OK, 360 owners....How Much do you Really Pay for Maintenance? | FerrariChat

OK, 360 owners....How Much do you Really Pay for Maintenance?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Shark01, Oct 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm equally torn between a 355 and 360. I have a pretty good handle on 355 maintenance, but all I've heard about 360s are they are supposedly more reliable.......but hard data is hard to come by. Can you give me an idea on a $ per mile or annual average?

Thanks!

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If you drive the car a lot, the cost per mile is extremely low. Of course I don't have hard numbers though. I've only owned mine for 1K miles, so I haven't spent a penny yet in maintenance.

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Too many variables without knowing year, milage and service history. And not to be rude however, if your budget is that restricted that you require an actual dollar amount p/mi. you may want to consider another car.

4. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex

360's are definetly more reliable. Less maintainance involved than a 355. Overall, the key is to have a good honest ferrari mechanic that won't bend you over every time your fcar needs something.

5. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    Buy the 360. Night and day in updates. 5K miles into my wifes 04 360 and $325 for an oil change. That is it. By the way, people change their oil way to often.

6. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    +1. I'm on the 5k mile oil plan. There is no reason for synthetic oil to be changed every 3k, especially when it's being used in a 12 quart oil system. I think realistically that even 5k is WAY too soon.

7. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter

I agree, the only reason for the 5K change is that I have no idea when the first one was done. From here it is every 10 to 12K just like the Porsche or AMG call for.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've owned both the 355 and 360. I would say the 360 is a better built car, while the 355 is perhaps a touch more fun to drive around town. Both great cars.

The 355 (in my experience) required a lot more attention. On my 355 (1997), I had to replace the headers due to that burn through problem with the injector. Actually, if I recall correctly, I had one replaced and the other had to be re-welded. I also ended up having to have both CAT ECU's replaced. The rear shock was loose and had to be tightened. The dead pedal fell off and I had to re-glue it on. A few other problems along the way as well. The big one is having to drop the motor to do the belt, which can be costly as well as a major pain.

On the 360, there are also issues with the early years. I've fixed those on my cars, but they did require some attention and work. However, beyond that, the car has been great. I feel like the 360 is a more sturdy car as well. Compared to the 355, it's built like a tank. The belt can be done via the panel in the back, without having to drop the motor. This saves quite a bit of money. However, the clutch on the 360 is more difficult than on the 355. If I recall correctly, the clutch on the 355 is pretty straight forward, while on the 360 is requires a bit more work.

If I could only have one car, as much as I loved the 355, I would take the 360 hands down.

Ray

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I can afford to put $10k into a maintenance slush fund and keep it up. The issue is given the price difference between the two......and knowing they are actually pretty similar performance wise, which car represents the most value?

I hope I'm NEVER too wealthy to make a purchase of this magnitude and not take the time to analyze the pros and cons and decide which car would lead to the best ownership experience. I love cars.......

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

There's a man who hangs onto his money! :)

Ray

11. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Did you test drive both models? I test drove multiples of each at different dealers before buying my 360. While the performance on paper doesn't seem to differ by much, the feel of the 360 was startlingly better in my opinion.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 360 feels faster when you drive it because it has more low end torque. However, it's not all that much faster on the road. I've raced my friend (tonyc) when he had his 355 and I had my 360. His 355 did a pretty decent job keeping up with me.

Ray

13. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Ray,

I don't doubt what you are saying for a straight line drag race. My point was that there is more to selecting a car than just what one reads about regarding performance. Personal preference, intended use, and other performance factors play a key role as well. The latest Forza has a comparison of the V8 cars including the differences in lap time on a road coarse (Fiorano, as I recall) for several models. Each model brought good improvements that might not be obvious in straight 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4mi times. As another data point, I also test drove a C6 Vette at the time. By many metrics it was a faster car and certainly far cheaper, nonetheless the 360 was the car of choice IMHO - absolutely no contest in the level of pleasure that it provided. I encourage Shark01 to test drive both the 355 and the 360 as part of the decision process and see which one he prefers for the money. In my case, I decided that the 360 was worth the large price difference over the 355 but I'm sure there are some others that would disagree.

When test driving, not all dealers have the luxury of a good stretch of road for a proper road test. My advice is to find one that will let you drive the cars on a nice empty road.

As far as maintenance goes, the 360 has been very reliable but repairs and aftermarket items are very expensive. My past experience was in the 348/Mondial-T world. Tires, which I seem to go through frequently, took a big jump in price when I moved to the sizes for the 360. Chipping the engine is more expensive because the prior cars could benefit from the pricing of the TPS chips. Exhaust ... well, I made my own custom exhaust for the Mondial-t using a pair of Borla sport mufflers, so I guess that isn't a good comparison. For the 360 I got lazy and went with a Tubi though I don't think it is as freeflowing. I can't say what the comparison would be for a 355. In spite of it all, I love my 360.

To the original poster: Regardless of which one you decide on, make sure it is one you enjoy, and best of luck with it.

