360 CS or 430? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 CS or 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by sezme, Sep 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    really tough choice......given the keys, id opt for the 360CS with the Italian stripes, its just too special.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    actually, to my ear the 430 sounds better than the CS and i have driven the CS on multiple occassions and have heard it inside and out...btw, they are both great cars, withthe 430 a better everyday car with a better chassis and more torque and power and better interior and ergonomics, but the CS is more rare and more pure a sports car.....

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if the CS came with a manual i would have been all over it by now, but as good as the f1 is, for fun driving, nothing beats a manual for me..........

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have pondered this question as well and I think it is a good one. I opted for the 430 due to the fact I wanted an open top car. A 430 is a lot faster than a normal 360 and I don't think it's much faster than a CS if any. I just went for the comfort. A CS is one heck of a good looking car.

5. instantkarma

instantkarma Rookie

Apr 14, 2007
    Oh boy, another CS vs. 430 thread.

What is this, like the 16th one? And they're all the same.

Only thing missing this time is Gary's "it's the tires" comment. :)

6. Weaver

Weaver Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Midwest
    I have both a 430 and CS. I will never sell the CS. It IS 10x better than the 430. The exhaust note is simply perfect....there is no comparison....especially when compared to the 430 (with tubes pulled). The car out accelerates, out handles, out shines the 430 in almost every way. I bought the 430 so I could run errands and still enjoy a Ferrari. I want to prolong the pleasure with the CS as long as possible!

CS owners are very passionate about these cars for a reason. All the comments about the car being raw, etc. to me aren't exactly accurate. I find the CS more comfortable than the 430. My wife doesn't though.

7. Weaver

Weaver Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Midwest
    by the way.....it's not a 360CS....it's a Challenge Stradale!

8. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    you are kidding right??? what 430 are you driving? in a straight line there is absolutely no comparison. The 430 will pull away easily.

9. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    Now this post is getting more interesting all the time if your claims are correct! I've been involved in some highly spirited driving in my CS with a 430 Spider on my tail, and vice versa, up long mountain roads with torturous turns. I've found what several others have observed. I can go into the torturous turns faster in my CS than can the 430. I attribute that to lighter weight, more nimble, and the ceramic brakes. I have Michelin PS2s btw, not the stickier Corsas, so tires arn't a differentiating factor. And, and I can exit torturous turns considerably faster. But very quickly the 430 will narrow the gap and be on my butt. Perhaps with Launch Control on the CS it will out-accelerate a 430 up to, say, 40 mph, but after that the 430 is going to overtake at 60, 100, and the 1/4 mile.

10. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    This thread is awesome. I drive my 430 Coupe every day. I have over 11K miles on it in 9 months. It's th eperfect car for me.
    I think it's all about what turns YOU on. That being said. I think that the CS is a more special car and a meaner car. I still would rather own my 430. It just has it all for me. I drive on the street in Los Angeles. The F1 is a dream, Im comfortable, I even put an after market cup holder in!! I believe in enjoying my tim ein the car. For the thrill ride scary as hell driving a drive my Shelby GT500 with 560 HP. It shakes, slides around and scares the crap out of me at least once a drive. For my F car I want a sophisticated machine with the latest technology. That's my vibe. Did I say that Im living a car lovers dream??

11. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My 550 daily driver for 2.5 years and I would disagree with you. Stop/go, highway, hot/cold, rain/snow(!), everything. Outstanding daily driver. - Tim

12. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006

Again personal opinion. I think stock 360 sounds ALOT better then the 430. Much higher screaming sound, it´s fantastic(this is Euro cars, huge diff as I understand). The only Ferrari apart from the FXX that sounds better then a CS is a 360 Challenge car. Stand and listen to them downshifting and accelerating on a track and it´s obvious to everyone. 430 challenge sounds ok, not more. I guess the F50 GT sounds better as well, never heard it irl though =)

13. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    CS alllllllllllllllllllllll the way!!!!!!!!

14. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    So I guess the Formula 1 cars, endurance and the classics don't exist Ferraris anymore, lol.

15. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    I haven´t heard all Ferraris. F1 cars sounds loud, VERY loud not beautiful at all. Even driving them with helmet and earplugs is LOUD.

16. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    I have owned both and enjoyed my experience in the CS much more. Car feels more visceral and more what a ferrari should be. Although its true the 430 has more power, I didnt get the same "Kick" out of driving it as I did in my TDF blue CS. :)
    I wish In knew who has my old car it was TDF/ curio with xl sport seats///
    ///MK

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    And I wonder how does one feel after a race, after a 3 hour drive doing 90mph in a 328 I used to owned, one does feel the effects of the sweet cacophony. You don't get that with the new cars, but I wonder about a CS.

18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I've had both a manual and an F1 430 spider in the last year and a half. Both are gone............the CS is still in the garage. For me..........someone here said it best............its just more "special". Its what I had always envisioned a Ferrari should drive and sound like. The fact that there are not that many here in the States is just a bonus!

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Wise choices!

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    You see, I would like to think like you and buy a CS which is the model my heart goes out to. But why don't I go after this option is something that I have yet to figure out. Thoughts like the next ones come to mind. Did you buy both cars without paying over sticker? And if so, the dealer was able to sell you two cars so fast one after the other, so what about a waiting list then? Didn't you just buy to turn these cars over, to make some extra cash and the dealer knew they would benefit promply after? Because If I was in the situation above, then I would do just that and keep the CS, but I'm not. My dealer wont sell me another F430 that easily as there is a waiting list. By the way your CS is looking really hot at your profile.

21. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Simply not comparable.

It is like saying that you would take a 599 over an F40.

the 430 is a very good easy to drive sports car. It has creature comforts and enough electronics to make everyone look like a good driver.

The CS is a legend in the making....

At Dijon: 430 CHALLENGE: 1 min 29

CS (on slicks) 1 min 31

Porsche GT2 1 min 32.8

F430 (on slicks) 1 min 33.8

(Don't even ask how slow it was on road tyres...........!)

22. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    But thats just it Peter. I believe some people would take a 599 over an F40! Nothing wrong with that at all if thats their preference. Personally I'm not one of them.

Thanks Test. The 430 is an amazing all around Ferrari don't get me wrong. But for the limited amount of time I have to drive these cars...........I want something "raw" and "visceral".............something I know I wouldn't/couldn't drive on a day in day out basis.

23. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Here's something I wrote in an earlier thread on this subject...

Kind of like losing the "charm". Why do some people prefer homes built in the 20s and 30s to newer homes? There's just more character. That's how I feel about the 993 (upright windshield, window frames, big gauges, small, compact, simple) vs the 996. The CS is another example. It has character unlike the newer cars. I noticed that the first time I sat in one and just drove it 10 feet. There was something different about this car. Maybe it was the carbon doors, bare floors, no insulation, noises, stiffeness. It was just very different. I like different. It seems other people do also.

BTW, the CS didn't tank when the 430 came out, as many predicted it would. A good CS is harder to get than a good 430. Some people even like that also. The harder it is to get and the less people who have it, the more they want it. Remember the CS is different from the other Ferrari variants. It's the first "Challenge Stradale". Nearly everyone recognizes it, especially with the stripe.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    It is the on Challenge Stradale, the new car is a 430 Scuderia just like there was a 348 Speciale and a 355 Fiorano.

25. m3forlife

m3forlife Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Challenge Stradale, a true masterpiece.