and never implied such a condition!

the sound of a 12 cylinder engine and a Fiero engine are quite dissimilar!

i have heard 12 cylinder engines cruising around LA in Lamborghinis and Ferraris over the years. they have a very telltale sound when passing by. how is that making me an expert? where are you getting that from, then? i am a newbie to Ferrari nomenclature and experiences. but i have heard different kinds of engines on the streets as many of us have.

i don't quite understand what you are saying. the 550M is not a cheap dinette set. or a Harley?

praises are given to those who purchase a 308 but i am condemned because i am looking for a 550, test drove one, and am weighing my options?

please explain this rationale. i don't quite understand it.

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You have such strong opinions for so little experience.

-------------------------------------

When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them - particularly verbs: they're the proudest - adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs - however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me, please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

14. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    350Z-tech, -moderator but seldom go there
    automotiveforums - sketching and drawing forums, great folks, seldom go there anymore
    newagegto - great folks, occasionally visit there
    nagtroc -moderator, frequently go there
    schwinnbike -great folks, haven't been there lately
    automotivehelper -never heard of it
    maxima.org -don't much ever go there anymore, got a skyline
    thefixx.net, -went there about 3 times to get info on concert recording
    gtrforums -moderator but seldom post there anymore
    freshalloy -seldom ever go there anymore, boring, too many children
    classiczcars -great folks, warm and friendliest board, actively visiting

15. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    please cite examples of opinions that i have that are disqualified due to lack of experience. and then explain what form of experience i would need to create a more valid opinion.

16. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually the Boxers engine is technically a 180 degree V12.
    Flat, yes, but still a V type engine.
    It does have a distinctive exhaust note though.

17. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
  18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Example:

You've been making a big deal about being entitled to think the F50 is ugly. That is your opinion and it is reasonable to think you're qualified to hold an opinion about a matter of taste. The flaw is that you then extended a personal opinion about F50 styling to a market assessment that the F50 is not popular because the market agrees with your styling opinion. You are perfectly qualified to think the F50 is unattractive to you. You are not qualified to think that that the market bases its valuation of F50s primarily on styling, nor are you qualified to think that the market agrees with that styling opinion.

To use your own words, you've learned through one test drive, that the ensemble of characteristics defines Ferraris (and other cars). So without test driving an F50, you've never experienced the "entire ensemble" and so can never be sure what someone willing to actually drive demand or supply for the F50 market is valuing and to what extent they may value certain factors more or less than other Ferraris. Simply, your lack of experience, let alone your now apparent lack of knowledge, disqualifies you from having an informed opinion about how the real market perceives Ferraris, let alone super-Ferraris, what it would be like to own one, live with one, maintain one or sell one. You can still have all the personal likes or dislikes or uninformed opinions you want; though you are now developing some more informed opinions about what it is like to drive one and shop for one.

This doesn't mean that you're not wanted. It just means you should listen and learn more and talk less. You've learned so much with one test drive, think how much more you will have learned in a year or two; then your better informed opinions might be worth some attention.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ...unless those owners of 308/328s, etc., actually wanted those cars, test drove one, and manned up and bought when a nice example came along at a fair market price.

"Wimping out" is deliberately going out to test drive cars $20K out of your price range so that you have a pre-fab rationale to shop without buying. You want to be ready (money lined up) and committed (if the car is good, I will pay up to this amount) to pulling the trigger when you go to test drive someone's exotic car.

What happened to your friend with the 355? That would have been a great drive, with no pretense of buying one.

20. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
  21. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    Ok, crankshaft timing is what it is... :) but you can't tell that from the outside-

in my book 180 is flat, boxer is boxer.

22. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    Really?

23. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    it's styling is more than likely the reason. that car's image is seldom featured over the F40 or GTO. it's image is all that most ever see or experience. and it's image is not up to par with the others. this is more than likely a large reason why it has not been as popular even though it is rarer and more valued in a collectible sense, a market sense.

it looks way better in person from the side and 3/4 rear view. i wish they would have gone all the way. it's a definite evolution over the F40 which was actually surprisingly more stale in person than in pictures. this is my opinion only.

the market for the F50 is not the same as the popularity of the F50. the market values the car much higher than it is popularly consumed in the pop media culture of car fanatics and screaming masses. the Ferrari market is not always = with popularity. i made this very clear in the thread.

take the 166 Spyder Corsa --very valuable in the market, and super rare, but is not popular whatsoever with the throngs of car fans buying merchandise. seldom to never is the 166 Corsa's image used to sell anything or brand anything or draw attention to anything. but the F40's image still is. as is the 288 GTO. that was my answer to that thread's premise.

it takes no such special qualifications to see these points. rarity in a market does not automatically make that item more popular or widely regarded. rarity can also act against something, having few ever knowing of it's existence. i have a hunch that this also works against the F50's "popularity." it's seldom exposed.

there are other examples of Ferrari styling choices being received with lukewarm attention, with popularity suffering as a consequence. would you like to know of more examples?

someday i will drive an F50. it's gotten to be quite a popular topic of conversation lately!

the opinions of the F50 as well differ from those actually owning Ferraris. i don't doubt it's a hell of a ride. i have never denied that at all. i would probably have a smile firmly stretched onto my face while driving it as i did with the 550. it's a Ferrari! but as well, i doubt most Ferrari owners with opinions have driven all Ferraris. i would wager that most Ferrari owners have never driven an F50.

at the Petersen Automotive Musesum, with multiple cars in close quarters, i was more drawn to the 550 than the F50. that is just a reflection of my own tastes and sensibilities surfacing. i admire the front-engined GT V12 Ferrari idiom the best of all for Ferrari layouts. i like other types but the front-engined GT Ferrari is my favourite setup.

the market primarily holds important the styling and rarity. those 2 factors are the pillars of the market forces. other factors may intervene, but styling and/or rarity matter most. one may be there without the other and that will affect the market. pop culture in general is not masturbating to the 1947 Spyder Corsa. but investor collectors/aficionados certainly are. why? ---> rarity.

in real estate it's location and lot size. the house itself is not as important as those 2 major pillars. the house itself could be fairly visually challenged, but it's location and lot size will more than somewhat redeem it. i own such a rental unit.

thank you. i don't hate you. and i don't hate those who hate me on this board.

i will learn more and continue to talk as long as i feel i have a strong case to make. or convey an experience. if i don't have a case, i will not post anything. my mouth is actually shut and nowhere seen on most threads and forums.

if you take an honest look, i actually don't post to many threads here. but the few i do post in go to several pages and tend to be among the most "popular."

i hope you're enjoying this one; i'm sure it will flip another page!

24. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    yes really.

i'm going for the car i want. not settling for less.

25. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    i understand that, yes. i like those cars a great deal. i will probably own one at some point. my infatuation has shifted nearly completely to the 550. it just has. it began to shift before i drove it. once i saw it at the Petersen i was like "damn. now i have to go for this one." do you know what i mean?

i see your point. but that isn't necessarily me. i'm shopping for the one that best suits my specific needs. and the timing is important. i intend to buy as anyone else has bought. i've driven one car, have seen one car. next......

yes that got cold and then is hot again. i just emailed him 2 days ago to check in. he revealed that he had to sort some things out. was busy, then i got busy. he's doing it as a favour. so i must be sensitive to his availability. i don't want to come off as bothersome or needy. but it's coming up, though. i will post about it. he has (allegedly) a lamborghini i may be able to drive that same day. pretty cool, eh? i've never driven one.

let's see how that pans out.