Dont know what to do | FerrariChat

Dont know what to do

Discussion in '360/430' started by Thurminatr, Sep 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thurminatr

Thurminatr Karting

May 25, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Man Im torn I have had my 360 spider for 4 months and cant help but get the feelings of guilt out of me that I really dont need to have a car like this even though I have longed for it. My girlfriend rides my case about what excess it is and how its a hassle to take out because I wont just park it anywhere. She constantly reminds of how the extra attention it brings is bothersome. Then I can take my buddy out on a Saturday night and we just have a blast with it and can stand in the garage for an hour after we get back just looking at it and talking about it. I dont know if she is jealous of the car and the extra attention it brings me? She says I care too much about an object and should look at the bigger more important things in life. So naturally I take those comments to heart and it bothers me. This girl is a long term girl in my mind and I dont want to be selfish especially over a car, aside from taking a financial hit with the taxes I just dont want to have this feeling if I sell of disdain for her. I'm fairly young at 26 and maybe there will be a time later in life for something like this but then again maybe not. Have any of you guys had to deal with this before?

2. Stradale Joe

Stradale Joe Karting

Jul 26, 2006
    downtown
    Full Name:
    Joe Panache

You are who you are and if she can not respect the things that make you happy (as long as you can afford it-it's not preventing you from paying your mortgage,etc) find yourself another girlfriend. This nagging about the car will be followed by other things to rag on you about. If she truly cares for you and the things that make you happy she would respect your feeling and not put such a guilt trip on you for it. Been there...done that...get rid of this girl and get yourself a real woman! (BTW- I have a son your age and I would tell him exactly the same thing)

3. Thurminatr

Thurminatr Karting

May 25, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Yeah I could understand if my finacial situation was not in order but it is, the car is paid for and it was something I had set a goal for and I was fortunate enough to meet my goal. I feel like I have never really put the car in front of her but she makes out to be that I value the car more than her at times and it just makes driving in it with her miserable and pointless at times...Maybe I just make a point to never take her out in it anymore and she will leave me alone about it. But i hear you about the future nagging and not accepting me for who Iam stuff...Just gets complicated when there are feelings involved.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    take it from personal experience, lose that gal as fast as possible. She'll make your life hell. My guess is that she's extremely insecure and worries that your Ferrari will attract women. Insecure/jealous women are the absolute worst. I dated one for four years and it was the worst. I thought if I loved her enough, she would come around, but whatever her problem was, I couldn't fix it. When I got a Ferrari, she had nothing but snide, negative comments about it.

A secure woman would have no problem with what car you drive. If it makes you happy, it would make her happy too. My current girl friend loves my 360 and is always joking with me about "Honey, can I take the car to the store". When I drive the car, I joke with her that "I have to drive the Ferrari now and be cool... maybe pickup some chicks". She just laughs. Since she's secure in herself and our relationship, it doesn't bother her. Besides, no body tells me what to do, what car to buy, etc. And if anyone were to start giving me a guilt trip over something, Ferrari or something else I enjoy in life, I would show them the door in short order...

The problem isn't the car, it's the girl. Life's too short man.

Ray

5. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Simple, sell the chick.

6. Thurminatr

Thurminatr Karting

May 25, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Always good to hear from people who have had more life experience than me. I hear you about the insecure issues which I cant grasp why she would feel that way but I probably should not even bother trying to understand that. I consider myself to have a good head on my shoulders but man women make decisions tough I have learned. Just seems so silly over a car which in theroy should only bring smiles and pleasurable experiences.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Most likely, it will only get worse. In my experience, it's much better to find a woman that fits your life and what makes you happy, than to try to change your life/self to fit some nutty gal that has come along.

When I first start dating a girl (or even chatting with her), I always do two things. First, I mention my ex-girlfriends in conversation to see if she has a negative reaction about it. A secure woman will realize your ex's are part of your life/history and will not have any problem discussing ex girlfriend #1, #2, #3, etc. Second, I suggest going to a strip club. Most insecure/uptight women will balk at this and/or completely wig out at even the suggestion of it. However, most secure/laid back women will have little if any issues about and and will usually be quite happy to go and have a good time with you.

In my 20+ years of dating, I've found those two acid tests are a sure fire way to weed out the crazy/insecure/jealous nuts real fast. Not always, but I'd say 95% of the time.

Ray

8. JoeT

JoeT Karting

Jun 16, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    I couldn't agree more with the above; dump her now before your guilt trip that she has laid upon you makes you do something really irrational like marry her. Then she'll take 50% of everything you own including the Ferrari. This is just an omen of things to come. Cut the cord now. However; as my father always said "advice is what the wise don't give and fools don't take".
    JT

9. Nielsq

Nielsq Karting

Dec 23, 2006
    NY Metro Area
    Full Name:
    Nielsq
    Ditto,ditto,ditto,ditto,ditto,etc.
    He's right on. Been there. Insecure girlfriends or wives no matter how beautiful will make your life a living hell.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    She is "only" a girlfriend now and already she is giving you grief regarding your passion and interest.
    Just imagine how bad it could be when she has your balls in a cuff.....(marriage)

11. Thurminatr

Thurminatr Karting

May 25, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    Full Name:
    Charles
    LOL man I know that part it a wake up call....in many respects I believe she is naive and immature but at 22 who is not...Just really sucks to see this side come out over a car, I just remember how proud and excited I was to see that car roll of the truck and into my driveway my dad still brags about it and then to sit there and hear her make some of the comments just sucks.

