FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    the days of 250,000 GTO's are long gone. I will take a few at that price. None are available for almost twice that much.

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Are you thinking of adding one to your excellent collection.

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I did say at least three times as much so technically I was not wrong ;)

I just checked my June Forza magazine and they have the current high price for GTO's at $525K and low at $450K. I should have checked before posting but I was at work at the time. My point was the car is special, unique and definitely a supercar.

4. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Very true :)

I think on this car Forza may be lagging the market. Prices have moved up a lot

+1

5. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    Does anyone here know where #54243 is located now?

It was equipped w/ harness belts, Red inserts, A/C, PW.

I used to own 3 of them and this is the only one that I don't know the current owner/location.

6. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Z06 is faster as it is faster than a 250 GTO: i think this is not the point ;)
    i'd take a 288 over a Z06 any day

7. Whiterock1

Whiterock1 Rookie

May 14, 2007
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So would I, and I'd take a 250 GTO to say...$10,000,000 worth of other cars. However the comment about Corvettes being "lame cars" is inane. The Corvette matches against cars that cost 4 times--or more, what it costs. '67 427s, to say nothing of L-88s, go for more than 275 GTB4s, or 365s--as well as 288 GTOs. In the day, Corvettes routinely outperformed Ferraris. The Z06 still does. I enjoy and appreciate all great cars. I raced Muscle Cars in SCCA B and C production in the late '60s and twice was Midwest Regional Champion. I've driven at over 160 and flown at over 1500 mph GS, and have always loved speed. Ferraris are my favorite cars, although out of my price level unless I chose to get a 328, 355 or the like. For the money, I'm happy with C6 Corvettes. My understanding is the forum is for people, with or without Ferraris, who appreciate them. I do. No need to knock other fine cars, whether Corvettes or 911s. At least in my vho.

8. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    well, a 288 GTO, an Enzo and an F 50 should be on any collector's radar; however, I may have to wait a bit...not enough room in the garage, and the price is a bit high ... an Enzo at 850,000 would be most welcome, then I will think about the other two :) One can dream...and then again, maybe one day I may trade a daytona towards one of those :) more dreams....

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You have a stunning collection.

10. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    many thanks for the compliment. I love my cars, got so attached to them in the eightees I wouldnt sell any of them when they were worth almost twice what they are worth today. I am currently working hard on my F40, making it as wonderful a car as it is supposed to be.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #111 joe sackey, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am getting numbers all over the map from a car in England available for about $480k US (sold now I beleive) to a collector on the East Coast of the USA who Im told will sell his, but for $1m.

Im wondering where numbers should really be and it complicated by the fact that so few of these cars change hands regularly enough to establish values.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Last i have seen were in between $500k and 450k Euros..

Seems every seller of the supercars are trying to push the market up , surfing on the Pebble Beach wave..but with the stock market crisis , it might be short lived.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #113 joe sackey, Aug 24, 2007
    Isnt it just demand and supply? The owner of this car has turned down $650k so does this mean this particular car is worth more to HIM or that the cars are worth that in general? The 288 is rare, but at 272 production cars thats still more than the more spectacular 213 USA F40s out there. One has to be careful when a market is not well defined...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

Modulo_B and jamesdouglas1436 like this.
  14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    A private seller, with no need to actually sell, may ask anything, no matter how ridiculous it may seem. Their perogative, of course. They may re-set the market. Maybe not. All they need is one buyer who MUST have THIS car.

OTOH, a dealer, who is in the business of buying and re-selling cars, must be realistic and price at the existing market. There seem to be a few brokers who ask for high-end prices, but must, at the end of the day, come back to market prices in order to move the inventory.

CW

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Asking for $1m for a GTO today means that either he doesnt really want to sell but shall the right buyer come along he would let go or he has no idea of the market ..or he is trying to push the market up. If you see one GTO at $1M , then the one at $650k suddenly isnt that over priced anymore.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    However, I still say stick to the real market comps and don't overpay. If you don't get this car, another will come along (even with the few 288s available...IIRC, US has approximately 70-80). Maybe not quite as nice. Possibly not even the same model. But, there's always something coming along.

Years ago I spoke to a fellow who was selling a 288 up in the New England area. He was asking $1MM at that time. Non-negotiable. VERY low miles on it. He was advertising it as the world's "best" 288. Can't remember what, specifically, lended credence to his claim other than the low miles. I obviously took a pass as the guy just wanted his number. Fair enough. I didn't have to have it, and he didn't need the $ anyway. But, I came away shaking my head just thinking that the guy was out in left field and would remain there until the cows came home. Maybe we're even speaking of the very same car!

CW

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Those pics are unbelievable. I love cars being unloaded..

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed 100%. Brokers have an obligation to think clearly and be realistic.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yet still $1m is unrealistic and even $650k seems out of line...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i think the last 2 that sold in italy were in the 400k euro range

who knows? really so few of these sell these days

p.s. i'd take an F40 over a GTO and save some money ;) but the GTO is a much more rare machine

21. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    this spiralling rise in rare car prices, such as the GTO reminds me of the market during the late eightees. I know many people have a lot of cash, as the stock market until just recently had netted those astute investors lots of money. Same as in the late eightees. Then the markets fell and the prices of rare cars dropped as well.

I remember in 1989 an F40 commanding 1 million and more. I also remember when they sold for less than 200,000 a couple of years later.

Is this history all over again? Sell and head for the hills? Stay tuned.

22. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Maybe a price between 500k or 580k is normal but 1 million..he definitely dont want to sell it.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #125 joe sackey, Aug 24, 2007
    Good point about the F40 being a better car (of the same twin-turboed disposition). I just heard back from a well-known longtime Ferrari broker and he thinks the benchmark value is the RM Maranello sale where the low-mileage production car went for circa $500k US. Now that seems more sensible to me... but what do I know?
    The yellow car (below) that got $600k plus was in fact a prototype and not a production car, and yet still some think that particular auction suffered from Maranello 60th euphoria...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com