1st Crash Pics... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

1st Crash Pics...

Discussion in '308/328' started by jimshadow, Jul 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Writing about this is therapy and your post made me smile!!! You may be on to something there...I SHOULD'VE camped out in the garage. I'm sure she was missing me. LOL!!! Hopefully, she'll be home soon.

Thanks for all the support. I need it, otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out!!!!

JIM

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Jimbo, what a bummer!

I feel for ya............

If you want, I can ship one of my cars out to you to use until yours is on the road again.

I know, being without an F-Car is like being without a life. :(

Skippity

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll be the desenter again. The odds anything major beyond that cover are in trouble are pretty nil. They are tough castings, and I believe you would have noticed gearbox trouble in the form of shifting or noise long before it began leaking, and thats really not a major leak, trust me. If it were mine I would take the cover and have it carefully welded, tighten the nut and stake it, and put it back together and go try it out. The last thing you need now is for the car to be taken apart over that only to find nothing wrong. Its to easy to mess something else up and you wont see your car until spring. And if down the line you do run into a real gearbox problem, plan an engine out service and detailing around it and deal with it then.

4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM

Skip, you're awesome!
    If it weren't so late in the season, I'd take ya up on that. ;)
    We're going to get together this time since the car is in your back yard again and I'll be buying the 'diet coke'.

JIM

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    You know, the car shifted fine all along, right up until I pulled into the drive where its sitting today. I never noticed anything funny at all except the fine smell of hot gear oil, so I'm hoping you're correct. Question...Would the heat from this damage that lower gear?

JIM

6. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I think if you replace the cover you will be ok. I have fixed several wrecked fwd cars that have a similar setup and all they required was end cap replacement.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Holy crap! Who would have guessed?
    McCann has a new cover in stock for $225.
    I would have bet you it cost way over a grand and you couldn't find a new one anywhere in the US.

8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I keep hearing that, but what about the heat on that lower gear? I've heard of another failure where the gear slipped like mine has, but the gear was damaged by the heat... That is my current concern.

Dave,
    I saw that. Try looking up the price of the gears which I understand should be replaced as a set....OUCH! (I guess they can be purchased as a set for alot less, but I'll wait to see what Continental says first.)

JIM

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Can you really just replace the cover? My cover had a number stamped on it. Right next to the exact same number stamped on the tranny case. I thought this was the factory's way of telling you that the cases are a set, no mixing and matching. I'm guessing that the machining of the gear mounting needs to be exactly aligned and that it is done while the two are bolted together. But that's just a guess, based on the position of two identical stamped numbers. Could mean nothing.

I would try to fix the original cover, and not just because I'm cheap.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Oh when its all said and done I don't think there is any doubt that you're replacing gears.
    I'll bet you find metal shavings inside that case with damage to the face of that gear, or more likely, the shim behind it.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You know Jim in the grand scheme I'm a bit jealous of you. Look at all the very high quality work you're getting done by a dealer for a couple hundred dollars of your own money. You can document it all. You'll have pictures and service bills. Nobody will dispute the quality.

When its all done you're going to have a freshly painted euro GT4 with a freshened tranny, new suspen bushings, fuel lines, etc, etc. You car will be worth more than it was before the oops.

<mumbles under his breath "lucky prick">

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Dave,

You're not the only one who is busting my b*lls on that. The whole thing sucks, but you're right, a lot of things are getting addressed. I have a few $K into the additional cosmetic work and depending on what Continental says, I'm sure there will be a "while you're in there" here too.
    Pete, from Custom Cars keeps telling me that getting hit has been the best thing to happen to this car yet....he may be right.

JIM

13. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrecktech
    I think if you replace the cover you will be ok. I have fixed several wrecked fwd cars that have a similar setup and all they required was end cap replacement.

Originally Posted by jimshadow
    I keep hearing that, but what about the heat on that lower gear? I've heard of another failure where the gear slipped like mine has, but the gear was damaged by the heat... That is my current concern.

If the gears are not "blued" from heat and there are no shavings you should be ok unless there is something I am missing. The end cap could probably be tig welded if need be.

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I'll find out Monday what is going on...

JIM

15. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Good luck and if you have any doubts err on the side of caution. It is really hard to tell from just a photo on the internet. The repairs did look first rate though. Do you know what brand of paint they used?

16. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    They really did an excellent job! I'm not sure on the paint, but I can find out. Are you coming to the Ft. Wayne gathering next weekend?

JIM

17. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    Jim

I may have a cover for you if the new one doesn't work out, I have some parts I purchased coming in the beginning of the week and there was a cover with it.
    let me know if you need it.

18. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Good luck and if you have any doubts err on the side of caution. It is really hard to tell from just a photo on the internet. The repairs did look first rate though. Do you know what brand of paint they used?

19. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #194 jimshadow, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I spoke to Continental today. They are waiting on parts and *should* have the car ready to come back home by mid next week. It looks like they are going to replace the gears as a set along with a brand new cover.
    Unfortunately, I'm missing the great weekend that is coming (and the local Ferrari gathering...) but what can I do?
    I don't have pics to post but if by chance they took any, I'll put them up when I get them....

JIM

21. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Well, it sucks that you got hit, and sucks you're out of using the car for a while, but h*ll, the dang thing will be practically brand new when you get it back.

James in Denver

22. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Car looks great!

Almost there

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That'll be 1 bag of Ida Red apples please :)

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Make sure you keep all the old parts - they may come in handy!

Regards,

Art S.

25. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    No I can't make it but will next year if another one is held. Thanks for asking.