ALERT - Water Pipe Crack | FerrariChat

ALERT - Water Pipe Crack

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jbryant, Oct 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    #1 Jbryant, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just to get the word out to check your main water line from the thermostat. There is an aluminum (#35 on Pic) tube which runs from the thermostat housing, down next to the alternator and then routes to the front of the engine then connects to another line to the radiator.

This pipe on my car was rubbing the band strap wrapped around my R/H fuel tank holding it in place. This caused a crack in the water tube. Very hard to see from the top of the engine.

I would suggest the next time you have the right wheel off, remove the fender guard and check this tube. It has taken years to rub clear through this tube like it did and I was lucky that I was near my house when it finally broke loose.

Hope this helps others.

Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Also check to make sure that the alternator pully isn't rubbing against that pipe. There's quite a few pipes out there with either JB Weld, or real welds repairing a pulley cut-thru.

When the pipe is centered between the fuel tank & the alternator pulley, there's slightly over 3mm/1/8" clearance on each side of it!!!