Ferrari's in Israel | FerrariChat

Ferrari's in Israel

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by serdvc, Aug 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. serdvc

serdvc Rookie

Jul 28, 2006
    Hi there.

I travel quite often to Israel and I never see real exotics, so I was wondering if there are any ferrari's or others in Israel?

2. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I know there are motorcycles there, alot more than you see on the streets, because I found a YouTube video of a motorcycle club with Beemers and larger touring bikes.

Isreal is beautiful land, only been there only once myself. Seems like it would be a NICE place to go for a drive in a real sports car. However, it might seem just a bit odd to have a Ferrari or any other exotic car in the holyland.

I have no idea if there are any Ferraris, Lambos, etc. there, but wouldnt it be a cool thing to start the first Ferrari Dealership there.

James in Denver

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont know about Ferraris ( I think there are a few ) but i know there is a Diablo Roadster, a lot of Porsches ( RUF , Gemballas too ! ) ...

4. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    How's the economy doing in Israel?

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The Israeli economy, has a lot to do with hi-tech. Every major hi-tech company, has several offices (+ R&D) in Israel. Intel, Microsoft, T.I., IBM, and many others. Israel is also very involved with weapons production. The economy is doing well lately.

_______

There is one F car in Israel. It is a red 308. LOL.

You cannot import into Israel a new car, unless their is a new car dealer network in place, to support the car. With that being the case, you only have Porsche, M.B., BMW, Jaguar, Honda (S2000), and Chevrolet with nice performance cars. Chevrolet with the Corvette. With a potential new F dealership, you would probably only sell one car, every month or two.

The other problem is importation taxes. In Israel, you pay approx 200% in tax, when you purchase a sports car (this is on top of the price of the new car itself). I believe a S2000 is about $80K ? A new GSXR 1000 motorcycle, is $30K. - Yet they also have a Ducati dealership.

I see nice cars on occasions. The best performance car I have ever seen, is a Porsche 996 TT. The new sports cars you see, are the M.B. SL class, SLK, Z-4, and Boxster. S2000 on occasions. There are plenty of nice Euro 4-door saloons, and SUV's running around. The sports car, is a relatively new concept in Israel.

_________

The other way to find a nice car, is a relatively new collector car program, that they have opened up by the MOT, over the last few years. AFAIK, any left hand drive gasoline powered non-commercial vehicle that is 30 years old or older, can be imported into the country. You pay approx 127%+/- for taxes, based on the assessed value of the used car. The tax is not that bad, if the car is a project. Israeli customs, values the cars, based on Krause's Old Car values price guide (used collector cars). The cars are rated from condition 1-6. 1 being show and 6 being a pile of junk.

This is how the 308 entered the country. With these collector cars, you have all kinds. 911's, older 280 SL's, Alfa, Corvettes, Fiat, 50's American luxury boats, and some muscle cars etc... With time, I believe more interesting cars will come into the country. They have a well established collector car club network (with forum), and it is an entire new concept for the Israeli automobile enthusiasts.

6. serdvc

serdvc Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Wow, thanks for the info..
    So there is only 1?!?!?!?! f-car in Israel....
    And where is the ducati dealer?

Thanks

7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Tel Aviv

8. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Great Post.

faz

9. serdvc

serdvc Rookie

Jul 28, 2006
    I dont really understand WHY you cannot import UNLESS there is a dealership... It just doesnt make sense.

10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Check the MOT website itself. MOT.Gov.il

You can find it all on the site. - They have an English key.

In Israel, you can import a car, if it is within two years old. You cannot import a F or L car, unless their is a new car dealer network in place, to support the car. It could be done, if the company decided to import them thru the parent Fiat and VAG corporation. Perhaps there may also be a reduction in automobile taxes, at some point ?

11. reuven

reuven Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Israel
    Very nice overview of the Israeli market...

There are more than one F cars in Israel, the exact number is four.
    There are some more on the way from the states and from Europe.
    I brought my 308 from Holland (American version).

Every Friday afternoon there is the oldtimer club meeting in the parking area of the Tel-Aviv university where you can find very nice and rare cars.

Friday is the day of all the clubs meetings: Muscle cars, Alfa-Romeo, Roadsters, Fiat, Peugeot-Citroen, Motorbikes etc'.
    If you need more info please let me know.
    Reuven

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Are the high taxes only appliable to Sports car ? ( What definition is used ? ) . Why such a tax ? Is a BMW 5er taxed that high ? or a Cayenne ? or even a Peugeot 207 CC ?

I dont undertstand these countries that taxe cars so high when they have no national car industry to protect !

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Isnt Firday for Shabat ? :)

14. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    This is a good thread! I've always wondered if there are exotics in lovely Israel. I'd love to go sometime!

15. reuven

reuven Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Israel
    Unfortunately the high tax is from the history.
    In the 50's Israel was a poor country and vehicles were luxury, so, the government decided that who can afford a car should pay high tax. At the time, the population got cuppons for bread and eggs per person per day, crazy history...

Later on nobody dared to change the tax because of the difference between rich people and poor people, so, the tax remained.

This tax is the same in percentage for all vehicles.
    We also have to pay 50% tax for imported parts (even used ones...).

These days the economical stuation is very good and lots of outside companies are investing in Israel, the stock market is the highest ever, the currency of the Israeli Shekel is getting stronger against the $ and the Euro.

Friday is the meeting day for the clubs and Saturday (Shabat) is the best day for trips (not for 20% of the population who are religious and are not alowed to drive on Shabat).

