Passing CA emmisions with 78 308 | FerrariChat

Passing CA emmisions with 78 308

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by jpl, Sep 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I am contemplating moving from Texas to the Sacramento area. I have an older 78 308 (carb) Ferrari that I brought down from Canada with me when relocating from Canada to Texas. I have since licensed the car in Texas and am now looking to a possible move to the Sacramento area. The car runs fine, my real question is....do I sell the car here in Texas and buy something when I get to CA that will easily pass the tough CA emmisions tests, or will I be able to pass with my existing car. Just how tough are the CA emmisions tests?

Thanks in advance.
    JP

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    very tough, and if your car doesn't have a CARB or california emissions sticker it'll be even harder.

3. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I would have loved to have bought an early carbed 308, especially fiberglass. However, I swore that I would never smog a carbed car again due to pass hassles with british cars, so opted for a 308 QV. It's likely your 308 is missing the smog equipment and will fail the visual inspection, let alone the tail pipe test.

I would sell the '78 and get an '84 or '85 QV. Or stick to 1975 and earlier cars.

-steve

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Thanks for the answers, I actually still have the air pump etc, just no belt, so it would be easy to add the belt. Problem is that this was my first and I really don't want to sell it. If I do, It would be to upgrade to a 355. Is there a spec I could test for, to see if I pass before actually getting there?

5. jraken

jraken Karting

Dec 10, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jan
    I did not have a problem smogging my '77 308 with its stock thermoreactor... I just drove up to one of those test stations without any preparing... it passed right away... no problems! That was about 2 years ago. The car was brought into California from Oregon at that point.

6. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Thanks for the positive comments. At least now I know it's not impossible or un-heard of.

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It's possible. My '79 GT4 passed when the previous owner was selling to me. It took some tuning, but it can be done.

8. gearheadken

gearheadken Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Just passed S.F. Bay Area smog with my '78 308. Had to re-core cats first though.

9. ShopBoy87

ShopBoy87 Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    Sacramento,Ca
    Full Name:
    Matthew H-McCormick
    JP-

As others have already stated, it may take a little effort but I can guarantee the car will pass. If you bring it with you in your relocation and can't get it to pass yourself then PM me and I'll provide you with contact information for the shop I work at(which is in Sacramento) that will get the car passed legally. We've had plenty of experience in getting late '70's - 80's Ferrari's and Maseratis through smog. Best of luck....

10. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    Is your 308 a euro version ?

The car may have to go to the state referee station.

11. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Thanks for additional info. No the car is a US car that was originally from Arizona, then moved to Key Largo, then Ottawa Canada and now back down to Houston. The last two cities with me. We plan on moving in the Feb/March time, as long as the home prices keep dropping. I will PM later as I get closer to actually moving. Thanks again for the assistance.

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Wow JP!!! Whatcha doin' in Texas???

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    jpl, I think you can relax. The previous comments pretty much cover it, but let me add this one last bump.

I moved from Toronto to Monterey six years ago. Right before I left TO, I had both my cars (not Ferrari's at that point, just regular drivers) checked on the Ontario Drive Clean program. Once I got here, both had to be taken to a referee station for smog check, not to mention CHP inspection because they came from out of country. Drug sniffing dogs and all that. Bottom line, both passed with flying colours. When I got home, I looked at the details on the emissions test results.

California has this great reputation as being soooo tough to pass emissions tests. Not so. Ontario's standards were tighter. If your 308 passed OK in Ottawa, I don't think you have much to worry about in Sacramento.

By the way... Welcome to California in advance!!!!

14. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Bernardo,

I have been in Texas since June of 06, and now planning to head to California in March of 08. Just testin the waters.

15. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Rosso 328,

Thanks for the kind words. I never had a problem passing the Ontario tests, so I guess I should be reasonably safe. After Rock fixed it up, it has driven so much better than in the past, so I am feeling better about keeping the car.

As it's a US car initially I am hoping I won't have to jump through too many hoops. Does this also mean that my BMW X3 and Z4 must also be sent to a referee station. Oh and I have a 37 ft Class A as well.

regards,
    JP

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Any carburated car is hard to get through smog in Ca. The good news is if it's running properly a lot of times all you need is a Catalytic Converter as someone else mentioned. PM me if I can help.