Ernie's Annual Bridgeport Run | FerrariChat

Ernie's Annual Bridgeport Run

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by ErnieGT, Sep 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ErnieGT

ErnieGT Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Sacramento area
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    #1 ErnieGT, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Everyone,

Ernie’s annual Exotic Car Run to Bridgeport is this Saturday, September 22.

Meet at the usual Starbucks in El Dorado Hills (4311 Town Center) at 9 AM sharp. We’ll depart at 9:15 so please be gassed up and ready to go.

Route: East on Hwy 50 to Sly Park Rd, up Mormon Emigrant Trail to Hwy 88, right on 89 and over Monitor Pass (!) to Hwy 395. It’s about 2¾ hours each way (162 miles each way). We’ll have lunch at the usual place (Burger Barn in Bridgeport…awesome burgers, tacos, etc.)

Every year about half of the cars turn back at about the 100-mile mark so if you can’t spare the whole 5 or 6 hours then feel free to join in for as long as you like.

This is an exotic car run, so the following types of cars are welcome: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, high-end Porsche (GT3, etc), Aston Martin, Ford GT, etc...you get the idea

Please, no Vettes, Vipers, BMW, Audi, bikes, etc. please

As always, this is a somewhat leisurely drive with perhaps some spirited moments, so mature drivers only please.

Feel free to INVITE YOUR FRIENDS WITH EXOTIC CARS! You’ll love the drive, scenery, cars and the food!

Get there a little before 9:00 to see the incredible line-up of cars start arriving…

No invitations or RSVP needed...just SHOW UP with your car! See you there!

Ernie (Blue Ford GT)

pics from past drives attached...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    So sad I can't make it this year - Yom Kippur is that day. :(

Have a great drive, Ernie and Friends! This drive was the first one I ever did in the Elise, and I'd have loved to do it the second in the F355... There's always next year!

Orrie

3. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Looks like I may miss the drive as well. I'm having shoulder surgery this Friday. If the pain and mobility don't hold me back, I may meet the group in Markleeville.

4. LarryStiver

LarryStiver Karting

Mar 15, 2006
    Elk Grove
    Full Name:
    Larry Stiver
    Mike...is this with regards to the biking incident? Had my K12S in your area last week.

Not robbing the thread - Tight weekend and I am trying to make arrangements to be on the drive this year. ES is the very next day. Provided we have no last minute details, then I will be there.

5. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
    I went on last year years drive and took the short way home with a bunch of Ford GT's. It was a fantastic day out. Great roads, cool cars and friendly people.....what more can you ask for. Here are some of my pictures from last year.

http://www.zensurweb.com/automobile/sep06/17sep_2006.htm

I currently dont have an exotic but will still be driving out for a cuppa and to see the eye candy at the meeting place.

M.

6. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #6 XSSSIVE, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep, the price to pay for riding motorcycles. Here's what my leg looks like!

7. LarryStiver

LarryStiver Karting

Mar 15, 2006
    Elk Grove
    Full Name:
    Larry Stiver
    OOOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! Now for the shoulder?!!

Ernie, Can't make the run. :( I have my daughter's soccer game and then BBQ - all from noon till 9:00pm. I do plan on meeting up in the morning to say "Hi", take some pics, and give a proper send off.

8. ShopBoy87

ShopBoy87 Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    Sacramento,Ca
    Full Name:
    Matthew H-McCormick
    Looks like we might have to play this one by ear. Wet weather is due in this Wednesday evening and might linger through the first portion of the weekend. Even if the rain is gone by Friday, we still should definitely take into consideration the conditions of the road due to the first rain for the season. I'm sure the hardcores will still want to go out rain or shine, so maybe an abbreviated drive should be in order should the conditions be less than fair? Mike and I will be there with the F-car no matter what mother nature decides to do... Ernie, your thoughts?

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anybody thinking about going up there from the Bay Area?

10. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    Ernie. we would love to join you, unfortunately,I have to work.It is harvest.
    We will miss you all.
    Winston. Nigel and Don
    456MGT

11. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I want to go but my son has a baseball game. He has to be there at 9:30AM and we won't get out of there until 2:00PM.
    Next time.

12. palmer8

palmer8 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would go, but I can't convince any friends to go and I don't have a ride. If it were closer I'd get there somehow, because it sounds like a great crop of cars! Be sure to post some pictures when you guys get back!

13. ErnieGT

ErnieGT Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Sacramento area
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    Wow the weather forecast changed a lot since I planned this drive 2 days ago...looks iffy at best...however let's meet anyway and see how it goes.

Forecasts more than 2 days ahead are pretty shakey sometimes so we'll hope for the best. I remember one of my Sunday drives before, when on Thursday they said "heavy rain on Sunday" and then the storm blew through earlier than expected and we ended up with a sunny drive all day...so let's give it a shot and see what happens.

