1995 456 Radio | FerrariChat

1995 456 Radio

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by alberto, Jul 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The original Sony XTC-F10 radio/disk controller on my car is in poor shape, both operationally and cosmetically. I took out the unit and it is about 1 5/8 inch deep so as not to hit the center tunnel and transmission. Does not look easy to me to find a drop in replacement.

Has anyone found a suitable, drop in replacement? If not, what have others done to replace the stereo head unit? Does anyone know if Sony reconditions these units and at what price?

Thanks.
    Alberto

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Alberto, the original radio of the 456 GT should have been a Becker, coupled to a Sony 10 disc changer.
    You may replace it with another Becker (Ricambi America may be able to help you) or you may look into the Crutchfield online catalog.

3. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
    I think earlier years up to like 98 or 99 was with sony one.

same for 550 I think.

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Thank you both. I am pretty sure that the radio is a sony because the controls look like the sony radios of the era and sony made a model version designated XTC-F10 which is what is on the face plate of the radio. I could be wrong since I cannot find an actual picture from Sony showing the radio, but I believe it is a sony. I suppose it does not matter much anyway, unless I try to get it fixed. I'd rather replace it with a new unit with bluetooth.

I looked at Crutchfield online but they don't seem to have anything that will fit. I called Ricambi and the quote for a replacement was something like $1800, so that's not going to happen. Any other suggestions?

5. t024484

t024484 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans A. Polak
    I replaced my 456 radio with a Becker Cascade in Ferrari design.
    I now have navi, telephone, radio,CD and MP3.
    Fantastic piece of equipment.

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto

What year is your 456? Do all of the 456 have the same clearance?

7. t024484

t024484 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans A. Polak
    Mine is from 1999. But the radio slot in both 456 models is conforming to DIN, so clearance should be the same.

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I called Crutchfield (a US supplier of car stereos). Not luck with them, they do not have anything that fits. Although the opening is conforming to DIN in height and width, definitely the depth does not on the 95 456, as I mentioned it is under 2 inches in depth so not does not match "normal" DIN depth.

9. k-diddy

k-diddy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2004
    1995 456 had a much different radio system. There was a control unit that was din in size but about 1/2 deep. It had another master box in the trunk on the drivers side along with a 10 disc cd changer. Upgrade is not as easy as 123 like it is in the 550-575 or 1999 and up 456. You can do it just dont go to the local guy to figure it out.
    Kevin "DONE" Wright

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Kevin:

What is the solution?

11. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    #11 Mr Mezzanotte, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    456M's had a normal depth head unit in front of the gear stick,
    Pre-M's (456s) had a Sony head unit - see attached pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mr Mezzanotte

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    #12 Mr Mezzanotte, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here's a picture of the actual head unit showing how thin it is.

If anyone knows of an upgrade/replacement I for one would like to know...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Mr Mezz can you show that interior pic but about 3 inches more below the radio.

Is there 1DIN or 2DIN?

What you could do is trunk mount a unit and get a 1 or 2 DIN touchscreen controller.

-dsd

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Another option is to find a stereo repair place. There are a lot of good ones out there.

-dsd

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yep, that's essentially what mine looks like, except for the US market.

This is what I have been looking for on the internet, but have had little luck. Any specific suggestions as to brand, model, etc?

This is my fall back position. Any specific shop suggestions to get it repaired? I found a few online, but don't know which ones are good/bad.

Any help is greatly appreciated, clearly I am not the only one in this predicament.

I intend to swing by an audio shop soon and see what they suggest, but I'd rather do my own work or at least do my own research on options so I know what is available/desirable.

Thanks.
    Alberto

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I found a local (San Diego) technician that can rebuild the radio head unit. He quoted me $170 or so. Not sure how it will turn out. I can report back if anyone is interested.

17. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Update: This fellow http://www.radiomanrepair.com/ repaired the radio on the 456 for just under $170. The unit now functions properly. For anyone considering reparing their radio unit, be aware that he indicated that Sony no longer makes replacement parts for these radios.

I am now considering upgrading the speakers on the car. Anyone know what size the door speakers are by chance?

Alberto

18. t024484

t024484 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans A. Polak
    Alberto,
    Good to hear that your radio is working again.
    Do you also want to install a proper amplifier, or just new speakers?
    Hans

19. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hans:

I am likely to install only new speakers. Mostly because of the proprietary Sony cabling in the car, it looks to me like I would have to replace most if not all of the system just to upgrade the amplifier. I don't want to spend that much on the stereo. I suspect that the quality of the equipment is pretty good, it's just that the speakers are holding it all back. We'll see when I change the speakers.

Alberto

20. markbnj

markbnj Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    This outfit did an excellent job on my Mercedes radio. Good, cheap, fast. They seem to know foreign makes very well. Good luck.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/

21. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    The 1995 456 I've just bought has the same Sony and whilst it works, the display is completely blank!

The instructions mention taking the face plate off and cleaning the connectors, but I can't find a release button anywhere.
    Does anyone here know?

22. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You need to go to Kragen or some other local autoparts place. Pick up a set of Ford stereo removal tools. They will cost about $4. They are a pair of U shaped wires with an arrow looking end on each. Push these into the two holes on the left and right side of the stereo and pull up. The unit should come out. Then simply unplug the single wire on the back. It is very simple once you have the correct tool (like many things in life).

Alberto

23. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    Ah, ok thanks! I thought the unit had a removable face plate as that is what the instruction manual implies, but I think you're right.

24. AJTozzi

AJTozzi Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2006
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony Tozzi
    Any GOOD car audio shop can remote mount a faceplate in the area and put the chasiss (CD transport part) of the radio in a remote location. I did one about 3 years ago -- a Pioneer I believe. Me put the chassis under the passenger seat in a fabricated ABS "box" and the client used a 6 disc changer that was mounted where the factory changer is located.

I can't remember the speaker sizes -- though 5.25" rings a bell. I reccomend find a good shop in your area (where are you located?) to work with. The speakers requires a lot of disassembly if I remember correctly.

Anthony

25. Mr Mezzanotte

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    #25 Mr Mezzanotte, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/010/Large/010_132.gif

001 COMPACT DISC PLAYER
    002 TUNER AMPLIFIER
    002 TUNER AMPLIFIER
    003 AMPLIFIER