If a rookie becomes F1 WDC... | FerrariChat

If a rookie becomes F1 WDC...

Discussion in 'F1' started by stever, Oct 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    ......doesn't it diminish the stature of F1?

Put aside the drama, shenanigans and conspiracy theory..........if F1 is the ultimate driving test, shouldn't it be somewhat harder than Hamilton has had it?

In the really old days, there was something called racecraft, which was an experience and knowledge about how 'to finish first, you must first finish'. Today's F1(the regs, the reliability, the whole lot) means that a driver is less 'complete', but still able to win.

Clearly Hamilton has been groomed for this success, but I hope that future F1 champs don't all come from the corporate robot mold.

2. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Oh no another excuse for a Hamilton bashing thread:(

3. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Only if you let it.

The intent is to discuss the failings(if you feel that way), or the success(if you feel that way) of F1, and it's future. Hamilton is just the guy who happens to be on the verge of an historic accomplishment, and I'd say the same things about anybody else.

4. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Well i have placed my bets;)

5. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    why not?.......think of it like a farm system for F1 drivers.........sort of like BMW has....

and I don't think that Hami winning diminishes anything, the stars happen to be aligned for him on his rookie year, good for him.........like my very wise mentor says, "Sh*t happens!"...... Hami may win this year and never win another WDC again.....that's the fun part, you never know......

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Ever since the scoring change (extending points to 8th and making 2ns place 8 points vs 6), consistency has been more valued than winning.

Actually, I think a win should be 11pts, 2nd to 8 kept as they are now (8 - 1).

-dsd

7. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    I'd like to see Kimi (Choice #1) or Fernando win the F1 Championship. It's not that I dislike Hamilton as I feel he's the real deal. I just can't listen to the British press glorify him like the 2nd coming.

Feff

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A trend that MS started nonetheless.

PS: Hamilton isn't the first rookie WDC in F1.

9. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    No. If he's got the most points at the end he deserves it.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Really? Then who?

-dsd

11. icky

icky Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Anchorage, AK
    Full Name:
    Jesse B.
    Personally I don't think it diminishes anything. The chances of a top team putting a rookie, whom has incredible skill, in arguably the best car on the grid doesn't happen often.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Farina, 1950

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I guess they could have all been considered rookies in 1950, being the first year.

14. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    That's the root of the problem IMO. How did he get those points? Good driving? Because there are good drivers finishing mid-pack too.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

16. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    lol, good one

17. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    i think its mostley equiptment...anyone of the driver on F1 circut is capable of winning WDC givin the right equiptment...lets not forget hamilton,like him or not, can also be someone special...like JORDON or TIGER.....MO

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks.

I think it is one of those things where you can engage somebody (like an overly zealous LH fan) into a bet and win a couple of beers. :) It is also the kind of thing I'm screaming back at the TV each time a Speed guy brings up that LH will be the first blablabla.

I hate nothing more than trite air fillers. Some statements are so blatantly obvious they don't even need to finish the...

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hardly a rookie, just because the series was renamed ...

Regarding LH winning this year, well all it does is confirm as 90% of the general public already believe, it's the car that matters. This ofcourse is actually true but this will reinforce this even more. Best of luck to him.
    Pete

20. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Take away traction control and don't put the next rookie in 1 of the 2 best cars on the grid, with the best overall team of the year supporting him and see how "easy" it is to win. Hamilton was practically adopted by Ron Dennis and has had every advantage at McLaren (basically the best team this year), otherwise we wouldn't see a rookie fighting for the WDC.

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Only TECHNICALLY true...

22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It doesn't matter, because folks will argue all day long about the 'what-ifs'.

WHAT IF -

Ralf was in a McLaren ?
    If JPM was still in a McLaren ?
    If Heidfeld was in a McLaren ?
    If Button was in a McLaren ?
    If Ruebens was still at Ferrari ?
    If Williams had a 'motor' ?
    If Honda and Toyota could ever figure it all out ?

In 2007, the best car is a McLaren, and the best driver is a rookie, and that's just the way it is.

Would Hamilton be a contenda if he was in anything BUT a McLaren ?
    Noooooooooooooooo

BUT - Our pal Ron Dennis saw something in the kid - and he was right.
    We can choose to ignore it, we can choose to hate Ron, but the kid is driving great, you just can't knock him.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1000

24. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    OT:
    I thought that was funny too.

OOT:
    Varsha is a master at calling the obvious. He would be good on "Speed-Radio" Sometimes I'm not sure if we are watching the same feed because Varsha will miss something that I know I just saw. As for trite fillers, how many times do you think he had to say Mantico (sp) California after he said Scott Speed's name?

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Which made me react with "so efffin what" each time he said that. He might as well be from Timbuktu, I don't care.

You can tell the air fillers from the ones with real knowledge apart by how they call the drivers: We all know that MS has seven titles and that his first name is Michael, but these baboons keep calling him by the full name including the titles. Same goes for Senna or Prost. Or any current driver always is named by the full first and last name, often the same for the team. Why? I think by now we all know that Lewis' last name is Hamilton and that Hamilton's first name is Lewis and that he drives a McLaren, which is powered by Mercedes. Why not call him Lewis or Hamilton? But no, it is rookie driver Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes McLaren. Air fillers.

<stepping off my podium, stopping to be a cyber filler>
    :)