Your Thoughts | FerrariChat

Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Texas Forever, Sep 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All --

I have been away for a while. But in coming back, my first impression is that there is w-a-y too much rationality going on about owning a Ferrari. Since when was owning a Ferrari, particularly an old banger, a rational thought?

At any rate, you might want to take a glance at my comments on Maranellos. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137035561#post137035561

Dale

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dale,

Welcome to the dark side :)

Regards,

Art S.

PS. bring yourself and your GTC over to Tom Yang's ;)

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tom has been my hero for some time. I mean Shaughnessy, of course. Just kidding. I like em both.

But the nice thing about my deal on the GTC is that my partner in crime like to tinker with the damn thing, and I don't. So I get to drive it and break things. He then fixes them. What a country! :)

Dale

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dr. Who, in case you haven't noticed there IS a new economic reality in this country and if you cannot fade it into Transportation Expense, it's getting hard to justify your madness.........

But if you are cruising in a 'appreciating investment with 100% equity'......well, you see my point?

Did you find some hi zoot water hose? See a yellow Ferrari with handprints anywhere?

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [Rant On --]

I have been away from F-Chat for a little bit. Gotta pay the rent and all that. But, coming back, one thing that is really starting to bug me is what I'm calling the "Keith Martin/Mike Sheehan" effect. That is, it is all about the money, and nothing but the money.

For example, you would have thought that you were on "Money Talks Chat" instead of F-Chat when reading the threads leading up to Monterey. The buzz was all about what the cars might sell for and how many Ferrari owners were in a bind due to escalator clauses in the subprime mortgages that they had on their G5s, yachts and vineyards.

Go back on take a look at the noise over Steve McQueen's Lusso. I don't recall a single comment about the car. It was all about the dough. Speaking from a sample size of one, I don't really care what these cars sell for. They say to never say never, but I'm thinking that it will be highly unlikely that I will EVER spent seven figures for a car, any car.

However, I am curious as to why McQueen brought a Lusso in the first place. After all, a Lusso was not the E-ticket back in the day. McQueen, however, knew cars and motorcycles. So why a Lusso instead of a 250 SWB or GTO?

One last example, there is a thread going in the 550 section comparing a 360 to a 550 because they both can be had for roughly the same money. The noise is over which car will hold its value.

WTF? How is it possible to compare these two cars? They are both great cars, but completely different. Having owned both, I just can't imagine trying to pick one over the other BASED ON MONEY! Geeze Louise, are we turning into a bunch of accountants? (Trust me on this, I know one when I see one. :) ) Is the future going to consist of cars sitting in air controlled glass cages while we sit around and smoke $1,000 stogies and sip brandy?

I hope not because I hate cigars and brandy.

Dale

[Rant off --]

6. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of the world when it comes to expensive items. As the cost rises, they become investments and pieces of conspicuous consumption, 'fashion statements'. Which isn't to say that some of the new owners won't appreciate the cars for what they are, but that, for many, they will simply be 'big pricetag' items.

FWIW about McQueen, as I heard it, the Lusso was a gift from his wife -- which may explain why it wasn't a 250SWB.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Welcome to the bubble economy :D

Regards,

Art S.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Isn't a lot of focus on cars as "investments" a sign of the top of the market? Sell, sell!

Seriously, Dale, I agree with you completely. But I'm looking at making probably the worst "investment" you can make in the Ferrari world, so what do I know?

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whatcha thinking about buying? If you have driven the car and like it, there is no such thing as a bad investment in a Ferrari. Just as there is no such thing as a good investment in a Ferrari that you don't care for.

Case in point is that I'll probably never buy a 308/328 because I personally prefer a 911 from the same vintage. I'm not saying that the Porsche is better than the Ferrari. I just prefer the way, say, a 1989 911 drives more than a 1989 328. But that's just me.

So if like you the way the car drives and looks, don't look back.

Dale

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree, but I'm speaking from a financial point of view. I'm considering a new 612.

Of course, I figure if I amortize it over 30 years (which is how long I plan to keep it), it's not too bad a deal...

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don, everybody who I have spoken to who has driven a 612, as opposed to being an instant expert on the Internet, loves it. Buy it, and drive it in good health. I'm envious.

Dale