BOXER Destruction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BOXER Destruction

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RP, Aug 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Given the limited numbers of boxers, and there current increase in prices lately...there will be, might be someone that would. Of course it would be a labour of love. But it can be done...if that Enzo that burnt to a crisp went back to Italy to get redone, so can this. The front looks intact. The miracle is there wasnt a death in that thing...he definitely has an angel looking out for him.
    Speedy recovery Mate !!

2. SLOT RACER

SLOT RACER Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich A.
    RON,

THANK GOD YOUR STILL WITH US. THE PICTURES ARE QUITE FRIGHTENING CONSIDERING WHAT COULD HAPPEN TO US
    IN THESE CARS. AS MICHAEL HAD MENTIONED IN THE 80'S PEOPLE WEREN'T THINKING OF CRASH SAFETY AS WE ARE
    TODAY. BASICALLY WE ARE JUST DRIVING IN A TIN BOX AND SEEING SOMETHING LIKE THIS YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS
    RESPECT THE CAR AND IT'S LIMITATIONS IN MANY WAYS.

RON, BEST WISHES FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PHOTO'S I REALLY FEEL FOR YOU WITH YOUR LOSS.

3. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Hi Ron:

I'm glad you are OK - this was too close. The fact that you only had one way to get out is even more frightening. Your story inspired me to buy a fire extinguisher system for my Dino as the gas tanks are in the same location. I should have it installed by month's end.

As for restoring this car, I hope you will find a desireable replacement. Time is clearly too precious to resurect the car - keep a wheel nut if you really need a momento but I'm guessing you have more than enough memories.

Regards...Keith

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #29 BigTex, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wonder Why the Front Bonnet was cut across 12 " in from Latches...Impatient Firemen..!!??

See Top Pic

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, they were putting out the dash...unfamiliar with the car...Probably never noticed the latches.

If you want to save it you have to be in shape to supervise them, and obviously Ron was not........

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The latch release is in the interior though????

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Well a brand new F430 has tanks in a similar location and would be in the same shape from a fire, just as a 308/328,360, 355 F40, or F50, compromise of a mid engine car with tanks in the rear for balance

Nothing to do with 70s tech when they designed the BB, just a bad hit in the right spot with a mid engine car, the same could happen if you spun the car hard into a pole, Ferrari puts the tanks in the rear for balance and weight distribution, they could have easily put the tank in the front hood area as on a 911 Porsche but that would effect weight distribution, the 911 needs weight up front to help with the rear engine weight bias

Concerning steel on BBs, the main cabin is galvanized steel, the framing of the front and rear decklids in steel square tubing, door frames steel. window frames as well

Its a good thing steel was used in the cabin area, mostly for strength and safety vs aluminum though lighter is very weak and brittle

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A Bad Spot is a bad spot to Hit....

I would think todays tanks conform to deformation...Are Boxer Tanks Aluminum or Fiberglass( water Balloons)...My last 911 had poly Vinyl tanks

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    aluminum and they should have put them in the front for a better weight distribution, too much in the rear as is.

11. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    They are a aluminum alloy as with new Ferraris and actually hold up well to impact concerning leaking as they may crush easily but don't break or crack as easily. Even if the tanks were indestructable a big hit will sever the fuel lines anyway and still cause a fire, especially if the car ign is on or running, fuel injection is very high pressure and a line break sprays fuel everywhere

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    It would really effect the handling negatively, look at all the F1 cars and the tanks are in the back or sides of the cockpit, the fuel tanks also are very low in the car vs the front hood area they would cause weight up high, with fuel about 7 lbs per gallon thats over 100lbs sloshing about in the front in a fast sweeper, another resaon Ferrari used 2 tanks to reduce the sloshing as each tank holds about 10 gals

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Ron,
    I'm so glad you are reading and posting. By the looks of things, it could have been very gloomy around here these days.

Take care,

Bill

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, I'm so sad for you! at least you are O.K. That poor car!!!!!!! Having a Boxer, Now that scares me!!!!!

15. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Ron,

Those photos hurt so badly. I couldn't even stand to see pics of an old E36 M3 I sold which was subsequently totalled - you are a strong man to even view your burnt BB. I can only echo the sentiments of those before - thank goodness you're pulling through. May you continue to do well.

Best Regards,
    David

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    A fire extinguisher may have put out an initial blaze if it was caught early and there was not a recuring ignition source for the fuel.
    Once it got going I dont think anything but a Fire Truck could put it out.

As far as rebuilding it. Yes it may be possible but the cost of parts (if available) and labor would far exceed the value especially with burn damage history.

I think the design protects more for front and rear collisions more than side as the majority of accidents would occur there.
    The frame is very robust.

17. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    When I see this, I don't feel at all bad about the car. Yes, it's sad that it's a loss but as others have said it could have easily been more than sheetmetal and old leather. The kinetic impact seems to have been pretty substantial, having deformed the structure all the way forward to the passenger compartment and the fuel tank. Some years ago there was alot of publicly expressed concern about rear-end impacts breaking the horizontal seat supports at the initial moment of inertia and allowing the spine to break as the seat collapsed backwards. Apparently, of the cars tested in the early 1990s, only Mercedes had designed around this kind of crash. I suspect there may have been enough momentum here to have broken the seat and that the bulkhead would have saved you from a more serious injury. Indeed, all of that mass of engine and transaxle had to help also. A Fiat Spyder might not have fared as well. Praise the Lord and Ferrari engineering that you're among us.

18. CanuckCarguy

CanuckCarguy Rookie

Jul 20, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Horrific to look at and imagine a driver inside. Your survival instincts served you well, best of luck and glad it wasn't more serious.

19. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    Everybody should get one (or more) of those inexpensive automatic engine bay fire extinguishers called the Firefoe. Fchatter "No Doubt" is always advocating them, and I really agree with him - perfect for a situation like this. A manual fire bottle would be tough to activate in a surprise situation like Ron's.

20. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Put down the crack pipe, it is very sad but this car is a total loss. What's left...the wheels and a chassis number? Sure it COULD be rebuilt...anything COULD be rebuilt, but you'd have to replace almost everything.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If the radio was still ok then it would be feasible but its not so.....

22. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Parts car at best now

Ron, I hope you don't blame the car for the fire and consider another replacement BB for this one, looking at the severity of the impact it held up very well so you were able to exit the car in a timely manner,

23. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Ron,
    Glad you are OK. :) The car is replaceable/rebuildable/restoreable; you are not!

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    How terrible. My condolences. Glad you're ok however.

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    ++1! You're a lucky guy, pull all the stops for a speedy recovery; then hop back on that horse(BB) again!