355 Heater Problem | FerrariChat

355 Heater Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mpodgor, Jan 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    I have a 99 f355. I get constant full heat no matter where the temp control is set. The air conditioning works but doesn't get very cold due to the fact it's competing with the heat. I replaced the Control module in the center console. No change. All fuses are good. It's like the heat is stuck at full. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is a heater valve in the front compartment that controls the flow of coolant to the heater core. The valve is probably bad. If it is like the valve used on the ealier cars, the rubber diaphragm tears, and repair kit is available from BMW or MBZ.

The valve is powered closed, so if there is a loss of power it will go to full hot.

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    The stepper motor controlls the valve. This goes wrong and is made by Bosh. ferrari charge about £400 UK, BUT the part is also a SAAB part at only £80:D I got one last month. If ya need the SAAB part number PM me and i will give it;)

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why not post the number for all?

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #5 No Doubt, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hey Chaa, it's the same on the 348 as on the 355.

The Heater Control Valve that causes the E5 error code is supposed to be $1,000 new from Ferrari ($700+ new at EuroSpares). It is made up of two removable components: a small electric motor and a plastic valve.

You can buy the whole unit, or you can buy half of the unit and snap the two parts together.

The silver/metal electric motor on top of the (pictured below) two-part heater-control-valve is Bosch part #0 390 721 006, which is the Saab 9000 P/N 9625435 at $139.00 (always good to be able to walk into a local Saab dealership for parts when you don't have a Ferrari dealership in town). It's also available on-line for 73 Euros: http://www.pezzidiricambio.com/select_e.asp?ID=021&Mc=BOSCH&Muovi=3

The black plastic valve second half of the above (pencil is touching it in picture) costs $11 new and typically fixes this error code and underlying problem: http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/quote.jsp?make=VW&year=1992&product=R3020-17778&application=000187784&part=Heater%20Valve&category=All&dp=false

FYI: the Ferrari part number for the two E5 parts combined is: 63306400 (#8 in diagram below)

Take apart the valve and it should correctly show 5 Ohms resistance when closed. But bad ones will go to infinity.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Is that the replacement (VW) valve in the picture? It appears it requires a minor amount of modding in order to fit. From what I can see, one would need a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to trim that one portion of the plastic off, then drill two holes and also bend the metal lever (and perhaps trim the lever in length also).

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Because i did not want to upset any suppliers on here that's all. They can be a funny bunch of buggers :D :D
    The SAAB part does not come with the black plastic warter hose base but just the motor. One can also use a VW section/valve at the bottom of the stepper motpr. Very little mods are needed. Though the SAAB stepper motor has a longer spindel at the bottom. But this can be modded no probs. I will post a picture of the brand new not yet fitted SAAB part tomorrow so you can compare.

8. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Dear Mpodgor,

Did you perform this repair? I've got the exact same problem.
    Was it difficult to repair, and,.... how did you get to the valve?

Dino
    San Diego

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You know guys if ya in a hot country and only have heat in the car. If its going to take you some time in sourcing a new stepper motor then here is a quick fix until ya motor arrives.
    Because the lower part of the motor is only a very basic valve. Take the motor of it and manually close the valve by hand by twisting the top of it. How this valve works is by allowing or not allowing hot water into the heater matrix. When the valve is closed then no hot water will enter, thus allowing only the cold air from the aircon system to blow cold. So if one manually closes the valve then you will only get cold air....bingo!!:D
    But if its your valve that has broken then another simple temporary fix if to use a small pair of long nose mole grips to clamp the water flow on the water hose that goes into and out of the valve....bingo!!! cold air!!! You must use very stront tape or cable ties to secure the grips to stop them from moving about.

Illyria likes this.
  10. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #10 johan6504, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just changed the heater-control-valve on my 355 with the Saab 9000 P/N 9625435. Since this thread lacked a few pictures I took these.

1 Shows the difference of the longer spindle on the SAAB unit
    2 This is how I cut it to right length; I would use a power tool for this since the heat probably would destroy the interior.
    3 and 4 New motor mounted, no problem
    5 and 6 Everything back in place
    7 GM part number, maybe useful for you guys in US since SAAB is GM. I live just 1 hour drive from the SAAB factory so no problem finding this part :)

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thank you Johan!

12. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Excellent job Johan....very much appreciate you sharing the info.....can save big $$$ for this repair

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OUTSTANDING Johan!!!!!!!!

Fantastic update!

14. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Thanks guys!
    Just got to give some back after all the great money saving tips I have gotten over the last couple of years :)

Cole_ve likes this.
  15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    And give back you did.

This is what makes this sight so great. All of us working together sharing information to make owning these cars less expensive.

Thanks again.

Cole_ve and Illyria like this.
  16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  17. power Z

power Z Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Hi Guys ,

my first post....
    Props to Johan and No Doubt. Great Jobs.

CHeers!

18. veryfast355

veryfast355 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    gt neck long island
    Full Name:
    michael c
    great thread ! where on the schematic is the recirculator flap that seems to break so often?

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  20. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Before you change the heater valve, chech the HVAC ecu mounted on the right side firewall.I had the same problem;hot air no matter whether the heat or AC was on or off. Tested the valve and it worked fine,there was no signal going to the valve to close it. HVAC ecu was bad.Dealer wanted 1000.oo for a new one. Got a used one from www.specializeditalianrecycling.com. They are located in Rancho Cordoova, Ca 95742.Works fine and has a 90 day warranty for the cost of 300.00.

21. tomwestaway

tomwestaway Rookie

Sep 4, 2006
    Northamptonshire
    Full Name:
    Tom Westaway
    PLease could you yet me know the part number I have the same problem.

22. tom_mar

tom_mar Rookie

Jun 10, 2009
    Quick Quistion on this. How do you stop the coolant from coming out the tube once the valve is off (de-pressurize coolent system by taking coolant tank cap off?) and then once everything is back in place do you have to bleed the coolant system?

Cheers

Tom

23. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Buy a pipe clamp from your local motor factors, there are several types available.
    Once the valve is in place, top up the coolant,switch it to hot in the car and run the engine for a while with the cap off, adding coolant as required. Once things start to warm up, put the cap on and continue running the engine until you have hot air exiting the dash vents, and the fans have kicked in and out a couple of times. Switch it off, let it cool right down, remove the cap and check the coolant level. That should be it. It pays to check the coolant level after your first couple of runs out (after it's cooled down, of course) in case there is a little pocket of air trapped anywhere.

24. terryk

terryk Rookie

Nov 16, 2009
    Hello, this is my first writing into this board.
    My F355 GTS 95 got similar heat problem as everyone kindly described above with exllent infromation. Though I've been searching for the valve as much as I could where can I buy it in Japan, but it seems absolutely no longer available in stock.
    Could anyone please help me out the contact information of where could I buy it in the world.

Bosch part #0 390 721 006
    Saab 9000 P/N 9625435
    GM P/N 30528513

25. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The motor can be had at your local Saab dealership, and the valve can be purchased at your local VW dealership...or on-line the motor is here: http://www.importpartsspec.com/cart/show/item/253463
    and the valve is here: http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/quote.jsp?make=VW&year=1992&product=R3020-17778&application=000187784&part=Heater%20Valve&category=All&dp=false