Challenge Stradale -vs- GT3 RS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale -vs- GT3 RS

Discussion in '360/430' started by JWolf, Sep 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Slicks are around 500USD each here, I use the D3 Pirellis which are the hardest of the dry compounds, so the longest lasting. The grip differential between them and the Corsas on the CS is very big, even when they are tired. They also don't overheat like the Corsas do. I get somewhere in the 5-7 track days on a set, so 3-4 events since mostly I do 2 day events. The pads on the Challenge are cheaper than the CS, so are 920USD per axle, the CS is almost double that, so the 430S will likely have "expensive" pads. I've just replaced mine on my 430CH, but not sure how much running the car had done before I got the car on this set of pads.

I do have a set of Pirelli wets, but personally I mostly stay off the track in the wet :) I did have a very big spin at Lime Rock in the downhill in the wet in the CS and fortunately hit nothing. I'm pretty careful in the wet now, after all this is for entertainment.

Versus the Porsches I think that Ferraris in general are more expensive to track because I think they are harder on consumables than Porsches - I killed my steel rotors on my 360 on the track. The ceramics are fantastic on the CS and the Challenge and are very durable, they are just expensive when you do need to replace bits. My CS has 20K, 15 track days and has <10% worn rotors, so no fear of the 30K rotor job yet, its just the pads that are expensive.

To drive they are just different to the 911, the CS and the 430CH are both great on the track but handle like a mid-engined car, if you know what you are doing they can be slid and drifted. I'd start with the traction control on before switching it off, but I drive both with TC fully off which IMO is much better, but perhaps a little more difficult than a 911 which is all about pendulum and throttle under/oversteer.

Suspensions are adjustable, but I personally haven't fiddled yet. I have neutral base set up on the 430 and am learning it before changing setup.

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Actually they are both great cars, at 125K with some decent options, the GT3 is a tremendous buy, esp with CS still at 200K. I love both, they're pretty different, but the appeal to the same type of person. The CS is very different to a regular 360, and the GT3 is totally different to the TT.

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    dan is right. the gt3 does some things better and cheaper than a strad [like go to the track], but the strad is massively more attractive to look at and drive on the street, and is actually more comfortable there for me, as it rides better.

the strad also handles bumps much better

4. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Interestingly I find that in MA with our "special" potholes, the GT3 handles horrible stuff better than the CS, but the CS handles "normal" bumps better (particularly in corners).

5. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    certain bumps feel like wheel breakers in the strad, but come try them both on the 405 freeway between belair and newport beach, a nasty bumpy car pool lane which the strad handles with much more stability, but more noise

in the corner, no car i have EVER driven handles bumps as well as a strad, and 996 3's and 2's and 997 3's are not good at it.

6. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #56 Jack(LA), Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My take on the comparo, having owned all of the models we're talking about ....996 GT3, 997 GT3RS, CS.... they are all fun rides. I find that the RS out performs the CS across the board for my application which is primarily weekend road/street usage -- I would like, however, to have the CS gearing in the RS. ;)

I still love the CS -- it's a wonderful car and a real looker, although the RS isn't too homely!

As others have commented regarding track use, all the above machines are compromises once you get a track dedicated car and it's relatively light. For those of us on a fixed income, the Lotus Cup car does the trick. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mawu

mawu Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I will get my GT3 RS in January (it just arrived actually) and I am really looking forward to warmer weather :)

8. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    #58 DM1, Dec 24, 2007
    Gt3 RS is a little quicker on the track but I really like the F1 shifting on the CS. Also the sound of the CS on the track is unmatched by any other street/track car. Had the opportunity to take both cars out one after the other.

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As Jeremy Clarkson commented, "The Porsche is a like a plain green salad whereas the CS is a like a flying fish wasabi, its much much more complicated.".

The Porsche is so similar in performance to the CS that you've got to admit it represents great value for money. Take price out of the equation and the CS wins in my eyes on the delicious attention to detail and stunning looks.

10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Welcome aboard Riis.

Trev, great quote!
    I think the RS is pretty similar in price currently to the cs, at least stateside, unless you are connected at a dealer and even then, seems like its only $20-30k less at best. Am I mistaken about the price U.S. guys/owners?

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Wow thats insane, In the UK a brand new (0 miles) GT3 RS is available for the price of a second hand 2004 360CS with 10k miles on it. Some CS's are still selling for way more than this.

The original Porsche GT3 RS list price was around £84,320 (or in Euro zone it cost 104k Euro's list price = $149k us dollars) new which was nearly £50K LESS ($100k us less!!!) than the new price of a Ferrari 360CS.

12. mawu

mawu Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin
    List price for the GT3 RS in Germany is about 110k Euro plus VAT 19%

13. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In the US they are MSRP'ed for about $145K (obviously depending on options) and they go anywhere from $20-50K over depending on color, etc. I've seen 08's at close to $200K. You can easily get a CS for that or a bit less right now.

14. mawu

mawu Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hi,

finally I got my green GT3 RS last saturday! Unfortunately it's winter here and I can't really appreciate it...

I heard that it is possible to open the exhaust vent permanently by pulling a plug on the right hand side in the engine compartment. I don't want to test it by pulling plugs I don't know - does any one of the RS owners know anything about that?

Regards,

Martin

15. maximus136

maximus136 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    latin america
    I happen to own an f430 and a 997 gt3 very different feeling for both cars in the track the gt3 feels faster shorter and tidier, but the 430 provides a more ample experience in the road, the souns look ec. I'm pretty sure is very similar to what all of you have experienced.

16. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    you can fit 18 inch rims on a 997 GT3 with steel rotors , so trye choice is available again . as for michy cups , my club hates them , there are much better tyres out there

17. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Come on now, no BS here!

It is a beautiful day in Munich today (11 degrees C), warm up the tires and go!

18. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Go to rennlist or 6speedonline and its been discussed there..

19. :Marc

:Marc Karting

Nov 9, 2007
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Easy to do I did it on my GT3 takes 15 seconds...

20. Kurgen

Kurgen Rookie

May 10, 2006
    Surrey, UK.
    #70 Kurgen, Jan 13, 2008
    Yeah, little electrical socket. Once detached leaves the valves permanently open.. Must do mod! :D

See pic, plug is on right side of engine bay.