The real reason the 355 has so much horsepower per liter | FerrariChat

The real reason the 355 has so much horsepower per liter

Discussion in '348/355' started by J.P.Sarti, Aug 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the link - good reading.

Sounds like di Montezemolo is the fellow we have to thank for the 'comfy modern' Ferrari -- 360, 550, etc.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That was an interesting read.

4. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    but i bet he looked cooler in his 348;) that was a good read:)

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Thanks for the link!!! :)

7. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    They left off "348... towing a trailer."

1990 GTI was about 0-60 in 8 seconds.

8. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    "But just after taking delivery, he was beaten away from the lights by a Fiat Strada hatchback-the hot Abarth version admittedly, but an indignity nonetheless."

He probably could'nt change gear............

"A Golf GTI was as good in acceleration as a Ferrari 348."

What a load of twaddle!!!

I had a new Golf GTi from 1988 to 1992. 0-60 in 7.5 seconds is a lot different to 5.6. Plus, it ran out of steam at 100.

Did Goth hack into that page or something???

:D

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I cannot confirm nor deny that allegation.....................:rolleyes:........................;) :D!!

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I seriously doubt his statements about the 348. Maybe his was a POS; maybe he can't drive worth sheit...

Fact, my 1994 348 Spider was about as fast as my 1995 Dinan M3 - good for BMW, bad for Ferrari. However both cars were 0-60 in 5 secs, depending on how much u abused their clutches. I hardly think that there were any Fiats or VW's capable of that kind of performance. Not to mention that fact that the M3 required increasing amounts of attention as you left 100 mph behind, while the 348 just felt like it was stretching out its limbs. Try that in a Golf.

And now, my 348 SS is faster. So much you can do with these cars. Maybe Luca should have asked how to wring more out of them rather than replace them with the 355 hair gel special. :p Of course, the 355 is, IMO, the ultimate technological excercise of the 348 engine and driveline. It's sad that all the lessons they learned for the 355 engine, they did not apply to the 348 which would have been a much much better car with them. I am, of course, talking about the increased fuel/air performance of the 355. Had Ferrari done more intake/exhaust development on the 348 engine, the 5-valve heads and 8 tbs would not have been necessary for the 355. It's an interest footnote in Ferrari history and maybe I'm using 20/20 hindsight, but heck,. even BMW was using separate throttle bodies in their high performance M models as early as 1985, so what was Ferrari thinking with the 348? Lamborghini was using 2 massive tbs to feed their V-12's.

Lastly, I do credit di Montezemolo with turning around Ferrari due to his clear vision of what the client base wanted and being able to deliver it. It was perfect timing for his input as well. Kind of like that Man Moment Machine confluence of variables.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL!!!

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Montezemolo owned a 348. Montezemolo used the 348 to bring back the Ferrari Challenge series and gentlemen's races in general. He also brought "winning" back to the Ferrari race team.

That's the turn around.

As for improving the 348, Montezemolo did that, too. The exhaust was improved under his tenure for the SS and Spider 348's, while the 8 itb's were added via Michelotto to the 348 CLM's (2nd fastest at Le Mans 1994).

...but he also pushed Ferrari away from the base, pure sports car. The 348 is the last of that for Ferrari. The 355 was loaded down with driver-adjustable shocks, power steering, power convertible top, power seats, alarm, airbags, semi-automatic F1 transmission, etc.

Which is to say, Montezemolo recognized what the Money wants to drive. Give credit where it is due. Production volumes, prices, and profit are all up for Ferrari. Ferrari wins races, too.

Montezemolo wants F1 race technology going into Ferraris. Expect to see quad cams and timing belts/chains gone...replaced by computer-controlled electro-actuators opening exhaust and intake valves. Coil on plugs are already here.

So Ferrari keeps advancing the technology (starting with the F1 tranny back on the 355) via what works for the race team, all while continuing the gentlemen's Challenge race series as well as winning on the F1 circuit.

Gradually add in better bearings and electrics/electronics/quality control and you've got yourself a well-run company headed in the right direction (for most).

I was surprised to see him rule out Diesel, though. Diesel and electrics are going to factor in heavily to the exotic car market over the next decade to come.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    :) you mean my Mondial T is a larger 355 :) great! ... no wait. no F1, no air bags, 'power' top = large bicepts.

:(

as a side note: This was the reason NO DINO. Yet, endless speculation and photoshopped pics.....wouldn't mind one, but not Monty will have to go for that to happen.

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

At least one variant of the Mondial T had a clutchless transmission...

15. Armenhaz

Armenhaz Karting

Nov 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have a 1992 VW GTi 2.0L 16 valve with Recaro seats & BBS wheels. The TOP DOG in VW's lineup in 1992! But it still doesn't beat my 348ts in acceleration, handling etc. I guess you can write anything, as long as there are people out there that are gullible to believe anything:) But the 16 Valve Scirocco (1986.5 -1988) did beat the Porsche 944 (non-turbo) in acceleration (that was in their advertising). That did wake up Porsche!!! Oh by the way, there are Honda Civics out there (with many engine modifications, including nitrous) that will out accelerate a 348, 355, 360 and possibley the 430:).

16. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you for posting that link J.P.Sarti, a great read.

p.s if you want a clutch pedal and gated shifter, get one, if you want F1 paddles, get an F1. Both are fantastic, both have there followers and both have gearbox's and clutches. Each to their own. I love them both.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Aha. So Karl Rove is working for you now.

You really shouldn't have to modify your new Ferrari to get great performance out of it, other than gel-ing your hair down in the Spider to reduce drag.

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I cannot confirm nor deny your statement.....:eek:

Exactly!!! The only reason I use any hair products is strictly for..... aesthetic.......err........ effectual purposes....... on my 355 that is...;) :cool:......