Carbed 308 sound vs. 12-cylinder Ferrari sound | FerrariChat

Carbed 308 sound vs. 12-cylinder Ferrari sound

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Aug 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I have always assumed that 12 cylinder Ferraris sound best.....thats all we read about. Carbed 308s get their sound props but not like their big brothers. Winston Goodfellow in the Forza buyer's guide said the following about a carbed GTB's sound "In truth, it delivers an aural sensation and excitement that rivals many of Ferrari's 12-cylinder engines, sounding particularly delicious after 5500 rpm." Does the sound of a 308 GTB rival some 12-cylinder Ferraris? Can someone with first hand experience chime in?

My carbed 1976 308 GTB with an Ansa exhaust sounds amazing....its hard to imagine a much nicer automotive sound. Please tell me, how much better does it get? For the record, 12-cylinder Ferraris are the greatest cars on the planet and I am in no way bashing them. I hope to have one some day......

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I thought I'd heard Heaven in 12-cylinders last weekend when I went to Laguna Seca to see the cars on-track that were already in town for the Rolex Historics. On track, I was able to see and hear a 250GTO, 250 SWB, 250TR, and some other late-50's pontoon-bodied Ferraris and Maseraties. Fast forward to this past Friday when I attended Concorso Italiano, and I heard one of these run. I then had the fortunate burden to be stuck in between a couple in traffic (one two in front of me, and one directly behind me).

I'm sorry to say this, gentlemen, but in my opinion there is no better exhaust sound in the world than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOuYQaN4ZQ

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Not even close although I like the sound of my 8. The 12 gives me a rush and the sensation remains long after Ive gotten out of the drivers seat. The sound of a 12 can be duplicated by anything other than a 12.

P.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The best sound I have heard from a Ferrari was from a 1978 Euro 308. I have no idea why it sounded so good but it did. I have a video from a track event back in 92 and it was there. To this day I can pop that tape in and anyone can close their eyes and tell when it drives by. About 5 years later I was at FAF in Atlanta and heard them moving cars around in the shop when I heard it again. I went back and asked about that car and sure enough it was the same one.

I still haven't heard another one like that since.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I like the 12s, but the meanest sounding thing locally is a 348 with a tubi and test pipes. It's simply amazing when he gets on it.

6. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    When I get my car back, ill find a way to get some audio on the net. (I've actually been trying without success...)

Ill put the sound of my litte GT4 out there....I think ya'll would be mighty impressed!!

Jim

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    There is really no comparison with a 12, my favorite was full throttle through underpasses in my BB just sensation overload as the sound waves echo in the walls back into the car you can feel the pulses of each cylinder firing, the larger displacement of 5 litres vs 3 helps also

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have always preferred the sound of small displacement multiple cylinder engines revving to kingdom come. A race-tuned early Jaguar v-12 sounds amazing, but my favorite is that of the '67 F1 seasons 3 liter Ferrari boxer 12s, and the Cooper-Maserati boxer 12. The Maser engine had a sound unlike anything I have heard. Amazing

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I think everyone is comparing apples and oranges. Rammer is listening to his car from the cockpit while hearing the 12s pass; everyone else is using race pipes or test pipes or... For me, the 308 sounds really nice but the 12 raises the hair on the back of my neck above 5K. Mind you, I have a 4 liter 12 with an old set of ansas on it.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. the type of exhaust makes a huge difference on the 12s. www.tomyang.net has a comparison of the Stebro, the Time Valve and the Ansa exhaust sounds (I don't remember where on the site the file is, but it's there.

PPS. Perfusion, the Lambo isn't bad, but I prefer the note of a V-12 Ferrari at similar rpms.

10. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I really wanted a comparison from individuals that have driven both....not the noise they make as they drive by.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As an owner of both, they are very different. The 12 has much more depth in its sound, plus louder.

The carbs sound much better at corners when the gas a moving around and you get the popping from the gas that hasnt burnt.

Apples and oranges.....its like sons and daughters.

The 12 sounds better at full pop. Carb sounds nicer up the rev line.

Different sounds all together....thats why everyone needs one of each ;)

12. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari473.htm

T308

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    312B!!!!
    If you pull up the widely available Shell commercial with the F1 cars, the sound of the 312 through Hong Kong (?) is one of (if not THE) the finest sounds ever made by an internal combustion engine of any type.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The key to the sound of the 12s or 8s is the combination of the individual cylinders taking in fuel and then going out the exhaust. Air filter boxes muffle this and its rarely heard. If you have a carb 308 take off the air filter top and filter element and go for a spirited drive with your driver's window down. The sound is fantastic and you won't believe your car sounds that good. I think no 308 will ever sound as good as a 12 because you have 4 more cylinders to listen to. The early carb 12s are a treat.

If you get Speed TV, check out the latest Victory by Design that pays homage to the early f1 cars. Listen to the D50 Lancia 8 cylinder and you will be amazed at the sound of that beast. Small bore 8s rock too!!!

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    i've owned a few road registered ferraris, and the best sounding one by far from the inside is the 355ch with the induction noise of the BB512 carby car a VERY close second.

16. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I stuck on a new LE MANS X-Ost on my 308 gts Carb ,and I swear it sounds like I'm in another Car.Its amazingly loud and beautiful in the same time.The day I placed this exhaust I said to myself "I'll never sell this 308".
    I was at a Ferrari day and in a tunnel my x-ost was louder than a F430 accelerating ! I covered their sound.
    The Le Mans x-ost sound is a little to much for an ordinary owner , but for the F1 sound Fan its madness!
    The first time I went through a Tunnel I really felt shakey, goose pimples allother my body.
    F430 owners complimented the sound!
    Actually after hearing this sound many have ordered the Racing option for their F430.

If any Ferrari owner wants one of these x-ost hand made in Maranello contact me www.lascuderiarossa.com
    I tryed them all!, so if your not satisfied with the x-ost I will give you a better sounding one guaranteed !!

Forza Ferrari,
    Orlando

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Buy one of each and stop the comparisons...