McQueen Lusso Copyrighted Images | FerrariChat

McQueen Lusso Copyrighted Images

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by regaliaconcours, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    To all the Fchatters out there, Please note that the images of the Lusso (4891) used by Christie's in the marketing of my(ex) car, are COPYRIGHTED images owned by me. Christie's was allowed to use them for obvious reasons. I have noticed web sites using these images to promote whatever agenda they are promoting, WITHOUT the proper permission or credit for those images. I very much appreciate all the input from everyone (even the naysayers) over the last months regarding Steve's Lusso, and I just want to protect these images and how they are being used. Thankyou, Mike Regalia, Regalia Concours Restorastions

2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    can you post them here? also you put your name on them?

3. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Christian, The early images of Steve with the car are also copyrighted images belonging to famed photographer and friend Bill Claxton, but are NOT the images in question. My images are all the new as restored images used in the marketing campaign by Christie's. I had commissioned Michael Furman to shoot the car for me, and Christie's wanted to use some of those images. Those in question are: the 3/4 right front view, the right side view, the engine compartment, and the interior. Mike

4. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Bill Claxton is an amasing Photographer all pics with Mac Queen are nice.
    i saw someone with Mac queen and his wife near the Lusso they are that one?

5. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    9219 Mira Este Court, San Diego CA 92126
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
    Mike,

will you post pictures, please? If you want I can do photo stamp on pictures for you if you'd like.

Thanks,

Carlo Rubio

6. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Christian, I know Bill personally, and he is not only a great photographer, he's a great human being as well. My images are all the ones used by Christie's other than Bill's. I don't know if you received any of Christie's direct marketing material or not, but all the NEW images are the Mike Furman shots done for me. All the new images on Christie's website are mine as well. We didn't use all that I have, only a select few that have become the known images of the car. When I get a few moments I will post these images. Regards, Mike Regalia

7. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr

Really i love the work of Mr Claxton, i remmember the one with Steve inside the XKSS in Mulholand drive, one of
    favorite photographie concerning Steve Mac Queen.

Thanks for all Mike.
    Best

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Have you sent C&Ds?

9. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    this is a difficult issue. Christies sends images in their PR campaign for their upcoming sales, which would normally be used by the press for reporting on this upcoming sale. It becomes a bit difficult when these images are copyright protected. I am also sure that you commissioned Michael Furman to make pictures in such a way that it would enhance the car's value (on a side note, that worked extremely well...). I honestly think that when you hand over the images to Christies you kind of loose your copyright... anyway, we did not use them

http://www.***************.com/car/133/Ferrari-250-GT-Lusso.html

10. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    As I stated earlier, Christies used those images with my permission and credit for very obvious reasons. They did the same with Bill Claxtons images, but, at great expense to them for that usage. Whether or not you agree with copyright protocol or not, is not my concern here. I was trying, in a nice respectful way to make all aware who care to use those images that they need my permission, and copyright credit must be given before going ahead with such useage. I can see where Christie's use may have confused some into believing that those images are fair game, but that confusion I hope will stop here and now. I very much appreciate all the great exposure the McQueen Lusso has received so far, and I would hope my posistion would not only seem fair, but reasonable as well. Regards, Mike Regalia

11. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Thank you for the kind reminder. My question is how does this fit into fair use? If used for research, shouldn't we be allowed to post them?

Peter

12. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    Am I the only one who thinks this approach is.............Have any of the pics been posted?-either way-like many of us have posted previously, the car can be seen in a number of publications, like Classic & Sports car and even a small tid-bit in the new Automobile. Definite props to the restoration effort and sale.

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I read your profile at your website. I saw a few things we have in common such as the '64 Cutlass, Doug Rose (I used to cross paths with Doug and Stephanie in the '70's when I was traveling the Drag Racing Exhibition circuit) and George Barris (car show circuit). The Lusso is a thing of beauty (I saw you did the "Twenty Grand" as well) and the photos are great in their own right. They were helpful in bringing the price it sold for. Certainly nobody should attempt to profit from these photos without your permission. How do you feel about personal use? Are they available?

14. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    Mike, I was not saying that I disagree with the copyright protocol, what I was trying to convey is that copyright will be very difficult to enforce once the images have been published on Christies' (or any other auctioneers') website. Auctioneers want publicity...and they are unlikely to go after journos who publish the pics. In short, it is a risk when you hand over the images. Our own policy is to only use auction images shot by ourselves, in order to prevent any complications such as the above...
    best regards, Pieter Melissen

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Hi, Mike. I saw your interview in the weekend Financial Times. Very nice.

Jack

16. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    As far as I know, the owner of the copyright of photo's is the photographer himself. So if you commissioned Michael Furman to shoot the car for you, then Michael Furman is the one who took the pictures so he is the owner of the copyright on the pictures. Or am I wrong on this?

Best regards

-Kevin

17. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    Mike I just want you to know that people here are a iota of people who are connected with classic motorisation and who are basing their knowledge from the information provided by the auctioners' house... from what i can remember there was note only for the older photos of the lusso that images are courtesy of William Claxton, Demont Photo Management LLC

european law states that copyrights always do belong to the author himself, there isn't such a thing as "selling" copyrights, it's just a fact of itself

18. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In the United States, copyright law generally provides that a "work for hire" commissioned by a party, when documented with the proper releases, is effective to transfer all ownership rights to the party commissioning the work (and compensating the creator therefor). The European concept of droit morale (which states that an artist or author can never entirely transfer away his ownership rights, even by contract), for the most part, is not one that exists in the United States.

Michael

19. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Thankyou Michael, At last a voice of reason! These images are copyrighted by me under United States copyright law. Any person who wishes to use them, will do with my permission ONLY. I really don't care at this point if some of you agree or like it or not, that's the way it is, period. Regards, Mike Regalia

20. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Thanks Jack, I have not seen it. I hope I was quoted correctly? Mike

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    See if you can pick up a copy. If not, PM your email address and I'll scan the article to you next week.

Jack

22. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    You would be breaking a copyright law by scanning it and sending it to him. Of course, I hope he would see the irony in that.

Peter

23. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    The world is becoming more selfish and greedy by the day!!!!!.
    Yet, all of us soon or later will be no longer on this earth and money will mean nothing. As the cliche goes, you cannot take money to the grave with you but what people will remember is the type of person you were.

24. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    :)

25. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    The person who actually takes the photos is the copyright holder unless he/she sales all the rights to the photos. If the right to the photos were sold there should be a contract that states such.