THE 430 Scuderia | Page 37 | FerrariChat

THE 430 Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by Senna1994, Jul 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ringmeister

ringmeister Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2005
    NJ
    I think you are dead on. The same thing happened with the CS. Not until many of the cars were flipped did they get into the hands of the real enthusiasts. The Ferrari crowd is full of speculators.

2. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Gold rims are not for me.

3. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    "I hoped for a better handling successor (kinda/sorta like the 360 vs CS). Your post worries me because it seems that the 430 Scuderia is still poorly designed .... from a suspension setting POV."

The above quote implies you believe the CS was significantly better handling than the 360 (which it was), but that the Scuderia inherits some inherent suspension design flaw from the F430, which I can't see.

A lot of us F430 drivers have commented how it would be nice for the manettino to separate TC/SC/E-diff control from damper stiffness and Herr Schumacher obviously agreed because there is now a separate damper button on the centre console of a Scud. So if you really wanted to, you could swap a Scud's coilvers for ones made to your spec without upsetting the manettino.

But without driving it, why would you want to? They may have got it spot on... ;)

4. yellafella

yellafella Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yep, I love it and it will be driven as much as I drive my 355CH. When Someone was taken for a few quick laps at the end of the day it had the same compression bang between gear changes as the Fi cars from a couple of years ago. FANTASTIC sound.

5. yellafella

yellafella Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    With Gold wheels and matching Gold stripe!

6. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Ferrari says the following about the Manettino settings and the new button in the centre console:

"Manettino on steering wheel with 5 positions to manage: F1 gearbox, Control for Stability and Traction (CST), Electronic Differential (E-Diff) and F1-Trac, electronic dumping control (with damping decoupling button “SOFT” on the tunnel), Engine ECU."

7. miladferrari

miladferrari Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    prev.Van. nowToronto
    Its weed you want some lol
    but i am sure the f430 s will be faster,wanna bid?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWyeT49XDZA
    watch this,hear that? better than an enzo around fiorano.

8. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Thx!

But I don't believe a word of it. "360 degrees extreme" Oh please, are we selling reality videos now?

I'll say it again .... when an unimpeachable source proves that the Scud is faster than an Enzo in an *Honest Contest* .... then i'll eat my words.

FYI: I don't mean that the Scud won't be a wonderful performer.

Peace,

Richard.

9. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    +1

10. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I dont think Id buy a F430S with the gold rims, but I do think its still very sexy looking.

11. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Don't stamp collectors, etc, do the same?

I would imagine that they see an opportunity to own one of the finest cars of it's kind and maybe make a buck or two? Or perhaps it's simply a work of art?

Keep in mind that many who will travel far and wide to look at cars are rabid enthusiasts and their worldview may differ from ours. Doesn't make (IMHO) their POV any worse or better that yours and mine (assuming you're a "driver" first and foremost <chuckle> you sound like one).

I'm very proud of the fact that I drive the crud out of my F430. And the rock chips, high mileage and loss of resale don't bother me .... much. <wry g> But it's their money and their cars to do w/as they wish.

Imagine that you purchased a Van Gogh .... would you not keep it under lock and key to preserve and protect it .... and drool from a respectful distance from time to time, w/friends, etc?

Well, I receive lots of Kudos (nice!) from folks who see me drive my car .... even to the grocery store from time to time. My car is seen and appreciated more so than any other F430 in the PNW that I know of. And not just by enthusiasts (that's simply preaching to the choir) but by the "rank & file" also. E.g. My car is often parked in a private, reserved spot at a business class hotel I frequent in the PDX area which those who enter/leave cannot fail to see.

But these sort of things don't make me *special* ..... well perhaps special to Ferrari, et al, because i'm pretty sure that I am a great embassador for them. <chuckle> Another e.g; time and time again folks ask about the Ron Tonkin plate covers. And are always surprised when I tell them that RTGT is the nation's oldest Ferrari dealer. I'm pretty sure they'll remember Tonkin's when it comes time to purchase their next car.

Nuff said.

Peace,

Richard.

12. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Agreed!

Then there's tires. Track familiarity. Track conditions. Etc. Etc. <shrug>

Peace,

Richard.

13. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Understood. I still fail to see how thinking that the Scuderia's mission is similar to the CS's and that the Scuderia might not handle as well in comparison to the F430, as the diff between a 360 and a CS, implies that I feel the Scud is inferior to the CS.

Let me make it clear .... I think the Scud will be faster than the F430 and the F430 is faster than the CS. Ergo? ;-)

The above assumes the typical racetrack in the W. USof A (i'm unfamiliar w/eastern tracks) and an honest contest.

Hope that clears the air.

As for the presumed suspension flaws .... as I have written repeatedly .... it's a knee-jerk reaction subject to change. But primarily based on all of the hype. I am always suspicious when a product is hyped to an unreasonable extent. E.g "better timings than an enzo at fiorano"

Oh, I must add .... JIC .... that I strictly speak of a US market Scud.

