Congrats Rob Lay! | FerrariChat

Congrats Rob Lay!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ProCoach, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats to Rob for his 2nd place finish at the Heartland Park Topeka National last weekend. First National on the "new" and faster configuration.

This race was the "tune-up" for the SCCA National Championship Races, better known as the "RunOffs," that occur over the first week of October. Rob's times were competitive in T3, the class that he is racing in, and from the preliminary entry list, he's got one of the more crowded (read "well subscribed") race groups! Good luck, Rob!

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Cool Rob, On the podium...................Way to go.

3. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Very cool - congrats Rob!

4. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Our FerrariChat tax dollars at work......;)

Congrats Rob!

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Great job, Rob.

Question: Were there more than two entants in the race? :D

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Congrats Rob, I thought your season was done after Mia's birth but I was wrong. Any plans for the 2008 season?

7. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Good job Rob!

8. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    #8 xavior, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Bravo Rob!

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ha, barely, there were only 4 in T3 this year. :) I am proud to have finished overall ahead of all 6 T2 cars (335 Ci, Elise, M3, Mustang) and 6 of the 11 AS cars (Mustangs, Camaros). I qualified ahead of the Subi Legacy in T3, but I didn't expect to beat him unless he made mistakes, which he didn't. I had a great start and put several lengths on him, but he caught back up by 3rd lap with boost turned up and his easy passes on me in the straights won out over my hard passes in the corners. The Subi has a ton more power, but the RX8 brakes and handles much better. Once he passed me I stayed within 3-6 seconds last 14 laps, but I think he turned the boost down.

I have the RX8 much better prepared this year, but our class has evolved where the car to beat is the S2000, Cobalt SS, or Subi. I'm still going to have fun and do the best I can. I'll make sure no one beats me driving. :)

11. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    LOL

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That's the only thing that's important!

Good luck at HPT this year. We'll be following via live timing...

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry, forgot I'm supposed to stay here and slave over you free loaders (1,600 posts and not subscribed) without having fun myself. :rolleyes:

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    check your records... i've ponied up the subscription fee before, but hey, you have to be rude to your own subscribers...that isn't good business. you wouldn't have **** without us 'free loaders' who sell your sponsorships (we were all free loaders when you got your start dude...but i guess you can afford to be arrogant now) i'm gone. cya

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just the type of person that doesn't get it and personality is better suited for Talking about Exotic cars while on a Power trip. Glad there are other homes for this kind as they're not wanted on FerrariChat. The only problem is their own kind is just as annoying to them and they return to FerrariChat for some fresh air and slip back into the same troll behavior. Please resist the urge to return as you bring down FerrariChat.com for the good users. Trolls-be-gone. :)

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Google "Fun Guy" and it links you to here.

17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I've been lucky enough to attend the runoffs for several years, the last one at Road Atlanta when Bob Boig almost enticed me into buying his class winning X1/9, and I believe I missed only two years while they were held in Mid-Ohio. Topeka is just a little too far away for me and from the pics I've seen, nowhere near as scenic as the other two venues. However, I just wanted to congratulate Rob for his accomplishment and wish him the best of luck in this year's classic. I rate the runoffs as an absolute 'must see' for anyone who truly enjoys racing. There are so many interesting classes and the racing is non-stop for three days. Unlike most events, where black shirted security folk screen out the great unwashed with layers of fences and barricades, the runoffs competitors actually welcome spectators into their compounds. If racing isn't close in a particular class, more than likely car variation on the grid usually makes up for it.
    Rob, I'm expecting to see a major article about your stunning upset T3 runoff win in Grassroots this year....

18. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    HA!

Anyways.

Congrats Rob.

Wish you many more great races.

Have fun with it!

19. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm close, so I never missed a day of the Runoffs at Mid-Ohio. Went every day, every year. Agree with you, "if you truly enjoy racing". I wish they were still here and I think the drivers do too, or do they. Oh well, NASA is here in Sept. and has been a great event.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It's just the best race weekend anywhere, bar none. The long drive from the Maritimes was worth the trip to Lexington just to see friends from Wisconsin and Fla, however the event itself and the surroundings at Mid Ohio were without question, made for each other. Cornfields, leaves changing colour, the Amish wagons... Long live STEAM CORNERS !!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Without a doubt, how can you compete with Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio, two of the best tracks in the world. However, in a little wheat field south of Topeka, Kansas next to an old Air Force Base is sprouting quite the track and facilities. The new owner has money and isn't afraid to spend it. All new buildings, complete track repave, and new paddock were installed last year. After feedback from the first Runoffs that the track had too many slow corners they opened up two of them this year with a redesign. Although the RX8 likes the technical corners, I have to admit the two corner changes are an improvement over last year. Lap times for most classes has dropped 6-8 seconds while the average mph has increased 5-8. Almost every person familiar with Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio complained about the move to Heartland Park, but most that gave it a chance have said it surpassed their expectations. New facilities are as good as any and the new owner is willing to make track changes to get the track to par.

A few FerrariChat.com users stopped by last year, I'll be there for 9 days, so I welcome you to come as well. This year I'm trying to pit under the Mazda tent, but that isn't confirmed yet.

22. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #22 yzee, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad you saw the beauty of our little piece of the Midwest. I'm 50 miles of twisty 2 lane south. A drive you would take if there were no racetrack at the end. Wheat At Steam Corners this summer. Crop rotation I guess.

Good luck to you Rob, and remember. You're one National Championship away from a seat in NASCAR.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I think Jeff and Tony have more talent, but I could at least get 3rd. ;)

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Mike , thanks for the photo and I BELIEVE YOU. Beautiful countryside your way.

Rob, just think like Dale, you gotta see the ahhr when you're drafting those Legacys. And btw, it's pronounced race core when you go Cup.