Need opinions on detailing my engine on the 512TR. | FerrariChat

Need opinions on detailing my engine on the 512TR.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Oct 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 silvergts1998, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am not a huge fan of the silver crinkle finish that they use on the intake and other parts of the car. Lamborghini does the exact same thing. So I am thinking of having the following powder coated in a bright red. Valve covers, intake plenum and air boxes. I did this with my Lamborghini and I think it made a huge difference! What you think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I had my air boxes painted by JetHot w their heat reflective paint, will do the same on the intake plenum as well. It looks very cool, comes in several colors + it increases performance by cooling the intake air

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Did you have to replace the valve cover gaskets or are they reusable?

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That's pretty nice steve. Did your engine get real hot or something? Looks like it burned that paint right off. Did you do your own engine pull too?

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    had to renew the gaskets

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    the salt we get on the roads on the uk cause this plus it had seven years and 30k road miles of crap on it when i bought it porsche strasse leeds england pulled the engine and did the work here in the uk

7. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Steve what did you do to the plenum runners to get them that bright?

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    painted them

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

What color did you use? They look pretty good. Is it a match to the original color, or is it an off the shelf item?

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You should be able to find an off-the-shelf match to the factory silver/gray plenum and runners. I took a plenum from my TR up to the local Napa store and just browsed their paint supply until I found one that matched - don't remember what it was of course. You just "fog" on a coat over the factory crinkle paint, you don't want to use too much paint and fill in the texture - I've made that mistake in the past and it sucks to fix it.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Adam, heres a cheap hp trick, since you will have the engine out.

Reach into area over wheel wells & remove the flat 4 ' long plastic trumpets that bring fresh air in from doors. If you wrap these in heat reflective blanket material its good for a few extra hp and no one ever sees those anyways unless you are removing the engine

12. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    It looks great Steve. How long did it take to do?

13. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    My .02...

A bright red powder coating would look great on your TR IF you balance out the red in the back of the engine bay (intake plenums & valve covers) with red in the front of the engine bay (air boxes) but I would be sure to:

a) have any raised lettering or logos on these components powder coated in a diff. color such as a black or silver krinkle color (for contrast) and

b) use a true powder coating process (electrostatic + heat)...

When i first got my Testarossa I did what stevef did with his off the shelf paint (not knocking what he did as it looks very nice) but after about 6 months the paint started flaking off my valve covers (especially when i pressured washed the engine bay even with a cold engine) and we all know that changing this cars valve cover's is a real b*tch (both costly and time consuming)..... perhaps i used the wrong kind of heat resistant paint - who knows, but since having these parts powder coated, i have'nt had this problem AT ALL. Biggest plus's with powder coating for me are that it looks great; is not affected by engine temp, (so is very durable) and completely repels oil, grease and brake fluid!

cheers,

Doc.