328 GTS 1986 where's the horn compressor | FerrariChat

328 GTS 1986 where's the horn compressor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jarends, Sep 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    I have manuals on everything, but I have to get to the compressor for the horns, and not one mentioned them.

before I dis-mantle the car, maybe someone could let me know what they went through and where it is.

Any Pics would be great

thanks
    J

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    it's about the size of a can of coke .....try under pass/side fender.... directly behind the headlight you can scope it through the front grill ............. if your compressor is rat sh#t the you can buy one that's identical from harbour frieght $20-30......... bit tricky to change you need rubber elbows.........
    good luck

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Right side, near headlight bucket.

4. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    thanks, I could have sworn that I look all over the headlight area, but I'll look again.

I thought that if I could get it out I could simply clean it up and oil it...

Anyway, thanks again,

let you know
    John

5. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    On a 328, remove the LF wheel. Remove the forward panels in the wheel well. It will be behind the upper panel.

6. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Thanks, I did see it last night and assumed to reach it, it would be through the wheel well.

Anyway, I'm going to go in this w/e.

thanks for all the help

J

7. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Just a followup:

Having not done to much repair work lately, I forgot the one one rule to fix a problem. Check and do the easiest things first.

I took the wheel well apart, took the compessor out and tested it, it work just fine, so I oiled it and put everything back together.

It must be the relay??, so I took that out and tested it, that worked fine.

Decided to take the steering wheel off to test the horn button, almost did that before I found the horn button, just pops off.

That is where the problem was.

If over the years someone presses hard on that horn, it can actually push in the center of a brass insert that is suppose to contact with a small contact in the middle of the column. Mine was indented and dirty, both had their hand in the horn not making a ground contact.

Took it apart and pushed the brass insert's center out, cleaned it and installed the button, works great.

BTW: the contact ring that serves as both a spring for the button and the ground contact to the column has to stick out enough to make contact with the column or you're out of luck.

So, now I'm an expert on 328 horn repairs..

J