360 instrument cluster backlights out | FerrariChat

360 instrument cluster backlights out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by traknut, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    The backlights in my 2001 360 instrument cluster are out. The needles light up, but the numbers and backlights do not. Any way to fix this, or do i need a new cluster? Thanks!

2. H4MXX

H4MXX Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Manchester
    Full Name:
    Hamid Taqui
    Are you sure theyve gone out, not just been dimmed? Try increasing the brightness using the two buttons on the dash by the steering.

3. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    The Dealer told me to replace the cluster, but I can't beleive that is the only way.

4. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Is there any chance that a fuse is out that controls the back lights?

5. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    I checked the fuses.....But thanks anyway..

6. H4MXX

H4MXX Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Manchester
    Full Name:
    Hamid Taqui
    if your a techie or knows someone who "corrects mileage" they'll be used to opening up the cluster and should be able to diagnose if its just the LEDS or something more complicated thats gone, and should be able to fix it if its something easy.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The insides of the 360 cluster are quite complex with regards to how it illuminates the dash. I have one apart now, and will have a solution in the coming weeks.

(EDIT: ok, I don't personally have it apart -- but my good friend who lives/breaths microelectronics has the thing in his billion dollar lab, and is working on it)

A new cluster is about $4000 -- and takes weeks to get from Ferrari + tons of paperwork for mileage and VIN stuff. Save your money -- we'll have a solution considerably less expensive.

8. thelurker

thelurker Rookie

Aug 14, 2005
    sacto
    Full Name:
    j.d.
    same problem on my 99 in last 6 months. it seems to be a common problem, and it is not a fuse or lighting level.

does anyone know if the original part been improved or redesigned, or will a factory replacement cluster "burn out" just like the original? this could mean $4k every 1-5 years for the life of the car? what's the point. i think i'll just insert some glow sticks in there for now.

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Shhhh......... don't give away Daniels solution...

10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Here's a little thought for you guys.

The "backlight" of a 360 is an EL panel custom made for Ferrari.

If you have the cluster out you will see a printed ribbon around the perimeter.. As the actual panel hardly EVER fails it is probably the exciter circuit also know as the power supply to the EL panel.

This panel plugs into the cluster like a ribbon on a computer. There are two contacts on the actual EL panel. As they all work the same way you could concievably remove the ribbon from the cluster and seperately power the EL panel by itself with a key or lights on switch.

It is AC voltage and uses a transformer much like a neon tube does. You also should be able to put a multimeter across the terminals and check for voltage

Here's a link to an EL site that might be helpful.

http://www.electrolamp.com/elpanel.html
    http://www.electrolamp.com/elinverter.html

There are other sites as well.

This is something for the "tech" guys to get into and a future profit item for someone :) as I would think spending 4K for a new cluster is crazy. Can't hurt the EL panel at this point if it's out.

As I am doing the 360 tach faces etc I was researching this to see if I could change the color from factory.

I know if mine goes out this is the route I am taking.

11. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    D you are killing me !!!
    I spoke to Dave a couple of weeks ago about a cluster and he didn't give me this good news.
    I found a used cluster, changing the mileage to match the old is no problem, but the one I got came out of a car with F1 and i need to put into a stick car. Hence I have to little warning lights on. I stripped out the clusters to see if I could just exchange the the ribbon, but the back section of the printed circuit board is "sealed" and i did not feel like owning 2 clusters !!
    On the fuse front, the cluster illumination fuse is a 5 amp behind the drivers seat, I cannot remember the number, sorry, just check 'em all.
    Let me know if your "billion dollar lab" guy comes up with a fix, I have enough cluster to keep him busy all year.
    See ya Friday!!
    D

12. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    My whole cluster is not out, just the numbers. The needles still light up. Any thoughts?

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    1) Check fuse behind the driver's seat.
    2) Pay $4000 for new cluster.
    3) Wait for Daniel to have exchange units available at a lower cost.
    4) Disassemble cluster, attempt own fix by studying up on EL panels and transformers.

I think that about sums up the thread thus far.

14. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Same fault, i just gave Dan another Cluster to "play" with, lets see how this works out.
    We know there is a fix possible, because they do it in the UK, we just have to get there and make it cost effective.
    Good luck getting it from a Dealer with out shelling out north of $5K

15. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You guys seen the "light" yet?

16. John Custer

John Custer Karting

Apr 27, 2002
    #16 John Custer, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Too cool.
    Damian/Daniel how's yours coming along?
    I want to drive:D

18. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    So was the initial problem with the OEM light panel/film or with the OEM ballast/power supply?

19. John Custer

John Custer Karting

Apr 27, 2002
    The OEM light panel failed. The power supply was ok.

20. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks! Nice fix, by the way.

21. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    That is great! How can I do mine. Do you have directions. I would be glad to pay you for your time.

22. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Can a panel be made that has more light coverage?

23. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    My lights just went out. Is this something you can sell? If not is there more information on where to get the EL light panel?

Thanks, Dan

24. PeteV

PeteV Rookie

Mar 23, 2010
    I've just finished replacing the backlight flat panel on my 360 1999, I've previously checked fuses etc but it still does not work :cry:, does any one have another ideas for diagnosis.

cheers
    Pete

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #25 tazandjan, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Nick- These guys can fix your digital instrument panel, regardless of the problem. They rebuilt my 575SA cluster, which had a fire due to a factory assembly error.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    http://www.ferrarioc.com/

Taz
    Terry Phillips