Enzo v. MC12 Driving expierience? | FerrariChat

Enzo v. MC12 Driving expierience?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Kami, Sep 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I just finished watching the Enzo and MC12 Top Gear episodes and it has me thinking. Clarkson absolutely loved the Enzo, and had similar comments to say about the MC12. A few differences were his comments about the bulk of the Maserati v. the Enzo, as well as his confusion as to if it was a supercar or GT car. He also made a comment while the Stig was doing the lap in the MC12 about how the lack of TC in the Maserati allowed him to put it around the track faster. I was pretty surprised to see that the Maserati did lap the track faster than the Enzo.

Just wondering if anyone here has driven both and what comparisons they would make? From the comments, it seems that the MC12 would be the car that takes more skill to drive fast. Are the Enzo's driver aids that limiting, and can't they be disabled?

2. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    The MC12 is actually very easy to drive fast, possibly easier than the Enzo, since it was predominantly designed as a GT1 racecar. However, it is very bulky (long and wide) with massive overhangs which can be limiting on country roads in the UK. The MC12 does have TC, and is a very good car.

The Enzo is much more compact and a little bit more responsive, although possibly a bit more frantic too. It's very much personal choice, although the Enzo is a lot more practical to use than the MC12!

I'd be interested in other people's comments too!

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I like the longer wheelbase of the MC 12 but agree that on the road it is very bulky. I also find the Enzo's overhangs tough on the street. This is the major thing we dealt with designing P 4/5. We shortened the overhangs, and gave her more tire which made her less frantic and fine on very tight roads including those of the Targa Florio.

I'm sure that the new Ferrari Supercar will be much more drivable as it will be much smaller and have shortened overhangs as
    well.

4. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Ah, just the two guys I was hoping would have an answer. Thanks! Anyone else?

5. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I will be driving both of these cars next weekend...Oct 6th. I'll have the chance to drive the Enzo, MC12 and Bugatti V. I'm of course really looking forward to it, and if anyone could give me some pointers and little tricks on launching that would be very appreciated, so that I don't embarrass myself! :)

6. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    All those cars are very easy to "launch". Are you driving on the road or track??

You'll find the both the MC12 and Enzo fantastic - very responsive and surprisingly light steering, which is nice lap after lap! And the turn-in on the MC12 is amazing!

The Veyron might be a little disappointing compared to the other two. Of course, it's flat out acceleration is stunning, but it's steering is unimpressive and unless you absolutely plant the accelerator it struggles to find the appropriate gear from the auto box. Personally, I don't think that it feels as expensive and of the quality that it should........

Now that's opened a "can of worms" that will run and run here on FChat.......!!!

7. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    thanks for the response. I'll be driving on a track....although I won't be pushing car to it's limits.....it'll be an "easy" track day, I don't plan on going over 150 in any of the cars..... and that's only if I feel comfortable at that!

8. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    You must post pics of this! I'll be very interested in hearing your feedback following the event. Keep us posted!

9. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    I cant really talk for track time on the MC12, but I have driven one on British roads. I find, like the Enzo, the nose lift a massive advantage, but the lack of rear view mirror and infact rear window a turn-off, especially looking in the wing mirrors and being able to see very little behind you because of the rear wing. The noises in the Enzo, after the initial startup of course, are few, it really can be plesant all day long in town, but the MC12 is SO loud, inside the cockpit, you know you are only a few inches away from the engine. The doors are massivly wide, there is nothing but two slots in the doorcard to put anthing, you cant see ****, you cant hear ****, reversing just wont happen, the instrument cluster looks like its fresh out of a 360, the key is a 3200 one painted blue, but I love the MC12. The Enzo on the other hand, its so tame, you can hit the race button and have it sharper, or be balls out and swich TC off and you have a hardcore, no messing supercar, but one that literally can be used to go to the shops, trust me, I do it ;-)

10. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Good to hear you enjoy the car!

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    :) Yeah I have heard that Enzo's function quite well as a daily run about. Good on you mate.

12. herragge

herragge Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Alberta
    I have heard some say that the Top Gear test track is not the most ideal or suitable track for supercars of Enzo or MC-12 caliber. It is relatively tight, doesn't have many long straights where the V-12's are really opened up and doesn't have very many high speed corners either; it is possible that more of these would help distinguish the supercars from sports-cars on their track. This could make a larger difference in lap times between the Enzo and MC-12, not just hundreths or tenths of a second. So personally, I wouldn't take the Enzo and MC-12 Top Gear lap times too seriously. Just thought I would add that to the discussion.

13. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    I've owned both cars, as well as the Veyron, and while I really enjoyed both, they are very different. Most of the differences have already been described but, at the risk of being redundant, I will give my view.
    The Enzo is very easy to drive and for the the most part, other than when just started or when under full throttle, fairly quiet. The MC-12 has a great sound, I believe primarily from the transmission, but is very loud and somewhat difficult to drive. The visibility is very limited and the car is just large. It is very long and very wide which I am told makes is perform incredibly well on the track. Just getting the MC-12 out of the garage can be a task. The Enzo seems much more reponsive to me especially from a standing start.
    They are both incredible cars which I feel very fortunate to be able to drive let alone own. Which one do I like best? If I were more inclined to participate in track events, I would probably have enjoyed the MC-12 more than I did. For street use, I feel the Enzo has it over the MC-12. I still own the Enzo and probably will for a long period of time. That being said, the MC-12 is probably the better collector car based on the extremely limited production.

14. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    How would you compare the Enzo to the F50? I personally think the F50 looks a lot better but have driven neither so I cannot comment on the mechanics.

15. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I've also considered this. Either way the difference was by a tenth of a second. Maybe the Stig just had a really good day :)

16. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    And it may not have been the same Stig......!

17. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Who knows??????????

18. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    LOL. We'll never know. The Stig did look very smooth going around that track in the MC12, very impressive.

19. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    A number of well-known UK racing drivers have all been the Stig - it varies from series to series and even during a series, depending on drivers' availability!

20. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Some say he hangs upside down like a bat, and that he's wanted by the CIA.

21. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    have you been the stig? :)