Challenge grilles and seats | FerrariChat

Challenge grilles and seats

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4RE Bob, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I am new to this site, therefore I apologize if this topic has been covered before. I have a Modena on order. It is due to be built in March and delivered in late April. I ordered a rear challenge grille, partially for appearance but mostly to reduce temperature in the engine bay. I have heard of challenge grilles warping on 355s, and I have noticed virtually all 360 challenge grilles have small dents or at least irregularity in the vicinity of the corners of the engine cover.

In reading threads on this site, it seems that most prefer 360s in their natural state, without the challenge grille. Is this just a matter of aesthetics and personal preferences, or is there a good reason to avoid the rear challenge grille?

Secondly, I ordered the racing seats, not because my car will spend its life on the track, but because I found the conventional seats quite uncomfortable in the mid to upper back area. I consider myself to be a normal or slightly larger than normal size six-foot guy. Does anyone else feel the same way about the regular seats?

2. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Hi Bob,
    Glad to see a new 360 coming to ontario, good choice on the racing seats too, i sat in one recently and they were really nice, firm and comfortable.
    Also, what colour int/ext are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

MD

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I really like the Challenge grill. I haven't heard of any warping or irregularity but that may just be me. When I pull up to a stop light and look in the rearview mirror, I can see the heat signature coming off the engine on my 355. I am really glad that I have the Challenge grill. Being that the 360 has a hotter engine bay due to the glass, I would certainly get the Challenge grill. But I also think that it looks better. This is all IMHO.

4. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Grigio Titanio with Dark (Scurro) Blue interior

5. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats on your purchase,

I have a 360 with challenge grill which I purchased for both appearance and for heat exhaustion. I do notice a lot of heat escaping from that grill so if you like the looks it's probably well worth getting. And yes, I did notice a small undulation in the grille but you have to look hard to notice it.

Don't know about the seats, the regular ones are very comfortable for me.

Since you're also in Toronto I'll send you a private message with my phone number in case you want to talk.

Cheers

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I have the Challenge Grill on my 2001 360. Nearly 3 years and over 24,000 miles, driven in all weather conditions, and the grill look just fine. The only dents I've ever seen were on a 360 Challenge race car over the weekend.

Might it be denting only on Canadian cars?

7. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Might it be denting only on Canadian cars?[/QUOTE]

i don't see why that would be the case, maybe larger temp. fluctuations.

8. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I installed my challenge grille myself, and they bend into place so you have to be very careful while installing. Most of the ones that I have seen that have been bent or dented were on challenge cars, and this is due to leaning over the engine bay to work on the motor, and just general abuse. They will hold up fine just be careful while leaning over the engine bay.

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I am 6' 2" and over 220lb in weight. I had the same problem with the normal seats and got Verdi's to insert Sparco race seats. These and the OEM Ferrari racing seats are much more comfortable - especially for longer drives.

Izza