355 RH side manifold replacement on jack stands | FerrariChat

355 RH side manifold replacement on jack stands

Discussion in '348/355' started by Zanzibar, Sep 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Hi all,

The RH side manifold on my 355 has cracked. I ordered a rebuilt one from QV in London. This thread, and especially the very last post by Aeroengineman gives a very good description on how to do the job. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88769

I do not have a car hoist. Would it be feasible to perform this job with the car on jack stands?

Regards,
    Rik Gruwez
    Bruges, Belgium

2. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Karting

Feb 6, 2005
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Steven Verwer
    Yes, that is the model that I used. The wrench from Snap-on is a great tip. Since you already have the car up on jacks might as well get it over with and do both sides.

3. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    So you confirm that the job can be done with the car on jack stands and not using a car lift???
    Thanks,
    Rik

4. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I did this to my 355 2 times as the first set of manifolds from QV had a leak.
    You can do it on stands but it is going to be tough on your knees as you will need bend over and in to get to everything.
    I do not think you can get to much sitting on the ground.
    Good luck.

5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #5 jm3, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is an alternative way to R&R the header.
    It is actually easiest for me to do on the ground rather than a lift, because none of the bolts are accessed from underneath (with the exception of the two muffler clamps). I jack it up enough to get the muffler and rear bumper off, since you have to pull the rear wheels anyway, and then lower the car down enough that I can reach over the top when needed and sit on the ground to undo most if not all of the header bolts. It also makes it easier to use a floor jack to move the motor up and down (after removing the big motor mount bolt)

The cam angle sensor must be removed to do it this way, but that is only 3 bolts. Be sure to order a new gasket for the cam angle sensor, and it is usually leaking anyway.

Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks for the tip, Jay. I am going to take the safe route, and as such I have booked the car with my trusted local mechanic. I am also shopping around for a two-post car hoist. They are pretty reasonably priced. A 3.5 ton two-post hoist is about 4000 Euros, installed. I will probably get one of those.

Regards,
    Rik Gruwez
    Bruges, Belgium