Is Ferrari heading towards the bad old days? | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari heading towards the bad old days?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Anthony_Ferrari, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I've read a few articles recently about what's going on at Ferrari. There are worrying things happening:

1) The circumstances surrounding Michael's departure - did he jump or was he pushed?

2) Stepneygate. Why was Stepney, a previously loyal and valued team member, tempted to betray Ferrari?

3) At Fuji how did Ferrari become the only team on the wrong tyres. I knew they were supposed to be on full wets, why didn't they?

4) There is talk of a 'night of the long knives' when Luca di Montezemolo will get rid of Jean Todt and probably a few others as he wants Ferrari to be 'more Italian'.

Here's a section from an interesting article by Dr Mike Lawrence. The whole article can be found here: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php?fes_art_id=33031 Earlier in the article Mike criticises Max Mosley and praises all things Italian. Here's a quote:
    Is he right?

My view: This year Ferrari have built a great car. I think the team misses Ross Brawn a great deal. Schumacher and Brawn were an awesome team as Ross would see an opportunity and Michael would have the ability to take full advantage of it. Ferrari need to get more organised again and they need somebody at the top to earn respect and keep control.
    I haven't been to an F1 race for a couple of years and I am no longer in contact with any of the Ferrari team. The thing that always impressed me when I did used to spend time with them was their great love and respect for Schumacher. They would do anything for him as they knew he'd do the same for them. I can't help but feel they will be slightly less motivated by Kimi. Kimi is a great driver. Michael was a great driver and a great leader.

Can Ferrari be successful in the next 5 years?

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ferrari will pick themselves up and be champions next year. Kimi has finally woken up and got his game together, Massa has improved a lot since last year.

right now, they have to be fast....and reliable.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1..Got the speed, just the need machina to keep working. I think they will be fine.

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian

I hope they do have a great car next year, but if the rumours of internal strife are true that's not going to be helpful, to put it mildly.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IMO Ross Brawn is the man to steady the ship..

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It will take Brit!! His return can't be soon enough!

7. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +1
    Ferrari would have had coped with Michael or Ross leaving, but not both at the same time. Hope he comes back soon.

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    no

9. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Phew! Thanks for that. You've put my mind at rest. ;)

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    always glad to help

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Seems to me like we are returning to the Machiavellian Ferrari of the pre-Todt years.

The team really needs Ross Brawn back.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    1) He jumped because LdM put Kimi next to him.

2) Didn't get the promotion he expected. But before we blame management: He was a shady character for years. Did a lot of bad things, the warning signs always were there. He even stole $$$ from his fellow mechanics. A bad apple basically, that should have been sacked a while ago.

3) Attempt to gain an advantage or complete incompetence. You pick.

4) Indeed. Not sure the goal is to be more Italian. LdM's goal is the long term future of Ferrari, something Todt lost sight of with his adoration for MS. Todt should give up the F1 team and run the cars biz solely, something he is very good at.

Maybe, maybe not. See 3) above. Either way a very bad decision from the pitwall. The buck stops at Todt.

Yes

13. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    My hope is the former, they appear to be claiming the latter.

My gut feeling is that the whole atmosphere at Maranello is turning sour. People are jockeying for position and looking out for their own needs ahead of the teams as they try to create the 'new order'. I think it will take a while to all shake out.

14. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    +1, that's why they need Brawn back.

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think that is precisely what's going on. Not a surprise really: The departure of the dream team left a power vacuum.

But it could all be solved over the winter: If LdM gets his wish (why shouldn't he, he is the boss after all), Todt hands the F1 team over to Brawn. Brawn takes it from there. Kimi has figured out the new team and tires and could be fighting for the title next year. The renaissance could happen. But we need Brawn.

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It does seem like F might be a bit too full of themselves, creating a lot of power struggles. IMO it stems from the top and LDM's hubris is ruffling the feathers of some of the more established people and possibly confusing the newer faces. They all need to get on the same page or this will persist.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Absolutely, I hope Brawn comes back and Todt runs the other side.

18. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I hate to say it, but Luca is just not filling the shoes, IMHO. A little too full of himself, and not actually being the man.

That quotation about Lewis car being full of Ferrari is full of something, if you catch my meaning.

All he would have had to do was keep it shut and let mr Dennis be the dirtbag.

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Very good point as well James, both him and Todt pulled the same crap on the Michelin Tire Fiasco in 03 as well. Basically they said that if Ferrari lost either the WCC or the WDC to a Michelin Runner they would appeal to the WSMC (FIA).

20. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Geeze guys, they're still running second (first after the ruling). I would hardly say they're going back to the bad days. They'll be fine.

21. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I have to agree with that. There was no need for any comment from Ferrari, they were seen as the good guys and keeping quiet would probably have ensured that it stayed that way.

Whatever his culpability in the 'spying' affair RD has the right idea when it comes to handling the press - say as little as possible. It's a bit unfortunate that LH hasn't learned that much from his boss. Until a few weeks ago he hadn't put a foot wrong in that respect, it was pretty impressive for such a young guy, but recently he has said things he would have been a lot better not to have said. Presumably he felt he was putting his side of the story and just responding to FA, but it hasn't done him any favours with the fans.