Full burn down of a 996 TT | FerrariChat

Full burn down of a 996 TT

Discussion in '348/355' started by Doug Kless, Sep 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Kless

Doug Kless Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Thought the group might like to see a couple of things. First, we had a great turn out at our "Ferraris at the Village" today. Secondly, our friend with his 996TT left the track @ Kershaw yesterday and about five miles out, his power steering pump let go and sprayed the hot turbo's..... Wait t'il you see the pic.'s.

Look in the NC & SC thread.

Cheers,

DK

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.

Now buy him an automatic engine bay fire extinguisher as a get well present...

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

x2!! Hope he didnt get hurt mate! :eek::eek:

4. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia
    I am amazed as to how many 996 turbos this has happened to....

5. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I have never heard of this problem. How common is it for a Porsche Twin Turbo to catch fire? Is it usually after a track event?

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh man!

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1, I've owned one for 2 1/2 years and followed them closely for a year before that and this was the first I've heard of one.....

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The first thread WAS talking about the same incident with Mambo Dave's car.

Chuck's fire was due to faulty wiring in the dash.....could happen with any car.

OK, two in 3 1/2 years........how about comparing to the 2 per month in Ferrari-land?

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    3. The first thread is another 996 owner telling MamboDave about his/her car fire. All 3 996 fires are from this year.

Those are just the 3 that I know about. I don't follow the 996's, so it's barely more than coincidence that I know about those 3. If there are more, I couldn't say.

Probably still less frequent than Ferrari car fires. I wouldn't argue otherwise without stats, and I don't have the stats...but you seem to be taking this personally.

I'd prefer to not make it personal, and I'd prefer that you protect yourself from fire in *whatever* car you choose to drive.

Automatic engine bay fire extinguishers are **CHEAP**. I got mine from West Marine for ~~ $130 each.

You really want **automatic* fire extinguishers because the whole point is to give you more time to safely exit your car, not for you to spend more time inside your cockpit arming and activating a fire supression system...

...but that being said, even a manual or electric system is better than nothing. For whatever reason, most people will spend more money, sooner, on floor mats, stereos, mufflers, and wheels than on life-saving fire extinguishers.

So, sorry if I offended you or the Porsche marque. That wasn't my intention or preference.

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    How much longer do we have to wait?

12. Doug Kless

Doug Kless Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
  13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    YEEOW!!

That was one crispy critter.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Saying "been there done that" doesn't create a data point......guy could have caused a fire by dropping a cancer stick for all we know.

I'm not taking anything personally, but the rate by which Ferraris catch on fire is really alarming to us prospective buyers who might have our kids in the car sometimes. If there was a similar issue with Porsche Turbos, I'd be equally alarmed.......thank goodness there isn't.

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The danger there is that a good record can create a false sense of security. Cars aren't perfect. Cars have wear items. Cars are subject to external stresses and events.

So a particular make with a good track record for handling internal stresses could convince many owners to forego a $130 automatic engine bay fire extinguisher. That way they can buy new floormats, or CD's, or a new stereo, or whatever, instead.

Same thing with a boat. Your model may have a great track record, but lots of things can happen when you are under way that are independent of great engineering and assembly.

Whether with exotics or boats or aircraft, we're talking about high performance, gasoline-burning vehicles (typically). Well, it just makes sense to me to have automatic fire extinguishers in all such beasts...especially if you are going to have your kids in them.