Assembly of Pocher 1/8 Ferrari Testarossa | FerrariChat

Assembly of Pocher 1/8 Ferrari Testarossa

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Scaledetails, Aug 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #1 Scaledetails, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    how much does a 1/8 ferrari cost ? for example this testarossa you have...

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    The kit is only about $450 to $500 depending on if it was opened or not, this built one will cost my client $1900 when finished. There is a lot involved detailing it, as stock is truly not that great.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    So far so good....keep taking pics.

5. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Will it be better/more detailed than the 1:12 250 GTO? Hard to imagine if the answer is yes...

6. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Because it is 1/8 scale, the answer is yes, but barely. Keep in mind, this kit has only about 400 pieces and very easy to build with a diecast body, but I am adding over 3000 pieces to it in the process, so it will be a lot more detailed than most 1/12 scale Ferraris.

7. 360 Spyder

360 Spyder Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Near the Cows....
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The ones I have seen that the assembler took the time to intricately detail were simply amazing!!
    And from what I have seen of Stephane's work (not first hand yet, only online) I would not expect anything less!

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thanks for the kind words Rob.

Stephane

9. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #9 moriaan1, Aug 25, 2007
    Stephane,
    great that you show us some of your work.
    Had seen it on your site, but love to see it more in detail.

If you need help with parts, when assembling a pocher, contact Stephane, he has a range of special parts that will add detail and quality!

You must keep in mind that the pocher Ferrari's were made from 1986 to 1995.
    The last modell in preparation was an F50. The prototype got stolen from a toyfair in Europe, (wonder where that one is?) but after that, production stopped.

Detail of the original kit was very good for the 1980's but don't compare them to the modern kyosho's or Tamiya's.
    In the beginning, especially on the early TR's paint was very bad quality.

Building the pocher kits is not difficult. You don't need to be an experienced builder to finish one.
    Several transkits were made. Autograph and Tremonia transkits are great, and scaledetails supplies very good parts to add more detail.

Experienced builders (like Stephane)can turn it into a piece of art with leather interior and whitemetal engine.

I enclosed a picture of a stock pocher TR
    I have had the complete set (f40, TR, TR spider) for years, but sold them recently, because they take to much space, and I changed to collecting 1:14 ferrari's like Brianza's.

In europe the pochers are sold in large numbers, they appear very regularly on local auctionsites, and prices are very reasonable.
    If you decide to get one, be aware........shipment by mail is expensive!
    Now and then I buy one as a project, repair and clean it, add missing parts and pass them on to other collectors.
    (am waiting for an F40 to arrive)

These are BIG models, and nice showpieces.

Keep us posted Stephane, Its allways nice to see what keeps others builders busy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #10 Scaledetails, Aug 25, 2007
    Thank you Hans, nice to see you are doing great.
    Here is some progress from yesterday. Interior tub is carpeted and leathered (crema), and the engine is all painted and drilled out ready for the transkit.

11. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I don't have anything to sell here, so...

The Pocher Testarossa is a 1/8 scale toy. No more detailed than a $15 Bburago diecast. If you like your models to be accurate and detailed, you can't do it "out of the box". You can get lots of upgrades, and Stephane is a great source. Just know that you'll need to spend a few bucks. I have a Pocher TR spyder. I'd consider giving it away. I'd feel like a criminal selling it for what I paid.

Their 1930s classics aren't much better. Who the h needs moving cranks/pistons/cams/ and working brakes? Too many unnecessary parts. The wire wheels look like **** too...which is why I bought machine tools. I'm working on wire wheels for a 1/24 Duesenberg right now.

12. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Thanks for your input Lee, but I feel I have to add something to this. Although they are not to everyone's taste, Pocher models have a huge following all around the world. As you can imagine, I have sold to thousands of collectors worldwide, and I have seen guys spend the price of a Ferrari engine out service on just one or 2 models, including myself. I remember buying a fully built 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom from my friends at Modelmotorcars as an investment for $6K, sold it a year later for the same price. Some Pocher classics have sold for near $15K at collector auctions like RM and Sothebys. So you see they may be unattractive to you, but believe me, there are serious collectors out there that enjoy them just as much as the real cars they own. I do agree that most need a lot of work to get to look correct, but isn't that the fun part?
    I am also not trying to sell anything, I was posting progress on a Testarossa in case someone else decides to venture into a kit and needs some help. FWIW, I have no time to build anymore as I am booked into 2010.

13. takatoys

takatoys Rookie

Oct 2, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Full Name:
    Erick Mabrich
    Great pictures Stephane.
    I was about to ask you about how to do the seats and dashboard, and your pictures are a great help.
    I agree that the Pocher Testarossa needs a lot of work to look right, but that is what hobby builders like, the challenge to make model kits as detail as possible.
    I am deeply involved in my Pocher Testarossa and I want it to look as good as yours. I just finished fixing the chassis and the engine.
    Please take more pictures of your progress of the interior because that is where I am now.

14. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee

Stephane-
    I hope you didn't take my post as an insult. Just pointing out that some might be disappointed when they open the box on a Pocher. I have the TR, a Mercedes Roadster, and a Rolls-Royce. I accept that I will have to make my own upgrade parts. What I can't machine, I'll buy from you or Brady.

In the same way that many enjoy collecting, I enjoy building and upgrading.

15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Not a problem Lee, I understand, thank you.

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
  17. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Looks amazing! I'm sorry, but I'd gladly pay top dollar for this kind of work. From what I'm seeing (holders behind the seat, speaker details), that's far more than what I normally see.

Top work Stephane. :)

18. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I agree. I have been hanging on the outer fringe of buying one of these (my local shop has three unbuilt), but he pretty much talked me out of it on the quality of the kit and its lack of detail.

With what Stephane is doing for this kit, this is indeed a worthy model.

I just have a couple of questions - how hard would it be to backdate it into a single mirror 86 car (looks like it has single bolt wheels already), and is there anything that can be done with that door fit at the leading edges (from the other photo)?

James

19. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Very nice work, Stephane. Looking at the pics, I can imagine how a full scale TR was similarly hand built.

20. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I have one of these in not too good condition as an idiot who was going to buy it off me dropped it and most parts fell off. If anyone is interested in it then please Pm me. Pete Uk

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #21 Scaledetails, Sep 7, 2007
    Hi James,

Other than making your own hinges, there is no other way to help that gap problem with the doors. If you are repainting your body, adding the single flying mirror is easy, but you will need to shorten the stock one before installation.
    Crema and black leather interior is now done.

Stephane

22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #22 Scaledetails, Sep 7, 2007
  23. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    That is super detailed!

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very impressive!!
    If only there were a 1/8 Pocher V-12 or Mondial with transkits!

25. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks for the further interior shots...it does seem like a shame to have to repaint a model that already comes painted.

That is just about the best model interior I have seen in many a day.