Judging by the emails flowing in there will be a very strong showing! I have about 80 guys that I directly email, and some of them have good contacts for other exotics as well so we've got a large pool to draw from.

See you there!

14. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    If the weather holds out you all should try to make it. It's a beautiful drive- great for sportscars.
    I went once when vipers were allowed and it was a really cool drive.

15. Joshkeefer

Joshkeefer Rookie

Sep 10, 2007
    Union City, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Keefer
    i can do photo coverage, if i can ride with someone. i drive a old lame car, and it would certainly throw off the whole feel and look of the run. so if i can meet anyone somewere, and hop in thier car, i can do some fly by shots and just general photography.

16. ErnieGT

ErnieGT Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Sacramento area
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    The latest Saturday weather forecast: El Dorado Hills Partly Cloudy, Bridgeport 60% chance of rain. Doesn't look too bad, maybe the forecast will improve some more?

Saw an awesome silver Gallardo and a Mayback today in EDH. I think I would rather have the Gallardo (2 Gallardo's actually).

17. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
    Bummer that is the we have our charity event.

18. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
  19. JediMindGamez

JediMindGamez Rookie

Feb 15, 2006
    Davis
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Just wanted to make sure this is a go? Don't wanna drive out from davis for nothing.

20. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    My shoulder surgery went well today. I'm planning on meeting the group in Markleeville if the weather holds out. It may be a better day for the Gallardo with snow levels dropping to 7,000 ft. elevation.

Is there a law about driving with only one arm?

21. ErnieGT

ErnieGT Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Sacramento area
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    The meeting is certainly a go. We'll decide where to drive when we meet (Sat 9 AM)...latest forecast says definite rain in Bridgeport, but in EDH only 30% chance of slight rain...so perhaps some or most of the route to Bridgeport may be reasonably good. Maybe we'll go to Georgetown instead, or if the weather looks halfway decent we'll head toward Bridgeport and see what happens.

A new contact with an Atom just called me to say he is 'in' as long as it is not raining in the morning...

22. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

Vipers aren't exotic in your book? Yet Lotus is? Wow an 03 or newer Viper is far more exotic than any Lotus elise IMHO. How about an Audi R8?

No offense Ernie but what exactly is your definition of Exotic? Or is it just a "your sandbox" type of thing?

23. ErnieGT

ErnieGT Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Sacramento area
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    Hi JLP-

I have no precise definition of exotic but I have to draw the line somewhere...if I invite Vipers, Audi, etc then the participants that have the high-end cars start dropping off...when I contact new potentials they almost always ask "are we driving with Corvettes, BMW's, etc or is it exotic cars only?". The other reason I don't usually invite them is that there will be too many cars.

It's nothing against those cars, I'd like to own them myself of course. No matter how I set it up there will always be someone on the outside looking in.

24. LarryStiver

LarryStiver Karting

Mar 15, 2006
    Elk Grove
    Full Name:
    Larry Stiver
    All this came up last year too. Ernie is a good guy throwing together his own driving get together. Yes its exclusive, and most the folks who attend prefer to keep it that way. Out of respect to that feeling, come if you are invited and leave it alone if you are not. It is nothing personal and he has never meant it to be either. All of Ernie's drives make for great pics, and stories for those that attend that we can all share in afterwards. If he made the invitation wide open, then he would have the owners/cars he wants most staying away from the drive while attracting just as many that could be problems - mostly because they have something to prove. As it stands now, its a carefully displayed gourmet lineup that he is doing. If you have a different vision of what it could be...start one up that is just as exclusive or more inclusive. Unfortunately, Ernie sets himself up for critisism by excluding even just one person so anyone else can expect the same if they choose to put something together themselves. Make it wide open - "too many tuners, bmws, 914s, VWs etc so I pulled out of the drive" Thats cool. Make it exclusive (like Ernie's) "my car is faster than ___, my car is more expensive than ___, my car is just plain-o better than ____, etc. See, you just can't win. I personally like Vipers better than a Lotus Elise. But I also believe that Lotus as a whole holds an existing "exotic or super car" status already, whereas a Viper is just an all out bada$$ vehicle without that accepted supercar status yet IMHO.

25. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Like I said I mean't no offense but I was curious as to how Ernie was quantifying an Exotic. I'm sure Ernie is a good guy.

As far as Vipers vs Lotus goes I find it odd that a Lotus with a 190 BHP 4 cylinder and a MSRP of $42,000 is considered more exotic than a composite Viper with a 505 bhp V-10 and a MSRP of $90,000 plus??

I tend to think of Exotics as cars that look stunning and have stunning world class performance, not just cars built in other countries. A SRT-10 Viper is probably considered an exotic car by 99% of the worlds automotive enthusiasts and perfomance wise it is also one of the fastest production cars in the world.