De-chroming original 328 wheels - anyone have experience? | FerrariChat

De-chroming original 328 wheels - anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by clokey, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clokey

clokey Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 clokey, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've recently purchased an '88 328 GTS knowing it needed some work (both mechanically and electrically). This has now been done and its time to think about the aesthetics, particularly the interior (very impressed with Jerry's handiwork). I'm also very unsure about the original wheels being chromed by the previous owner.....the chroming job is very good but I'd like to have the original Al finish back. Does anyone have any experience de-chroming wheels and refinishing to the original condition, and if so, could make a recommendation of somewhere in SoCal to do this work?

The car I purchased was a local Newport ('ish) car so I'd be interested in any history anyone has on it. I had a PPI and think I know pretty much everything it’s been through (including paintwork) but am always interested in knowing more...I have a pretty thick skin! SN# 74759

I'd also like to join you guys on one of your meets....I frequent Newport regularly (girlfriend resides there) and I live in the South Bay. I'm still in the newbie phase of ownership and take it out of the garage at every opportunity...... e.g.....owned for 3.5 weeks and completed 1000 miles with it being off the road for a week’s maintenance.

Appreciate anyones views (likes/dislikes) on the chrome finish on the wheels……
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I am a big fan of the original look as well. I don't know how it could be done at home but you could check out www.wheelenhancement.com
    They do mostly Porsche wheels and I think they are in Cali. Not sure about pricing but it's a start. Good luck!

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is awesome!! Congrats on the new purchase. :)

I'm sure you can have the chrome blasted off with some sort of media. Not sure what finish (if any) you are suppossed to put on after that.

Let me know if you plan on tackling anything in the interior, as that is what I am most familiar with on my car. I'll help you any way I can - Heck, you're not too far from me, I can even cruise over & help you work on anything you decide to do!

Congrats, & enjoy the car - hope to meet you soon at Crystal Cove or one of the local drives.

Take Care,
    Slag

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

For the cost of the refinishing, you could probably buy original wheels from Ferrari UK. They still have the convex wheels in stock. Check out the sponsors link above.

FWIW, I like the chrome wheels, I have them on my car. Congrats on the purchase! Do you have any other pictures of the car?

5. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    I don't really think the chrome wheels look that bad either. And as Tillman said, you can always buy originals.

6. ferrarinascar

ferrarinascar Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Irvine
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congratulations on the purchase. Great wheels and color.

7. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte

8. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to FChat.

If you have problems de-chroming then we have New Genuine OE non-ABS wheels in stock. The prices are:

#125757 - 328 Front Rim - £150.15 each
    #125925 - 328 Rear Rim - £165.45 each

These are available to order securely online at www.owners.ferrari.com or you can contact me directly on [email protected]

Best
    Mark

9. MT360

MT360 Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    Newport Beach, Calif
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I also recently purchased my first Ferrari - an '87 328. The Seller redid the wheels and they look great. If you would like, I will ask him where he got the wheels done.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hi Mike, Good to see you here!!!

Fill out your profile with a nice pic of that red beauty. :)

I have been meaning to ask you for the info on the guy that did the leather work on your interior - Do you happen to have that info handy??

Thanks!

11. MT360

MT360 Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    Newport Beach, Calif
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Slag - I'll get the info and give to you at CC. If it rains, I'll email or fax to you.

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds good - Thanks Mike!

13. clokey

clokey Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks to everyone for the input and good wishes. I'll check out some of the recommendations and let you know my decision. Like I said, I’m unsure about the chromes and haven’t made up my mind what to do yet. I’m tempted to buy a second set of wheels and keep the chromes for a while.....there's always e-bay if I decide to let them go!

I’ll try to make it down to CC soon to meet some of my fellow enthusiasts.

Thanks.

Paul.

14. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    Ferrari_CO,

do have the price of 94 348 spyder wheels?
    there not on owners.ferrari.com
    Mike