CS F1 computer | FerrariChat

CS F1 computer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by duskybird, Jun 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Will a Challenge Stradale TCU (F1 computer) work on a 2000 360?
    Thanks.

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'd be curious to know this as well, but my best guess would be no.

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Well I have an answer and an update to my question. I asked this question to see if there was any history on this. After looking at the TCU wiring diagrams and comparing them to a standard 360, in this case a 2000 Modena. I found no difference so I went ahead with my plan. I knew going into this that there would be a difference from a 99/2000 to a 2002 and higher model anyways. I purchased the TCU from a fellow fchatter and just got around to installing it. With the help of Alain and Sebastian from Ansa motorsports in Miami we switched them out and set it up with the SD2. Well to say it worked would would be an understatement. The car up and down shifts much quicker in sport mode and is much smoother is normal mode. I hope to compare it to a CS and a late model 360 in the coming weeks to make sure that it's not just a case of "upgrade euphoria".

DGPF likes this.
  4. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    Yes, it does work. We've run all kinds of different TCU's. The Stradale unit does give the best shifts. As good as a 430 maybe?

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    That would be huge. In my opinion, the single best upgrade of the CS over the standard 360 is the shift control.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This kind gets me thinking about something.... 430 TCU and CS TCU are darn similar items. Let me do some digging.

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    David and I had a long conversation about this last yesterday. I'm looking for a 430 wiring diagram to do some comparison.

8. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    It all looks the same. I don't have the 430 wiring diags with me. It'll have to wait until I get back to the office.

9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I have the wiring diagrams. Let me get them into an email format.

dp

10. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Sounds good.

11. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I would love to move up to the CS or 430 TCU if this really provides significant improvement without harming any of the other workings. I had talked to the dealer about this about 2 months ago and their suggestion was to just move up to the newer 360 TCU. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on that $1500 (rough guess) upgrade when I saw this thread. Let us know how your testing goes. Thanks.

Lou

12. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    As far as the CS TCU goes I've put about 200 miles on the car and don't see any anything but positive results. The car shifts like a CS. I hope to do something with the 430 TCU if the pin outs match.

13. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I can imagine the pinouts being the same, after all, it is expensive to retool for new hardware. I was more worried about the software. The 360, the CS, and the 430 all have differing options for sport mode, auto mode, launch control, etc and I don't know how to confirm that the software in the newer TCUs properly adapts to the car it is in. Your live trials with this are very encouraging. My car comes off the Power warranty in January, so that would be a great time for me to switch if this proves to be a good thing to do. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Lou

14. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I totally agree o the tooling issue there are allot of parts that are shared between platforms. Aside from launch control (I haven't looked at it) the other functions like shock valving is handled by it's own ecu, so there isn't anything more than a messenger (trigger) circuit to switch modes.

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    As an update to this thread, we have a CS TCU in stock should anyone be interested :)

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The CS TCU will work in a normal 360 F1, but it is really only for folks doing heavy track use. At low speed, the shifts are pretty harsh. Most folks would probably not want it for street driving. However, deep in the revs, it works like a charm and it's simply magical.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=263931

17. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The problem with trying to use a 430 TCU is it expects to see the E-diff module online and the hydrilick pump sofware will time out prematurely as the 430 hydrolich pump is significantly bigger on the 430 due to the E-diff running off the same pump. The 430 Challenge car does not use the e-diff but the conventional differential the same as the 360. I have looked over the electrical and it should work but it may be difficult to get a 430 challenge TCU.

let me know, Good luck

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Does anyone know the month or VIN when they changed the TCU in 2002? A Ferrari tech told me if buying a F1 360, the improvement was worth getting a 2002 model year.

19. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Assy number 44074

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thank you David! :)

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So can you do this only in between same cars/models or coulld you update it to 599 or even Scuderia gearbox specs ?

22. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Daniel,

Are you saying that the CS is harsh for street driving as well, or that the TCU behaves
    more harshly when in a normal 360 F1?

Lou

23. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

If you just slam it into the car, the ride is harsher than a normal CS. On the other hand, if you install it then recalibrate the clutch via SD3, it should be almost the same as a CS. My point in the above post was that you cannot DIY the install and just go drive away expecting smooth shifts in the drive thru at Starbucks. ;)

(If you're buying Lou, I'll take a double nonfat latte.)

Duskybird... Can you comment on this?

24. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    How much would it cost to have the computer re-calibrated on an SD3? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

25. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    #25 FERRARI-TECH, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We do it all the time when we change out control units.
    It only takes a few minutes once the control unit is in, use the computer to recallibrate the clutch/trans, it almost does it on its own.
    We just took this one (first pic) out and put the other one in. Note the software version/dates.
    Car is a 2000, we put in a 02 control unit and reset it all. Shifts great, and now kiss points can be adjusted.
    Important to note clutch wear before and after control unit switch is the same. Clutch measument (in mm) can be manually entered into the TSU. If this is not done it will shift like ****e.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login