OK, 360 owners....How Much do you Really Pay for Maintenance? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OK, 360 owners....How Much do you Really Pay for Maintenance?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Shark01, Oct 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    I think what Shark is looking for is someone who has driven the car 10, 15, or 20k miles and how much did they pay for running costs. It is not so fantastic to drive a car 2000 miles and only need an oil change. If you look at most 20k mile cars and review the service records they often total 20-30k. Of the cars I've looked at this is the case. The ones that don't have 20k in service records need it to become a perfect car. From the cars I have seen and the one I owned, 1.5 dollars per mile is a safe bet. I'm talking about the 5k mileage range on up. You can not count the under 5k range because the car is new, of course not much is going wrong. I thought the car I owned was one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen but the build quality frankly sucked. Ash tray was already getting stickey (Ferrari can't find a coating that does not get sticky after 15 years?), switches comming loose, too many electrical issues to mention such as the fuel guage not reading correctly every time the car gets wet, ect ect. The prices are so attractive now every time I see one I want to get another one but I just can't see swapping my daily driver Porsche for such a tempermental car, even if it is much more sexy.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with $1 to $1.50 per mile to drive a 360. This assumes you drive it and don't have a garage queen. Garage queens can cost a lot more.

3. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Well I guess I can chime in a little on this one. I have a '97 355 Spider and I have had it a little over a year and a half and put ~14k miles on it.. I drive it DAILY as much as possible, I have no plans to ever sell it and 355 and 360's will never have "Huge" investment status as Ferrari just made too many. Well, only 2,600 355 spiders I guess so who knows. I have driven it in the rain, I have tracked it a few times, and SIMPLY LOVE THE CAR!!! I haven't had the major service done yet but I am not too far off.. Anyhow, I have probably spent ~$5-$6k on it over the time that I have owned it. But that includes adding Carbon fiber door handles, carbon fiber doorsills (very cool) new tires, getting rims and paint touched up etc. Really the only mechanical type issues that I have had were, replacing a bypass valve (prevous owner wired it open), my door handle rod broke, battled my check engine light for months (turned out to be some corrosion on a connector), and my slow down light (forgot the cause of that one). So in just pure mant. costs: Mechanical issues and regular maint I would say under ~$5k. Knock on wood but I have not had any problems with the headers, valve guides, or even a malfunctioning top. I am very lucky to have a great service shop here locally in Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo, and having one of only 13 Master Ferrari technicians in the WORLD working on my car.

All that said I think the 360's are great cars (once you have added an exhaust to take away the Honda accord exhaust note) and added HRE's and have the car lowered a bit. IMO go with the 355. I have all three things you buy a Ferrari for - Looks, performance, and that siren SCRRRRRRREAM at 9,000 RPM!!!

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005

Yes, this is correct. Major service costs are published and well known. Searching topics from years ago does not answer the issue of today's cost. Remember, most of these cars until very recently have been under warranty, so effective running costs were zero.

What I'm looking for is maintenance costs on a historical basis particularly for the early '99-'00 cars since that is my budget, and the closest comparison to a 355.

Again, the running costs for a 355 are well known, and the owners have been gracious enough to share with the community. I'd like the same level of response from 360 owners to feel comfortable that part of the price difference between the two can be minimalized by better reliability.

5. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'm interested to see some info on this. A 360 is a still a few yrs away for me, but I'm getting close enough that I'm trying to wrap my mind around what sort of financial benchmarks I want to set for myself before it is "time" to responsibly own/enjoy/DRIVE this without feeling like I'm taking things away from my family by owning it. It's not just about "Can I afford pay for it" -- Threads like this help me quantify the financial PAIN ownership will bring and bring it into tangible terms.

6. Marbella

Marbella Formula 3

Aug 27, 2007
    Marbella
    Full Name:
    Dirk
    Think about 2$ per mile and when it turns out better afterwards, you have a nice deal :)
    For european : 2 euro/km ( witch is a lot more )