VC Hillclimb video on Youtube | FerrariChat

VC Hillclimb video on Youtube

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Fast_ian, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hi,

As some of you know, the FCA-PR annual Virginia City Hillclimb was this past weekend. As usual, an awesome time was had by all. More unusually there were no incidents whatsoever - Our buddy OB was indeed watching over us. (RIP buddy!)

Anyway, the link below is to one of my Saturday runs (I'm still working on the Sunday runs) - The data shows the in-car speedo to be about 10-12mph "optimistic" at a true 112mph.....

The tire squeal has to go! - I can feel a set of Hoosiers coming before next year :)

The line into turn 3 was an experiment that I never repeated.....

Enjoy,
    Cheers,
    Ian
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJycPV51ZQ

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve

Nice one Ian looks good fun did your car need any work doing on it after that..?

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Excellent video: thank you for sharing!

Was at the Villars Ollon hillclimb in Switzerland a week ago and that was a gorgeous event to watch, did the course backwards on the sunday evening when all had gone, following a Lamborghini Miura driven fairly quickly (but not flat out as I would not have been able to keep up in my rental car but still I was understeering and oversteering at the same time a few times, absoltely on the limit trying to keep up and that combined with the looks and sounds of the Miura ahead was unforgettable...my rental car smelled of brakes and tires at the bottom of the moutain and that was only 8 kilometers!

Where exactly is the Virginia City hillclimb located?

Best regards,

Marc

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not at all! - I was simply driving "her" the way I believe Enzo intended. [The stock Bridgestone tires are now about 50% worn, but I figure thats the price of "fun"....]

And, please remember, the hillclimb can bite, *hard* - Despite all the squealing I still feel I'm at no more than 9/10ths, and generally less.

Thanks!
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you! :)

Seriously - Just outside of Carson City, NV - We (the FCA-PR, in combination with Nevada DOT and the cops/fireservice in two counties) close the truck route alternative road (SR342) that runs up to Virginia City - Its about 5.2mi and 1,200ft elevation change.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Wow that was sensational! Thank you for sharing it. You tore through that course superbly. That kind of fine-tuned aggression is thrilling to watch, even on the tiny youtube box ;)

What is the software that allows you to process the readout like that?

7. alvin582

alvin582 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 25, 2007
    really sensational!
    I haven't watched it for a long time.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Many thanks for the compliment!

There are actually 2 "packages" involved:

1. "Traqmate" [www.traqmate.com] - Is a GPS/accelerometer based data acquistion package. This data is then uploaded to their S/W ("Traqview") and exported as a CSV for import into:
    2. "Trackvision" [www.trackvision.net] - Creates a virtual dashboard over the video. Sync the two feeds and then export the resultant file.

Next task is to capture RPM and throttle position and add that to the video......

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for the info.

If you enter hillclimb on board video on youtube or similar you will fish out some amazing videos, you can also try it in French:

course de cote

in Italian

corsa in salita

in German

Bergrennen

Enjoy!