Here we go again, some girl advice needed.. | FerrariChat

Here we go again, some girl advice needed..

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bergxu, Aug 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Ok guys, here's the deal: In college, I dated this girl for nearly four years. She was literally the perfect girl in regards to what I'm looking for in a mate, smart (a Greek and Latin major), funny, gorgeous, athletic and also kind of a punk/grunge style girl (her BEST attribute!). So anyways, after college, she decided that she wanted to take a job teaching in another city, and as you might imagine, it was a rather tough time for me because she wanted to move down south but knew that I couldn't go with her because I already had a great job lined up here in Cinci, and it would have been tremendously difficult for me to attempt to transfer to another city, so my future was pretty much secured here. Anyhow, long story short, we separated upon her suggest, and of course I was pretty f-ed up for a while afterwards, but I didn't want to be selfish and so I let her go do her thing. Fast forward three years to 2007, we chat on occasion, I see her when she comes back to visit, I've visited her a couple of times when I've had business nearby where she now lives, etc..etc..etc.......I'd say we're 'close' on the level that we're still good friends, however I've dated about five girls since her and I split up but I'm still convinced she's the girl I want to marry. Her parents love me (which is a good thing, not to mention her dad is a sports car fanatic!), and I've talked to both of her parents on a few occasions about their thoughts about us marrying, but they're the types who subscribe to the "if it's meant to be..." line of thinking, so they don't particularly encourage nor discourage the marriage thing, but I think they'd be in favor of it from the vibes I've received from both of them (oh, and her mom's a complete MILF, so....BONUS!). Ok, so here we are in August, now before I take this to the final part, let me mention that just previous to our break up, I took her to Rome, Italy for a week for her birthday in '04 as well as having studied in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales with her in college in '03, so we've done a lot of 'Continental' time together....

Because I, at least, still feel very strongly about her, I have made plans to take her to Paris, France in November over her Thanksgiving break from the school where she's teaching. She's extremely excited about the trip and I'm happy that I'm able to travel like that with such a great girl. But here's the kicker; I'm planning on taking an engagement ring which I bought back before we split up (she has no idea about it, obviously). And at the end of the trip, I've decided I'm going to pop the question to her. I know this might be a total shot in the dark, and undoubtedly one helluva shock to her, but I've gotten to the point that I need to know for myself if she'll be the girl I marry, and this is the best way I can think to do that. So, my question is; Am I totally looney to think this is even a remotely good idea??? I go by the line of thinking that "well, I could die tomorrow and never know...." and that's kind of my driving force at work here, so help me out guys before I either make it or break it!!

P.S..... She likes Ferraris. (and NOT in a materialistic kind of way either)

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

2. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
  3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Wow Aaron, I wish you the best of luck. Because I am an anonymous internet figure I can afford the chance to be perfectly honest with you...

Simply put, she wouldn't have moved away or taken a job away from you if she was truly into you and really thought you were the one to marry. My college gf wanted to spend the rest of her life with me and was prepared to follow me half way around the globe for me and forgo her own desires. Second, her parent's response comes across as a bad sign to me. Their "If it's meant to be" seems like they are trying to hide you from the truth and are letting you down easy. Again, my current gf's parents are divorced and have both asked me twice on separate occasions if I could hurry up the process.

Now all that said, I don't want to "spook" you out and ultimately it is a private matter and no amount of internet advice will steer you one way or the other...just saying. That said I wish you much luck. I like the goth/punk thing too :)

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Aaron, forget the other thread... It takes balls to go through with what you've planned... I say go for it. If things don't go well on the trip, then you'll know not to ask her at the end. But if things play out the way you see them in your heart, then you should definitely go for it. It'd be romantic after a trip like that and you don't ever want to be that guy who says, "what if I would've asked her..."

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Do you know if she's dating and dated someone lately? Who would me moving for you to be together?
    Agreeing on the trip with you is a good indication but if this comes as a total surprise maybe she'll freak out.
    I hope it all works out but you probably should try to gauge her before you pop the question.

6. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    +1 !!!

I really think your stance on this is far more grounded than the average guy in your spot. I say do it, just roll with it. Your only helping yourself out by doing this, you won't have to wait to know your answer vs. dragging it out as long as possible.

And good idea on this thread, but ultimately don't listen to anyone who offers different of your own opinion. You seem past the point of debating, let positive and negative feedback motivate you even more.

7. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    In your gut you know the answer to this better than anyone.

Look at the bright side, if she says no you can pocket the ring money and save on the continental woo-ing trips...

If she says yes you will have the opportunity to argue over which city to live in... ahh, young love!

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have a sense that she really likes you but may not be in love. These things are not logical but emotional. It is important that both parties really want the same thing and it would be a mistake to sweep her off her feet with the big trip and then pop the question. Go on the trip , have a great time, talk it over when you come home and see what she says. The idea is to have a long term relationship and not just win her vote for a year or two. If you seem at all desperate she won't go for it. Just because you tried dating 5 girls that is still just a few. If this works out fine go for it. If not , there are 30 million more for you to try.

10. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks fellas, for all of the replies! Each one was good yet different wisdom, and I always like to have others' perspectives on certain situations, and I figured this might be a good one to ask about.

If I may gloat for a second ;) you'd think that a 26 year old executive with a great job at a top investment firm who has a nice house and nice cars (which I worked hard and saved for, NONE of that was handed to me, and she knows that) wouldn't have such a hard time wooing the girl he loves! But that's part of her charm, in a weird way, she looks past all of that "stuff" and at the person inside......I can work hard for any 'thing' I want and have it, but she's the elusive one, she can't be had by working hard at my day job or driving a Ferrari or any of that stuff. It's a different path to get to her..

BTW, I think she's dated a couple of different guys in the meantime, but she's back to single at present.

So I'll be thinking this through long and hard, and yes, if she does say no, that ring is going to pay for a service on the 308 :D

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

11. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I say go for it. If she says "no" you've got one hell of a long, awkward flight back to the states, but hey, you are probably already aware of the risks.

From what you've said you seem like an intelligent, successful man. I don't think you'd do this if you thought it was a bad idea.

The only thing I see that's an issue is the fact that she moved away from you. That happened to my best guy friend. His gf moved away for a dream. I think that's selfish. If you really love someone you stay with them and look for other options. What's success if you don't have someone to share it with? It's possible she's had time to realize that she made a mistake and still loves you though, and I hope that's the case for your sake.

A sincere good luck to you!

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    She sounds like a great young woman.
    So, who moves? You are both mid-twenties, at the critical start phase of work experience and establishing personal independance and self security (very important for smart women - and she sounds smart). Listen to your own last post - you are all about proving yourself as well and I am sure she is also. She certainly doesn't have any pressing practical reason to get married - in fact in a larger sense some would say it is counter productive at this age as she is proving herself.
    Do you love each other enough that you would put the relationship before the career? Not her, you. If you will not, you must ask yourself how can you expect her to do what you will not. That is what she is going to think if not actually ask and test you, so think it through.
    You've both chosen career before. What's different now? Commitment? A willingness to compromise, even? Did I mention you are both highly motivated, educated and ambitious twenty-somethings already?
    As someone said, there are millions more women out there; she knows there are millions of more men - what makes you so special that NOW is the time?
    I hope things work out for the best, but I know from hurtful experience that hope sometimes prevents folks from thinking things through from both sides.
    Good luck!

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i say, go for it. look at it this way, u have nothing to lose. but, u will have everything to lose if u don't pop the question now, and she ends up with someone else. thats pretty shiity then. all the best. :)

14. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    maybe, u can pretend to get a heart attack or something, start complaining about chest pains, and when she starts getting worried, then u can say, 'u know, i didn't know what i should do to get ur attention, and since i have ur attention now, i suppose all this pain will go away if u would marry me....' :D :D

15. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Haha, I think she'd slap me.

