Air Conditioner thermostat location please. | FerrariChat

Air Conditioner thermostat location please.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Red 328 GTS, Oct 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi could someone please tell me where the air conditioning thermostat is located on a RHD 328 GTS. I can here it cutting in and out within the cabin.
    I also need to know if it's a fixed or adjustable type?

Many thanks.

Bob.

2. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Wish I knew for sure, Bob, but I can only speak from experience from other cars I've done ac work on. Usually, the thermostat , I believe you mean the probe, is embedded in the fins of the evaporator, buried in the dash. Then, the temperature control module is a small square box about 12-16 inches away from that. I hope this helps , and wondering why no one else so far, has commented. Must be cuz it's Saturday night!!!

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The 328's thermostat is a capillary tube type. (I found the 3ART5 one in my car on the G.E. Industrial web page -- it's from a Coke machine. :p I guess aircon wasn't one of Enzo's priorities.)

The thermostat itself sits in the console. An ammonia filled capillary tube runs from the thermostat up under the dash, to the front (spare tire well). Under the f/g cover is the power brakes, the windscreen washer pump, and the evaporator for the aircon (in front of the passenger). The capillary tube terminates near the expansion valve for the evaporator.

As most 3x8 owners have experienced, this is not a high precision system. ;)

Mostly, it's to cut off the compressor when the evaporator nears the freezing point, to prevent ice accumulation from blocking airflow.

4. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Yup, the thermostat is in the main console right behind the knob to adjust the AC temperature.