Lou

14. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I just bought a 360 today and gave back my 308 gts carbuerator.
    The 360 is an excellent car very easy to drive(even a women can take it for a spin)
    While I admit the 308 carbuerator seems more rough more Ferrari! I think the 360 is more eye appealing, but the 308 is more for an experience which is under estimated by non owners!
    The 308 seems faster because its more a rough ride and you really feel and hear the car.The 360 seems a easy goer even though its quite faster,its built so good that you cannot feel the real speed and all because it seems like a very well built coppit.It seems very big and comfortable and hammers it before you get to notice it! the 308 you notice it before you hammer it!

Hope you understood this ,but I am just a little tired today and with a hell of a toothache!
    I think I did not get to enjoy my 360 yet!
    Let you know later on!

355 IS A GOOD DEAL FOR PRICE,its a really good Ferrari which is getting neglected cause to many modenas on market place! 355 is one of my favorites but never owned one cause I owned two 348s and they seemed too close in looks! 355 is better looking though.After 348 ownership I stuck to my 308 carb which was more exciting to me!

Was going to buy a BB but I went for the low mile modena today

Take care dudes!

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I haven't driven either (or any Ferrari for that matter). With the relative shortage of cars outside SoCal (I'm in Houston Tx), it seems like you better have your mind made up what you want because test drives will be few if any. Both cars look great, both perform well, it seems to come down to the higher initial 360 cost vs. any added maintenance of a 355.

We are 14-15 posts in, and still waiting for the first hard dollar maintenance expenditure. This goes to the root of the 355 guys' argument of people say the 360 is more reliable but the supporting data is lacking.

16. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    With all the talk of "360s are more reliable than 355", how do we know this isn't just a case of newer cars are typically going to have less issues.
    Not 100% of the time, but a pretty good rule of thumb.

Several years back when the 355s were just a few years old (equivalent to 360s today), were they also thought to be "much more reliable than the 348s and I haven't done anything to my 355 so far"?

17. 360RossoFiorano

360RossoFiorano Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2006
    Palmetto Bay, FL
    "So how much do you really pay for maintenance"

I took my 02 360 to the local dealer today for the 2 year service, flush all fluids, oil change, replace air filters, and so on and so on.

$2,200.00 + tax..... OUCH!!!

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Standard service prices are pretty easy to come by, its the repair of broken things or replacement of wear items and how long did they last that I'm trying to investigate.

Of course, thats where the $X per mile formulas come in handy, all these things can be wrapped up as costs of ownership. Now this isn't a discussion point for just Ferrari vs. Ferrari......I'm trying to ask the same questions in Lambo world where the only thing I'm getting is "they are WAY more reliable than any Ferrari" but again, few if any hard data points.

I agree with Zippy, that the 355 just in the past 2-3 years has become a whipping boy for maintenance costs that used to be reserved for the 348. Now that the early 360s are approaching that same age range the 355 was at 3 years ago (earliest car being 8 yrs old) is the cost of ownership for a 360 going to escalate dramatically?

19. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #19 VTChris, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Check out this site....very informative.
    So informative, that other "Ferrari Service shops" around the country use EFS information word for word on their website:

But we know who the originator is :)

www.EugeniosFerrariService.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Find a good independent. I paid $2675 but mine included all of the above and 4 new OEM Michelin Pilot Sport tires mounted and balanced. The service itself, without the tires, was just over $1200.

21. 360RossoFiorano

360RossoFiorano Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2006
    Palmetto Bay, FL
    TRUST ME I’VE LOOKED!!!!

Unfortunately the independent Ferrari shop in this area closed up a couple of months ago, miss them…..

http://www.maranelloracingcars.com/

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would be questioning the dealer why they charge so much. I had the 2 year service done on my 430 which included engine oil, trans oil, radiator flush, brake fluid, power steering fluid plus air filters and ac filter plus ac charge. Labor was 5 hours, parts and fluids 490. The total charge was 1150. (by an authorized dealer) I can't imagine why a 360 would be so much more.

Dave

23. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    The 355 is an engine out, so right there you'd save with the 360.
    But overall from friends that have owned both, the 360 is the way to go.
    Now on looks alone, I give the 355 the nod.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Of course not a single 360 owner has responded with hard data.......so who knows?

25. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Shark,
    This topic has been covered many times with "hard" figures, try a search or call a Ferrari dealer and ask the the costs for service.

The 360 for a major belt service is roughly $1500, this every 3-5 years. New requirments say every 3 years.
    You need to change tensioners and pulleys and bearings every 6 years with a belt service, roughly $3k.
    Oil change, every year or 4k or 5k miles, roughly $150, hour labor and parts, 12 quarts of oil, I think.
    Complete fluid change, $800, brakes, oil, radiator, filters.
    Brakes, Portefields cost $160, plus hour labor.

Don't know what else you want, but these are some of the things you will need to do in a 3 year span.

A 355 will cost $6k and up for any belt service period. However, they are a better looking car.

Robert