Advice for garage floor? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Advice for garage floor?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jeff328, Jun 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    #51 staceman, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jeff,

I'm late to the post however if you're interested in seeing this project (you'll need to bring the 328 with you!) send me a private message and I'll give you my number. I'm literally next door in a neighboring village. This installation was done three years ago with Kiwi Tiles and has been perfect given our harsh climate, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. driver

driver Karting

Sep 19, 2002
    I went with a professionally applied epoxy floor, and I love it. The prep was very important, and not something that I believe can be DIY. Nothing sticks to the floor...and nothing stains it. Cleanup is simple. Oil drips wipe up with a paper towel.
    A comment in general...I don't think that it's a good idea to let a Ferrari sit for 6 months without being driven. You are asking for trouble.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #53 BT, Jul 12, 2007
    Here are the pics of the floor I put down last weekend. It is the tiles from www.floorjunkies.com . I like it, took about 9 hours to do altogether (after we had the floor level corrected). In the first few pictures it is just a plain concrete slab with a matte sealer on it.
    First, I put down a cement bonding agent to allow the levelling mix to bond to the existing slab (the blue stuff). I marked a line on the floor using a 6 foot level to find where the 'break' in the slab was from a blown form on the slab.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #54 BT, Jul 12, 2007
    Then a sand topping mix is applied and troweled to a positive slope to drain any water on the slab to the garage doors (the grey stuff). Let this sit for about 12-16 hours (overnight), and get some rest. I used about ten 60 pound bags. you can see the garage is now ready for a final sweep and the new snap together tiles to be laid down.
    :D
    BT

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #55 BT, Jul 12, 2007
    I started at the garage doors using the transition strip and about 3 rows of tile. then working left to right I filled in the pattern. I had laid the pattern out using a cadd program, so I had a map to guide me, and two kids to help hold the tiles up while I stepped on them to snap into place. A little striping next to the cavallino and some venetian plaster to gice it a good depth and we are almost done.
    BT

6. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Wow that's beautiful! My daughter saw the pictures and she thinks it looks great.

7. Peter2

Peter2 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Your garage turned out great Bill. It looks awesome. :)

8. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    BT, what is the Miata style car? Looks pretty sweet...

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Wow... How many tiles did that take? My guess is about 1300?

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Awesome garage work there BT!

Personally I'm leaning towards epoxy, with maybe some mat / overlay on the daily driver side for the winter.

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Thanks. It has been a long project (about a year to build), but worth it!
    BT

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It a Ginetta G20. A little british car that uses Ford Zetec engines in Europe, and a Miata 1.8 drivetrain here. It is funny that everyone recognizes it as a miata style car (from the headlights), even though the lights are from a Ford in Europe. It is loads of fun, very loud and hot, and really small. Compared to a Miata it is about 10" shorter in height, almost 3 feet less in length, and about 1100 pounds lighter.
    BT

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Close, it used almost exactly 1600 tiles. We actually spent about 7 hours snapping the tiles in, so the rate is over 200 s.f. per hour to install this stuff. My feet were sore after the install though.
    :)
    BT

14. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #65 Jeff328, Sep 17, 2007
    The garage is finally finished! For the floor I ended up going with PremiereGarage's polymer coating. They did the prep and application. They used a diamond grinder to clean and level the floor. The whole process took 2 days. I am very pleased with the results, the floor looks great and has been very easy to keep clean. We'll see how it holds up over winter. PremierGarage gives a 5 year warranty on the finish.

Here's a picture -

15. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I put Rust-O-lieum epoxy system on my garage floor about a month ago. I started out by pressure washing, then I gave it an acid bath and scrubbed the stains and grease spots away. Then I went over it again with the pressure washer. Next I filled in the cracks, then I finally applied the epoxy. The floor had a broom finish on it and it still has a broom finish but the deep crannies are filled in a little bit. If you don't do a good job of filling in the cracks, the mistakes will show. It's all in the prep work. I found that the floor took up a lot more epoxy than the box advertised. I figured that was because of the broom finish. A couple of days later I put another coat of epoxy on it and one gallon covered most of the floor. My garage is about 650 sqft. Over all I used four gallons at $50 bucks a gallon.

Since then I have dragged some pretty heavy stuff over it and there have been no scratches. Some of the stuff I dragged over it would have left marks in the original concrete too. As I was putting the stuff down I didn't like it and felt that garage floor paint would have been just as good. Now that it's done I'm happy with it. I went with the gray color and didn't put in the color flakes. So the floor color looks just like a navy ship.

Bob Wassam

16. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    #67 NYJETSFAN, Sep 18, 2007
  17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Looks great Jeff! Are those wall cabinets and the tall cabinet the ones from Lowe's??? I am getting ready to add some cabinets in the garage and was considering those as the most likely brand to get. If it is the same one, what do you think of them?
    BT

18. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Thanks Bill!

My cabinets are from Whirlpool's Gladiator GarageWorks line. They do sell them at Lowe's. I bought mine from Sears, they were on sale and 20% less expensive than Lowe's at the time. However Lowe's everyday price is a little lower than Sear's everyday price. (There is a Gladiator Cadet line that is inferior to the regular Gladiator lineup, so beware when shopping)

I really like the cabinets. They are well made and sturdy. They are premium priced compared to some other brands but after looking at many of them in person you absolutely get what you pay for. If you aren't looking to blow 10 grand on commercial cabinets then the Gladiators are the way to go. My wife likes them, too :)

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Thanks for the info. It seems like you get a really stout cabinet for the $$$ with those. I guess I'll go buy them this weekend. As soon as I finish refinishing the boat...
    BT

20. jim frank

jim frank Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    florida
    Full Name:
    jim
    Bill, your garage floor is prettier than my tiled living room,but I'm too old to do all that work(bad back and all) and too cheap to hire someone, I only live an hour south of you.Could you stop by sometime and do this for me? Jim

21. rareguitar

rareguitar Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Brad King
    #72 rareguitar, Sep 20, 2007
  22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    If you want I could probably do it. But it would have to wait for the weather to cool off.
    BT

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #74 Chiaro_Slag, Sep 26, 2007