Daily driver/autocross tire suggestions | FerrariChat

Daily driver/autocross tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by futureowner, Aug 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    So I searched for this but didn't see anything specific. I'm looking for a good tire to have for mainly daily use and some autocrossing. These are going to be spring/summer only tires. I have a 2002 RSX with 18' rims, will do about 2-3 autocrosses/year so like I said, mostly daily driving. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Best thing to do is go to an autocross and find out what tires everybody there is using in your class. If you buy what the fast guys are running, you can't go wrong. Highly doubtful you'll find anything better, or even as good. Also, be careful to know what tires are allowed in the class you want to run in. Some clubs have rules against tires with too low a treadwear rating, for example.

Now, if you don't care whether you're competitive, and just want good street tires, then I think well of Pirelli P Zero Nero.

3. M Roadster

M Roadster Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sounds like you don't want to go with a DOT track type tire, if you are going to use it for daily. I would do with a Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. You are not going to get extreme tread life, but the performance is there. The Sport Cups are the competition tires and the PS2 is a drop below it. I can't verify, but on their site this is the OEM tire for Bugatti, Koenigsegg, SLR. You can read the reviews on tirerack.com and you will find that the only complaint is tread life. But as all things you either get performance or tread life, but not both. They also work very well in the rain. I use them and will again. No complaints about my treadlife.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-ps2/

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    There is often a "Street Tire" class at autocrosses, one that specifies a minimum treadwear rating (like 140 or so). Visit a few events to query those running the class on the "hot ticket."

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If possible buy smaller and lighter wheels, you'll be faster and won't have to swap tires on and off rims every time you want to go.

The BF Goodrich G-Force tires are fairly good and nicely priced around here.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *Traitor*!...... I swore (as did many others at the time) to never, ever buy a Michelin tire again after the '05 debacle..... :)

I guess time really is a healer,

Cheers,
    Ian

7. M Roadster

M Roadster Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Haha... So true. I just couldn't help myself, as their product / price / warranty is excellent. I talked to the BMW track guys and they all run Sport Cups and swear by PS2's for the road. It's not that bad either at about 240 +/- per corner. They are avid F1 fans too. :)

BTW if you want a lighter rim check out the Enkei RPF1. Though rims are a bit of a personal preference, they are light and strong (as in you can use them w/ normal use on the road). I ran 15's on the MR2 and they weigh in at 15lbs. / corner. If I am not mistaken the 18 / 19 variety weigh in the very low 20's. Reasonable price too. 18 / 19 run about 400 a corner. I know some will argue to go with a forged HRE or Kinesis but they are heavier and more expensive though they are stronger and you can go custom with offsets, lips and the dish size and they pretty much look like jewellery. I always liked Volk as well. All up to you. :)

8. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    #8 futureowner, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the info guys! Right now I have 5-Zigen G-Force rims on it, I will definitely get lighter rims when I get into it seriously.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey man. As an experienced autocrosser here, i'll see if i can help.
    It totally depends on what you are wanting to do and how serious you are wanting to get.
    A lot of the tires people have recommended (the pirelli's and the michelins) are going to be really really expensive.

First. What class are you running in? This depends on your mods to the car. Off the top of my head, i believe the RSX runs in G-stock (if the car is stock) or in STS depending on your mods (suspension, intake, etc.... are allowed in STS class).

Stock classes: The best tires are going to be slicks. But the same slicks you buy for autocross are NOT the same slicks you can take on the track. For instance. I am currently running Hoosier A6 tires on my D-stock Mazdaspeed Protege. These are strictly autocross tires, and would wear out in 20 minutes on a race track. So, naturally, you'd need an extra set of rims to mount them on as they are strictly competition tires.
    Here's the thing though. Since you are new at this, i would NOT recommend doing this. Here's why. (and i'm sure this also applies to road racing). You need to learn how to drive first on street tires. Slicks tend to hide mistakes and disguise the limits. (street tires will squeal and screech at the limit of adhesion......slicks don't. They just let go without warning). Also, if you really take the time and learn how to autocross well on street tires, once you DO get into some slicks, you will be one of the fastest guys out there.
    But seriously. Take my advice man. (it's not just mine, any experienced autocrosser will tell you), DON'T go with slicks right off the bat.

Street Touring Classes (STS for you). You are allowed some mods, but MUST run street tires. 2 of the best and most popular tires are the Falken Azenis rt-615 and the Hankook Rs2 Z212. (personally, i'd recommend the azenis). These things are about as close as you're gonna get to a slick tire that still has tread. Believe me, they stick like glue and you will think you're on slicks. Also, they're gonna be a LOT cheaper than the pirelli's or michelin's.

My advice:
    Since you're only running a few events a year, just get some decent street tires (even the ones you currently have are just fine, especially for the first few events.) So, run your current tires at a few events, then step up into a set of azenis.
    I promise you this is the best way to go. The Azenis are an excellent excellent tire (the hankooks are great too) for what you are looking to do.
    The most important "mod" on the autocross course is the DRIVER. Seat time is the name of the game, and the more you can get, the better. It's great fun----don't try to be a hot shoe because you won't be competitive at first, but if you want to---learn on some decent street tires, THEN go to slicks. (unless you're in STS in which case you just stay on azenis).
    I can't stress enough, though, get as much practice as you can----the best thing you can improve is your driving.

-I started out on P.O.S. street tires on a 96 accord sedan. Learned how to drive. Then i had a set of azenis on my integra for about 1.5 years. Learned some more.
    This is only my second season on slicks and i've been doing this for 6 years. I am now one of the top drivers in my region.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

let me know if there is anything else i can help you with.

10. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Bridgestone RE-01R, the best damn street tire there is period. All the Falken drivers are on 'stones this year, I ran Peru and was one of the handful of drivers not on 'stones and the times told a tale. They are 2-3 seconds faster than the Falkens on a 60 second course.

Warning though, they suck in the rain and you'll be lucky to get 10k street miles.

Edit: the Hankooks suck, as much as I love Hankooks R comps their Azenis/Bridgestone variant is horrible. Its noticeably slower than the other two, the only saving grace being tire life and better rain handling.

11. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmm......bridgestones 2-3 SECONDS better on a 60 second course.
    I call BS.
    You're lucky if Hoosier A6s are 2 seconds better than Azenis on a 60 second course. (they always say to count on R-comps being 2 seconds quicker than the best of the street tires on a 60 second course).

I have heard of them----and heard quite good things, but i think 2-3 seconds is a bit much.

12. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Shaved RE-01Rs produced the same durometer reading as a set of less than a year old Kumho V710s. Take a look at some of the recent national tour autox results and you will see the time differential between the ST and SP classes have suddenly become a lot closer. Unshaved the RE-01Rs are about 1/2 second or a second faster, but shaved they start proving their mettle as a very fast tire.

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thanks for the advice and while I'd love to say screw it and go for outright times, I have to drive on these things every day so I'll maybe just stick with Falkens like I have on it now.