360 spider or 360 modena? | FerrariChat

360 spider or 360 modena?

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerrariFreak85, Oct 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFreak85

Oct 2, 2007
    Larkspur, California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Lee
    Which do you guys think is more reasonable?

2. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What do you mean by "more reasonable"?

3. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My research indicates that the Spider is commanding $20k-$30k more than the Modena. But I love the look of the Spider and want one!

4. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    More reasonable? You'll need to elaborate.

Modena = For drivers
    Spider = For posers

KC360 FL likes this.
  5. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ouch. For those of us who are not blessed with 12 month driving years, the pleasure of experiencing the open roads and sunny skies makes the Spider a great choice. But, to each their own!

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Then get a Spider. Or is this another 'Let's rationalize a Ferrari purchase' thread... :rolleyes:

If it's a weekend fun car, I'd always go for the open car. (Actually I'd go for a 250GT Spyder California, but the 360 is more feasible...)

If you're parking it at the airport, driving in bad weather or running it on the track, the coupe might be the right move.

one4torque likes this.
  7. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And fill out your profile before some idiot comes along and asks you to fill out your profile.

LorenzoR and one4torque like this.
  8. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Bingo.

9. FerrariFreak85

Oct 2, 2007
    Larkspur, California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Lee
    Sorry, I should have clarified that.
    Reasonable like a car that would be babied and not taken to the race course.
    Just something used more to show-off and enjoy having compared to putting it to its full potential.

10. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In that sense it is more of a personal decision, as one is not better than the other. If you like convertibles, than the spider is more practical. If you don't like open top cars, than the coupe is better. Neither had more horsepower than the other. You could save yourself a good amount of money by buying the coupe, which could make it more practical.

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .......lol....:p :p :p.......lol

12. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Spider then. As I said, for posers!

Lagunascorpio, KC360 FL and Hypek9 like this.
  13. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Neither are we blessed with 12 month driving years here in the UK :-(

I just don't like any convertibles. You feel vulnerable, especially in city centres, dust/dirt/bird poo spoils the interior and everyone can see your bald patch.....now that's just not cool :). Add to this being (wrongly) described as a namby-pamby hairdresser/gay rights activist who doesn't have the need for a "drivers" car. Coupe/hard top anyday.

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

All depends mate!! :):)

Id go with a coupe, but thats just me. :):)

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Noooooooo.............;);) Lol! :D:D

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, you don't want a Ferrari. You want a tiptronic Porsche or a Lamborghini. The best way to baby a Ferrari is to drive the hell out of it. Otherwise you'll have all sorts of problems and the only people to whom you'll be "showing off" your Ferrari will be the service techs at your local dealer.

one4torque likes this.
  17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You are not a hairdresser by any chance are you? :D:D:D

18. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    but what is your are handsome and have a great head of hair?

19. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It's really quite simple.

If you prefer a convertible, the spider is more reasonable

If you prefer a hardtop, the coupe is more reasonable.

one4torque likes this.
  20. 360alldaylong

360alldaylong Rookie

Oct 2, 2007
    In my oppinion, people who are only keeping the car for a while and don't plan to have it in their garage forever would be better off with the Spider. I have one my self, but I also had the modena. I personally think that the modena is better for racing. But if your not going to have a car like that for long then your not going to go racing in it. I think the 360 is nice for going to car shows and for just simply cruising around. So in my oppinion, the Spider is better for keeping for a short time.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a bad point - I've had a few convertibles and you do have the world staring at the back of your head. And it is a b!tch to keep the interior clean. On the track, it would be less safe in the event of a roll (although if you're rolling a 360 you're doing some pretty extreme and unskilled driving...)

On the 246/308/328/348/355 run, the choice is easier, because there's a targa model that gives you a bit of privacy, is more secure and doesn't have an expensive power top to break.

I disagree about drop-tops being for 'hairdresser/gay rights activists'. The Daytona Spyder, 250 GT California Spyder, Maserati Ghibli Spyder, etc., are some of the most desirable Italian cars ever made, period. (Even in the Porsche world, the icon is the original Speedster -- you can buy 10 decent 356 coupes for the price of one decent Speedster.) And I believe most of Ferrari's cars from the early years (212, 166, et al) were roadsters only, with the hard tops coming in with the touring/road cars, so you would have to argue somehow that these weren't "drivers' cars".

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What you say is true. I never got into convertibles because where I live there are few days when top-down makes any sense. It is either too hot or too cold most of the time. Frankly, I just don't like the lines of a convertible or spyder with the top up. Just me.

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I thought Mount Isa was getting a local hairdresser this year - no more flying to California to get coiffed?

You'd be amazed at how all these cars are attention magnets. It sounds odd to say before you've owned one, but unless you're a complete attention whore I think you'll find that even a dark grey Ferrari coupe stands out in a world of ugly BMWs, bland Japanese Camry-clones, SUVS and minivans.

I bought a black metallic Ferrari, and the last thing I worry about is attracting more attention.

Also, with a 360 you'll never have it anywhere near its potential (coupe or Spider) unless you're on a track.

24. Lucrob

Lucrob Rookie

Oct 3, 2007
    The 02 Spyder I have showed signs of frame flex in the door sills. When I opened the door of my used car, I could see on the threshold plate where the door seal moves against it causing the plate to show scuff marks, that wasn't the case with the 00 coupe I had before it. You can feel it too on the road, especial when it matters the least as you're going over a hump at an angle. At speed though it really makes little difference, not that you can't feel it, but on the road how hard do you really want to push it. Can you afford to punish the Modena on the track on a regular basis? That's not to say I don't hustle it around to where my passengers never close their eyes.
    Top down driving is how sports cars began, and it is still a glorious experience, I never drive mine with the top up - S Cal - regardless of the temp or sunlight. I only put the top up when it in the garage to keep the back window flat. I didn't get it to show off; I wish I could remain anonymous when I drive, too many people know me in my town and it's bad for business to let them see I have some disposable income - jealousy.

Get what you want from a preference stand point and forget about the technical issues, the difference is too small to concern yourself with for road use. At the same time I would not want to drive the spyder competitively with the small roll bar that Ferrari provides. The cost difference is also a mute point for most, the price of entry is greater, but the returns at exist time are also greater, so you'll get the difference back too.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004