12. campbell53

campbell53 Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    She has suffers from severe insecurity. Take my word for it...if it is not this car it WILL BE something else. Sell the car and she will say your stamp collecting takes too much time. Or your sail boat is too much of a problem. Whatever...you will never win with this girl. Find someone who enjoys you for who you are.

13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dude, there are 5 billion people in the world, find another girlfriend ASAP!!!!!!! My wife and I have been married 14 years and we wholeheartedlly support each other and our passions!! No guilt, no shame, just love!
    Sorry, but move on and there will be someone else, don't worry! And the cool thing, the right one will love you for all the things you are and not a few, how great will that be!!

Robert

14. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    If completely understand what you are saying. If you are looking for true happiness in your life and a long term relationship, I would advise you to get rid of it....the girlfriend. Chicks come and go...but a Ferrari....come on dude. If she can't be happy because you are, she should be 88 and out the gate!

15. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    If she is on your case about your car she will be on your case about other things. Take this behavior as a preview of what will come in the future. People don't change, this is the way she is. Is this how you want to live?

16. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    What color is your car, how many miles, manual or F1?

Seriously...if you "solve" these problems now with her, they WILL manifest themselves somewhere later to your dismay and possible greater cost. I dont know what it is, my wifes parents always went apoplectic when I got a new/used car FAR before my F car days..I mean Fiat, used BMWs etc. And I was doing well. They are under the grass now and my wife has gradually come around to the fact that it is OK to enjoy life. But you are facing a controling move and you must determine if this is a characteristic you will be dealing with if you get new golf clubs, buy a neat watch, whatever...even doing something nice for her...its just a material thing. Does she feel the same about little blue boxes from Tiffany's? Personally I think there's nothing cooler or sexier than a woman who shares my passions, enjoys these things but realizes they "aren't life." but doesnt throw a guilt trip on me. I try to reciprocate for her interests..

Good luck..

Chris

17. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    As harsh as it may sound... the guys on this forum make excellent points. Yeah, she's young at 22 and likely has a lot of growing up to do, but if you're right and she's jealous of your car, and you sell it, it will be something else. She might outgrow this insecurity, or not. I'm in my late 40's and know a few women who've never changed... and remain single b/c no one will put up with their s$#t, no matter how pretty they are.

If you're able to afford a 360 Spider at 26, chances are you've got a bright future ahead of you... take your time and find the right women. As one wise F-Chat member posted below, make this mistake and she'll take half of everything you own AND your Ferrari.

Move on.

Good luck,
    Frank

18. BCS

BCS Karting

Aug 28, 2007
    NJ/NY
    Full Name:
    Bill
    your 26!!! go out and have a good time. Forget the long term GF at this stage in your life

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1

20. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Good advice here; lose the girlfriend.

She'll probably lay some stupid guilt trip on you about "how could a car mean more than her", but it has nothing to do with the car, it has to do with how she's reacting to your interests. If she can't support what's important to you, then she's not a good partner. (That goes both ways though).

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The world is full of women like this, and consequently the world is also full of unhappy, depressed men, wondering where it all went wrong.
    Confidence, Tolerance and Acceptance are three qualities you absolutely must have in a mate and this gal is sorely lacking all of them - Run Forrest run! As fast as you can! As far away as you can go!

22. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Any guy who leaves home has dealt with it before. All the advice you see here is good, with the possible exception of using strip clubs as a litmus test for a relationship (unless the author likes watching men get naked in front of his loved one).

I offer the following. You sound level headed. You are being emotionally blackmailed. As said throughout the posts, it is only the beginning. A 22 year old "woman" will not be there at 32. If whatever she gives you is worth it, then pay a price you can live with later. If the price is too high, feel the pain and say goodbye. Best

23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Very well said and also true in my situation!

24. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    A woman jealous of a car is trouble now, and bigger trouble in the future. A good woman encourages her man to do what makes him happy as long as it is harmless. I've had both types so my opinion comes from experience.

25. TokyoF430

TokyoF430 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Dude, I have three words - ditch the *****.

Seriouly, if she is jealous of a damn car, how is she gonna cope when you have to go away on a business trip to
    some exotic location with a bunch of 28 / 29 year old guys or something, she will freak!

My wife is 26 and I am a wee bit older, she wants me to buy a Lamborghini! I will be the typical porky guy losing my hair with a beer belly and in a flashy car with a girl that could be mistaken for my daughter : ) She is pretty secure!