We have a long sea shore, very nice mountains (with amazing roads), beautiful desert (4*4 cars are very common).
    Lots of nice historical places.

No new F cars because there is no dealership... but many Porsche's... many tuned Jap cars ... many Muscle cars and more.

We have a large number of classic Alfa Romeo cars.

Reuven

16. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson

Hey mitch, i lived in tel-aviv for a year in 2003-2004 and it was the best time of my life! although i didn't travel much outside of tel-aviv the lifestyle is great and since i was working on u.s time i could go to the beach all day and start work at 3pm. The women are some of the hottest I've ever seen and i have been all over the place.
    It's very strange for the first month or so but eventually you get used to it metal detectors and security guards to get into pretty much anywhere but thats a whole different topic, just saying if you ever get the chance you should definaltly go.
    oops forgot this was about cars! well the whole time i lived there i saw ONE porsche and ONE H2. other then that lots of benz's etc., not saying there not there I just didn't see them.

17. lcdflat

lcdflat Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    KK,Sabah,Malaysia
    never see at there

18. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Ive been wanting to visit Israel for years. But when i go i dont want to just stay for a couple weeks. I want to go for at least 6 months and make friends and really get to know the people. Ive found if you want to see the best sites you have to get to know the locals. Ive been planning my retirement so hopefully ill have the time soon.

19. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Over the 3 times I've been to Tel-Aviv, the most exotic car I've seen was a 996TT, a couple of Boxters, but that was about it. Love Tel-Aviv and Israel...probably one of my favorite places...and yes, the women are unbelievable!...my heads on a swivel the entire time!

20. NoJo

NoJo Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Noah Joseph
    Thanks especially to ralfabco and reuven for the interesting post. Me'od Me'anyen.

I'm an automotive journalist (and Ferrari enthusiast...ssshhh) living in Israel. I moved here almost three years ago from Montreal, a city full of Ferraris, and have missed their sight around the Israeli streets.

It's true, you do see some expensive cars around, but not many. I've seen a current-gen BMW M5, a Mercedes S600, Porsche Cayenne, a couple 911s... most people with the cash, though, seem to prefer to drop it on luxury SUVs and sedans. Sports cars altogether are an uncommon thing in Israel, unfortunately.

I posted a similar post here about a year ago, asking if anyone knew of any Ferraris in Israel, but at the time it got no response, so I was glad to see this (and reuven's Kinneret post) this time around.

I did see something interesting advertised in the paper here a while back. Someone was selling a 360 Spider on what's called "passport to passport". In brief, when someone immigrates to the country, they're given a tax incentive on a new car. It has to be used within the first three years after immigration (the "absorbtion process"), and then after that it can only be driven by the owner and spouse for the following three years after purchase. After those three years, the owner can sell it like any ordinary car, but if s/he wants to sell it before then, only another immigrant who has not yet used his/her tax break can buy it, or else the buyer has to pay the remainder of the taxes.

Having moved here in late 2004, I've still got a bit of time left on my immigration rights (an extra half-year tacked on because of military service). Personally, I hope to get the new Alfa Junior (if only I could afford the 159) when it comes out, but it'll be a close fit with the timing.

Anyway, I'm moving to Tel Aviv soon so hopefully I'll be able to swing by the TAU campus one Friday before Shabbat to check out the scene.

21. reuven

reuven Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Israel
    #21 reuven, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Noah,
    Every Friday afternoon (starting from around 16:00) we are at the "coffee to go" outside of TAU, I hope you know the place.
    You are most welcome. It will be better if you will let me know in advance that you are coming in order to come with my 308, otherwise I have many cars and you might catch me with another car...:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The tax break for olim chahdash, who emigrate to Israel from a Western country, is not all that good. The tax break is not all that that significant. You still pay quite a bit in taxes. I "believe," it is about a 20% discount off of the taxes.

I also "believe" that you can only import a car as a olim chahdash, if the marque has a distributor in the country. If the model of the car is not imported (example Dodge Viper), you can import it, as long as the distributor (Chrysler) is willing to support (mechanically) your car. - You will need a letter from the distributor/importer, stating their willingness to support your car.

_________

The 360 story ? As far as I know, a tourist can bring in almost anything. The car can also be sold, to another tourist. A tourist can keep the car in Israel, for at least six months. After six months, it must leave the country. You can ship it to Cypress, and then re-import it back into the country as a tourist. However, I "assume" their is a limit, to how many times this can be done ? - I am not sure. You cannot drive it to Taba every six months, and hope to obtain another extension as a tourist car.

A tourist may also have to post a bond, for the actual tax value of the car. This is to ensure, that the car does not "get lost" in Israel. With a new motorcycle, a tourist must post bond, for the actual tax. After the bike is exported out of the country, the bond will be refunded to the tourist.

23. Roy890

Roy890 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007
    Israel
    Full Name:
    Roy
    HI reuven ...

My name is Roy and i live at Ramat gan
    I'm also love Ferrari cars
    can I come to see your car ...and if it possible (and i'll be rude ) maybe you will lat me to sit next to you ,and do me a ride....please..

24. Roy890

Roy890 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007
    Israel
    Full Name:
    Roy
    HI Reuven ...

My name is Roy and i live at Ramat gan
    I'm also love Ferrari cars
    can I come to see your car ...and if it possible (and i'll be rude ) maybe you will lat me to sit next to you ,and do me a ride....please..
    I never drive or sit inside Ferrari car ..
    It will be a dream that come true..