Ooops, again I am misunderstood .... I don't mean to imply that one couldn't alter the suspension componets (either in a Scud F1 or an F430F1). From all the research i've done over the past year it would be so freaking impractical that one would be much better off buying a dedicated track car. As you and others have mentioned, more or less. ;-)

As for not upsetting the Mannetino in a Scud w/aftermarket coilovers .... we don't know how the various modules communicate w/ea other. E.g Apple, Inc, offered (and still does) an Ipod adapter for BMWs. BMW NA blessed the accessory w/o doubt. Soon, we learned that the iPod adapter interfered w/the M3's bus system causing all manner of ills. And that was a BMW NA approved mod. So, I no longer assume that one may make modd to what are essentially multiple computers tied together by a set of wheels, etc, w/impunity! Point made? :)

Nothuh E.G. Chris Gallagher of FNA tech support told me, by phone, that installing Pirelli slicks (as in the Challenge) would cause the E-Diff to fail. Who would have thunk it? I'll give myself a pat .... I did, I did, I thunk of it .... because i've put a lot of effort into modding! ;-)

Nope. Not given today's tech and my needs. There is no way possible that a car may be optimized for the varying track conditions I experience w/o fully adjustable suspension.

And I do NOT consider stiffening the dampening over a small range fully adjustable suspension.

I want to individually alter the camber, toe, ride height (altho seldom in that case). As well as rebound and compression and sway bar stiffness (also infrequently), etc, etc, etc.

Of course, the Scud may be acceptable for my needs as is. Since i've finally decided (just a few hrs ago) to NOT purchase one under any foreseeable circumstances until *after* I am sure that it will be the right car *for me* .... it'll be months before I make a final decision. Meanwhile, early adopters will receive my blessings and thx! ;-)

Peace,

Richard.

14. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Interesting. Thx! Keep the info coming.

But complex, i'd wager. And like w/Porsche's electronic suspension settings .... i'm not (YET!) impressed.

Am I the only one (not that i mind feeling like the lone ranger <chuckle>) who feels that a set of DA coilovers and sway bars, etc, .... simple, proven, easily maintained systems .... would be far, far better options for an "extreme track" car?

E.g. the Challenge suspension is easy to maintain and adjust for tracks all over NA! And I bet it's much, much cheaper as well. A win/win situation for all. Even for Ferrari because they could then *truly* claim that the Scud is an "extreme track car" for the street.

Peace,

Richard.

15. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Heck yeah! <LOL>

I normally gamble w/OP money. But in your case .... hmmm. ;-) So, how would we ensure a fair contest?

Thx, saw it already. And commented above. My op still holds. The Enzo is much lighter, more powerful, and better suspended. <shrug>

Can you think of an example where the laws of physics don't apply to a similar car comparo making the heavier, etc, car faster?!?!

BTW, in re faster cars and fair contests .... we have a saying @PIR: "The Novice w/the most HP loses .... everytime." Get the point? ;-)

Peace,

Richard.

16. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I was at the Fiorano launch too and it was a great event.

The car looks good, especially in "Rosso Mugello", the new "Scuderia" / F1 colour, and is immaculately finished.

But the real test will be when it's driven.

As Luca said to me over lunch and again in his speach, it is specifically a track car, incorporating some of the developments from the FXX programme.

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

I would love to here about the real life driving impressions in some of our favorite mags. Wonder how it will compare to the Lambo light?

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

The Enzo is ofcourse a great car, a legendary car, however is was developed prior to 2002. There is a vast difference in the technology and engineering available then and available today. The 430 Scuderia is a modern car with more advanced technology which translates to improved performance.

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    new colour's gr8 , i agree. Love the name dropping too :D

20. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    So anybody knows will NEW F1 paint, whatever it is Rosso Mugello or somehow else named, be produced on 430 Scuderia or it is just for launch???

21. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    does anyone know any information about the rims? launch photos were shown in gold but haven't seen photos on an actual car. i assume they are an option. test mules have shown black as well as regular alloy rims but all the launch cars were in gunmetal. do i assume the car comes with standard gunmetal a la Superleggara?

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    ferrari have announced paint name and it appears on launch car - i really would expect to see it as a colour option

i think car in frankfurt will have gold rims-and the mugello paint- and be an option too

23. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Well.. will let everyone know when I am there.
    I was told that if you don't have a special pass a visitor will not be allowed to visit the Ferrari stand. Anyone heard of this?

24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Owners Site suggests stand visits have to be pre-arranged with dealer or importer

25. PaulButler

PaulButler Karting

Jul 30, 2005
    Surrey UK
    A Ferrari engineer told me at the preview that the dark grey rims are standard, gold, white and black will be on the options list. I thaught that the grey rims looked good on the car but no other colours were displayed at the preview for comparison.

About the metallic red the engineer was a little vague but he said that the one display car was the only car painted in this colour and this colour was not available as standard. From his comments I can speculate that this colour could be available as an option.

I must say though, I far preferred the roso corsa on the Scuderia to this new red. Just my opinion but the metallic looks great in pics (designed for tele on F1 car???) but not in real life. It looks very 'washed out'. I am sure there are some that will love it though because it has more 'depth' than flat red.