Stephanie, thanks for the girl's prospective on this. Certainly true that the flight could be very long. But that's the chance I'll have to take I guess ;)

Snj: You bring up a good point about relocation. What I'll say is that her high school alma mater here in Cincinnati has offered her a position to come back and teach there, but she's signed another year contract with the school she's presently at so it would be at least a year before she'd be coming back. My job *would* allow for me to transfer close(r) to her, but that also depends whether or not there is a need for someone in my position in our Atlanta office.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

16. John Harry

John Harry Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2005
    Pittsburgh PA
    Full Name:
    John Harry
    If you don't ask you will never know, and you will always wonder.

17. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    John got it in one! Good luck - I hope she says yes, but at least if you ask her and she says no, you can then get closure and move on; and if you don't ask, you'll never know!

And don't worry about the flight home - you can ask for a seat at the opposite end of the plane to her if needs be...

18. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  19. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Aaron,

I don't know you or her, but I'll add an opinion to the mix.

What worries me most about your post is the circumstances under which your relationship has continued on over the past few years: occasional phone calls and expensive trips. I wonder - and truly not knowing the two of you or how you interact makes this entirely speculative - whether this has given the both of you a view of what can be called "real life" together. It is easy to 'love' someone you merely like while wandering the streets of Rome or shopping in Paris. Similarly, it is easy to overlook flaws and misinterpret signals when you're only talking once in a while.

It is difficult for me to tell how 'one sided' your relationship has been, but I can't help but wonder how much she calls/contacts you and whether she sees you as a friend who takes her on expensive trips.

I hope my suspicions are wrong and that her moving away is simply a product of her realizing that she needs 'time and space' to figure herself out before settling down forever. However, I have to wonder whether her decision to move away and teach in the inner city (Cincinnati has opportunities to do that) isn't the manifestation of something different. I've seen it happen more than once and been there myself -- a guy who is more into the girl than she is to him. Heartbreak inevitably follows.

As a wise woman once said to me, "I don't know" means exactly what it sounds like: "I don't. No."

I hate to put the damper on what would otherwise be a magnificently romantic gesture, but the fact that you have no idea what the outcome will be worries me. You should know the answer before you ask the question. (I'd feel better if the two of you were moving in the same direction life-wise before you took the trip.)

20. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Chris,

Wow, GREAT piece of wisdom there! Are you sure you're not psychic ;)

You've most certainly touched on some important points in your response, and those points are exactly what I've been considering for a long time now. So we'll see how everything pans out, and I'll be eagerly awaiting November.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Aaron, obviously, good heads are on both sets of shoulders, and your heart is obviously in the right place. Given the amount of time you spent together before the sweet sorrow, I'm sure you got to know each other at what I call "room temperature" - not the "sizzle" of travel and so forth.

She had to set forth on her venture, or else, she would sit up at night wondering, "what if."

Now;

You have to ask her to be your ball and chain, or else, you'll be asking yourself "what if."

"If" she says "no," then;

it sure beats livin' on skidrow, drinking rotgut and wondering, "what if"

22. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger

WOW, you plan to be near her IF she comes to you, but she has already planned to be away from you. If she really wanted you, it seems you two would have been having a long distance relationship. There are too many fish in the sea. Move on.

23. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well, we will see what happens. After reading the variety of information from everyone, I think that asking her *the* question is what I need to do. At least for myself. At this point, there's nothing to lose anyways, and if she says no then I'll have settlement with myself in that I need to pursue other ventures more seriously.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    you say this like it's a bad thing

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    if she says no, IF, that is, ;) i think u should be proud at the fact that at least u tried. i suggest, u take her to the movies, watch Rush Hour 3, and while both of u are laughing like hell, then pop the question :D :D...........

of cos i was jokin :p