Fuel tank balancing tube | FerrariChat

Fuel tank balancing tube

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get 1 3/8" fuel hose to joint the balancing tube to the tanks?
    Dennis McCann wants $ 44.00 @ and it seems a little too steep for 3" of hose and I would like to find a cheaper alternative.
    Some mechanic told me that a premium water hose (such as Gate Green Stripe) would make a good substitute. (???)
    Thanks,
    Gianluca
    '81 308 GTSi

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Lots of guys are using Green Stripe for the filler neck hose, but it's not soaking in gas 24/7. My car has some bizarre transparent green hose on it.

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If you don't need original, then Gates green stripe, or NAPA Gold stripe,
    which is made be Gates for NAPA, are both quality products.

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Dave: Is it known that Green Stripe is completely gas compatible? It's meant for coolant, but perhaps it is suitable for gas too.

FWIW, I tried searching the Gates website to see if I could find any useful specs. Unsuccessful.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well they make fuel lines, but good point,
    to make sure there is not an incompatibility problem with petroleum products.

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    You guys are quick!

Yes, I was wondering too about the coolant v. fuel compatibility.
    I am using Napa Gold and they are very beefy and nicely made and I would chance it (with frequent monitoring) to use for gas. Has anyone done this before?

4re gt4, do you think your hose is the same found on lawn equipment? That transparent tubing that gets very hard with age?

The hose on the left is what I took out. It seems to be in good shape but would like to replace it. It has a whit stripe on top.

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    As hose in this location is always soaking in gas, I'd be a bit careful. Perhaps use it for a bit, and pull it off and see if there is any softening?

An email to Gates tech support (assuming that you can find such an address) may resolve the issue.

Re: my clear green hose. I haven't seen lawn equipment with such a hose, so I don't know. It's been on there for years, and hasn't hardened. If I didn't know better, I'd say it's vinyl. But I doubt vinyl would hold up that long.

8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ sells a 1.25" Dia (the size for a 328) fuel hose that is US Coast Guard approved for fuel. It is heavy and has the cloth covering like the original and Greenstripe. This hose has a metal winding, but it is still pretty easy to get on. (Buna-N Coolant and Fuel Hose). The catalog specifies a minimum, but I called and ordered a one foot piece for about $8.00.

The correct size/stiffness are pretty critical for these hoses. Some of the other hoses that I tried were too stiff to get on or would not clamp down. I even tried to boil them in water first.

Mark

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I bought the correct pieces ($45/each I think). The previous owner had put on the wrong stuff and it showed. FYI, the F part has a shiny or glazed interior finished. I believe it is also metric.

Each to his or her own, but on fuel hose and related, I buy the OEM/Wurth stuff.
    Philip

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Fuel hose is nitrile lined and I wouldn't use anything not specifically made for fuel. Go cheap on something else!

11. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine

Mark,

Can you post the mcmaster PN number?

12. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I ended up buying the same hose from McMaster Carr
    # 5727K74
    The catalog says "please order in 5 ft. increments" but as suggested by Mark, I ordered 1 ft. Lets wait and see if they send it.

Please note that on my '81 GTSi the proper size is 1 3/8"

Thanks to all,

Gianluca

13. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I used gas filler neck hose from a local garage. It is gas rated and was less than $1 an inch. I took mine in and they matched the size.

14. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Do not even think about using anything that is not rated for fuel! Please guys, I dont want to see ANYONE die in a fire. "Put it on and wait" or "check it often" attitude will get someone killed. Shop for a good price but buy the right parts.

15. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    One suggestion would be to try and contact a local large diesel generator distributor such at CAT. You can probably find them in the yellow pages.

Large industrial equipment like this uses large diameter hose for fuel. Contact them, see if they might have carry spare parts and then go to their shop with a piece of hose off your car and see if they can match it. I'm willing to bet it will be a lot cheaper than $45.

16. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Do any of you think there may be a problem with using the gas rated filler neck hose that I used? I surely don't want to create a hazard.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Titan-Pme Equipment Sales
    Address: 232 Commercial St, San Jose, CA 95112
    Phone: (408) 998-8205

These guys cut me a 3 ft piece of a 1.25 or 1 3/8 inch (it fits) Good Year Petroleum hose, Red exterior, gasoline/oil rated interior. Nice thick petroleum grade products, and the red exterior matches my paint.

They have a $15 minimum, but last year they just gave it to me. I still have some left. Perfect solution for this application. Call them.