oil pressure problem on 348 | FerrariChat

oil pressure problem on 348

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by wayno31, Oct 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wayno31

wayno31 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007
    can you help i have a 348 on a 92 with 40 k on the clock its a mint car and has just under gone a full service however the car when started from cold shows approx 70 on the pressure gauge after approx 15 mins of driving the gauge nearly hits zero and the warning light flashes. i have had the readings checked by inserting a mechanical oil presure gauge to ensure it is not a faulty electrical problem, the oil filter is genuine, the oil is 10 40 shell super helix and the level is good. is this a common problem and have you any ideas what the problem may be

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Is the low reading only at idle and then it rises with revs? does it 'reset' if the engine is stopped and restarted?

3. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Might be worth trying another oil filter, it could be faulty? Other than that it might be a problem with the sending unit (edited - i see youve tried a mechanical guage !)

Not an expert on these things but sure that Steve or someone would be able to assist....it's worth seeking professional advice with a problem like this IMO..engines can be expensive :)

4. wayno31

wayno31 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007
    when the engine gets warm and you rev the engine the pressure goes down. the mechanical oil pressure readings are as follows engine cold fast idle 1100rpm oil pressure is 47 psi/ engine cold at normal idle 1000rpm oil pressure 25-35/ engine hot normal idle 1000rpm 20psi/ engine hot and under revs at 3000rpm 15 psi seems very strange/

no knocking no smoke otherwise engine is sweet as a nut/ new sender has been fitted/

not sure what car was like before service as when i bought it a service was due so did not want to tempt fait but did put the car through a pre purchase inspec and it was not picked up but i have a feeling the needle on the gauge was at about 45psi when i picked the car up and i was not sure if this was good or not

there are no kinks in the oil feed

any way thanks for your replies hope you can help further

5. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That oil pressure is way to low, the fact that it goes down when you rev it indicates that there is something very wrong, sounds very much like there is a blockage of somekind in the oil pick side of the system, so when you rev it the pump is only sucking air and not oil, therefore the drop in pressure.

6. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Do you think its worth trying a new oil filter, I know it unusual for them to fail Steve?

7. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    With problems like this it's normally a process of elimination, I would always start with the easiest and cheapest possible solutions and more on from there.I have known filters to fail so yes I would change it.

8. wayno31

wayno31 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007
    cheers will be busy this weekend by the sounds of it

9. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    where are you based ??

10. wayno31

wayno31 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007
    hampshire!!!!!

11. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    could it be a breather problem Steve???? I know normally a blocker breather can do wierd things, but it would normally result in the engine smoking too, which you have stated it doesnt. I would take it somewhere to get it checked, doesnt sound good to me TBH, sorry bud :(

12. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Oil pipe from tank to oil pump(sump) will have collapsed internally....very common.